When Will I Get this Habit Department: Sand First Then Mark with Pencil Lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sooner or later I will remember to do this in the correct order. When I make motor mounts and when I attach fins (not through the wall) I lightly sand the tube where the glue will go. This is because most of the tubes I have have a glossy, “glassine” coating on them that makes the glue not want to adhere. Lightly sanding the tube at the attachment area makes the glue joint very strong because the glue has some fibers to “grab on to”.
Anyway, the point is that I keep making my pencil lines on the tube BEFORE I do the light sanding. Then I end up sanding off the pencil lines. Then I have to re-draw the pencil lines. Doh! I will get hang of this sooner or later…

EAC92AA7-3BDD-412D-AD20-7617B7591DE5.jpeg

I just putty up the spirals, sand the whole tube down, then do the pencil lines.

I find that a fine-point Sharpie gives a much more enduring marking line than a pencil, yet can be mostly erased with a wad of paper towel or cotton swab moistened with 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol when needed. (The sooner the better.)

Good skies,
GlueckAuf

I just did a marking error. I had drawn the cut outs with a pencil, then I decided to mark them with a black gel pen so they would stand out better. I am quasi-glassing this rocket so I applied the first coat of water based poly and the black lines smeared. I should have just waited until after the primer. Never thought that would happen...

Cut Outs.jpg

-Bob

Back