When you find spam on the forum....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Staff member
Reaction score
....please, don't reply to the message. Just report it.

When you reply to the spam, it just creates more work for the staff to clean things up.

Thank you.

-Kevin

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
....please, don't reply to the message. Just report it.

When you reply to the spam, it just creates more work for the staff to clean things up.

Thank you.

-Kevin
Does that include replying to the thread to tell others you have reported the post? I used to report the spam then go back to the thread and post "reported" to save others the effort of reporting it too. I gave it up because the forum required a one minute wait, but are you saying you would rather we didn't do that?

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Does that include replying to the thread to tell others you have reported the post? I used to report the spam then go back to the thread and post "reported" to save others the effort of reporting it too. I gave it up because the forum required a one minute wait, but are you saying you would rather we didn't do that?
I hadn't given up on the wait times... So I'd like to know too.

troj

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct -- even replying to say you've reported it.

The problem is once we get rid of the spam, we then have to go back and get rid of the message saying it has been reported. There are semi-automated tools for the former, but not the latter.

It's better if multiple people report the post then if people reply to the post.

-Kevin

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score

The problem is once we get rid of the spam, we then have to go back and get rid of the message saying it has been reported. There are semi-automated tools for the former, but not the latter.

It's better if multiple people report the post then if people reply to the post.

-Kevin
Got it. Thanks!

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Good to know...

I'll just report'em to you

chadrog

Reaction score
Is there really any reason to report that you've reported it? About as pointless as posting that a PM has been sent...:eyeroll:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Is there really any reason to report that you've reported it? About as pointless as posting that a PM has been sent...:eyeroll:
Now we know not to. I was just trying to save the Mods from having to deal with several reports of the same spam.

And posting that a PM has been sent... Perhaps to let other's know that the item in Yard Sale has already been bought (or claimed).

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
well if a person doesn't have 'auto-notification' of PM's turned on(or doesn't check their forum email address on a regular basis) and doesn't log on regularly...then a post about a pm makes sense.
Rex

nute

Reaction score
Thanks for this Kevin- I've been in violation of the whole "reported" thing, now I'll know not to. I always wondered what the mods opinions were on this issue...

Thanks,
Nate

KennB

I-95 Envoy
Reaction score

-Kevin
Good to know. Will just report spam in the future and not report the report.
To the Mods, thanks for sweeping the junk out very quickly.

troj

Staff member
Reaction score
Sold items are up to the seller to change. Please don't ask the staff to do so.

-Kevin

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make the text box response optional when one makes a report?

troj

Staff member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make the text box response optional when one makes a report?
Not really -- we already sometimes scratch our heads about why things are reported, and that's with a comment.

Matt is correct - if you type "spam" we know you think it's spam.

-Kevin

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not really -- we already sometimes scratch our heads about why things are reported, and that's with a comment.

Matt is correct - if you type "spam" we know you think it's spam.

-Kevin

Ok, forced redundancy.

troj

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, forced redundancy.
The thing is, posts get reported for a variety of reasons. What you enter tells us why you're reporting it.

We've had folks report legitimate posts as spam. Sometimes a report also includes references to other information which helps us realize that yep, there's a problem that we need to deal with.

-Kevin

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Last edited:

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
"Spam spam spam spam spam spam and spam".

Classic Pythons.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
bump

@o1d_dude... I DON'T LIKE SPAM! :wink:

Last edited:

gerbs4me

Reaction score
Now I know how to report the spam. Thanks for posting this.

5x7

Reaction score
How about if mods look at the first post of a new user before it goes public?