Where can I find decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use two basic types of inkjet decal paper; clear and white. clear for most stuff, white for some applications (but often would require precise trimming, which is dissuasive). thing with this stuff is you have to spray clear on top after printing else the ink will run and ruin your cool stuff. i've purchased semroc kits that have untreated inkjet decals. i scan all my kit's decals now prior to application just in case. i have no experience with laser printing of homemade decals.

For the Exocet, I used white background decal sheet. I used the magic brush in "paint.net" to change the background of the decal file to black and the foreground to clear. This invariably leaves a white border around the edge which I touch up with a black Sharpie. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your

View attachment 544735

View attachment 544736

i use two basic types of inkjet decal paper; clear and white. clear for most stuff, white for some applications (but often would require precise trimming, which is dissuasive). thing with this stuff is you have to spray clear on top after printing else the ink will run and ruin your cool stuff. i've purchased semroc kits that have untreated inkjet decals. i scan all my kit's decals now prior to application just in case. i have no experience with laser printing of homemade decals.
Just so I’m understanding you @Pappy, are you saying that there is paper available where the filmy bit, which attaches to the rocket, is white by default and the pattern is printed around it? If so, that may solve my problem. I have an inkjet printer and I’ve printed ones with clear film, those required clearcoat as well. In fact, the clearcoat was a standard addition to this set so they’re just the tiniest bit more resilient.

And I’m guessing that this is what you described, @Ronz Rocketz ?

For reference, I’m putting together a standard-size Der Red Max (with some modifications, I’ll detail them elsewhere when I can) and the decals in that kit appear to be clear-filmed with the skulls, crosses, and some faux-German text being printed with white pigment on clear film and blue backing paper. I’m guessing that their factories in China have specialized equipment to do this.

Hey Chuck! Thanks for your suggestion.

I should point out that this thread is not new, I actually created it over a year ago and I resolved the issues that were plaguing me on the build I was working on at the time. That particular link would have been helpful then!

More recently I’ve had different but related issues so I resuscitated the thread to ask about my now more specialized needs (specifically printing white).

You can do a double decal using white decal paper as an underliner:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/fliskits-v2-v2-bumper-wac.158214/and
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/semroc-mx-jayhawk-now-available.160836/ (post #14)
OR
Print the decal on white paper with a background color matching your rocket, then cut around and apply the decal. All the graphics programs have a color palette where you can adjust and customize the colors. Trick is matching the airframe color exactly. Here's an example (black is easy):
1667561816558.png
If you are using an inkjet printer the ink may smear around the cut edge of the decal and you may have to touch it up, No such problems with a laser printer. Make sure you use laser decal paper with a laser printer.

Last edited:
Hey Chuck! Thanks for your suggestion.

I should point out that this thread is not new, I actually created it over a year ago and I resolved the issues that were plaguing me on the build I was working on at the time. That particular link would have been helpful then!

More recently I’ve had different but related issues so I resuscitated the thread to ask about my now more specialized needs (specifically printing white).

Sorry. I responded on my cell and only saw a new post that was on the top of the page. I did not see the age of the thread.

@smstachwick here's what i use right now. the white is waterslide material colored white. not a perfect solution, but offers options in lieu of actually printing with white ink.

decals.JPG

Just so I’m understanding you @Pappy, are you saying that there is paper available where the filmy bit, which attaches to the rocket, is white by default and the pattern is printed around it? If so, that may solve my problem. I have an inkjet printer and I’ve printed ones with clear film, those required clearcoat as well. In fact, the clearcoat was a standard addition to this set so they’re just the tiniest bit more resilient.

And I’m guessing that this is what you described, @Ronz Rocketz ?

For reference, I’m putting together a standard-size Der Red Max (with some modifications, I’ll detail them elsewhere when I can) and the decals in that kit appear to be clear-filmed with the skulls, crosses, and some faux-German text being printed with white pigment on clear film and blue backing paper. I’m guessing that their factories in China have specialized equipment to do this.
The DRM white is probably screen printed which isn't possible with an inkjet printer. Whether using white or clear inkjet decal sheets, you'll need to use clear spray 3 times so it doesn't dissolve in the water.

The DRM white is probably screen printed which isn't possible with an inkjet printer. Whether using white or clear inkjet decal sheets, you'll need to use clear spray 3 times so it doesn't dissolve in the water.
Yep, I saw that when I replaced my Goblin decals last year.

Back