When is the NASA SLS launch date?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think after they light this thing there's going to be a big sigh of relief after S1 burnout.

So is that a "failed test, roll back to assembly building" or is it "it's not optimal, but we can proceed?"

Edit: from what I've read they feel they made progress on the leak, sounding optimistic.

Artemis Cryogenic Demonstration Test Concludes, All Objectives Met​

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022...onstration-test-concludes-all-objectives-met/
Now they wait upon the Space Force's waiver for the launch window; the batteries' nominal charge will only last as long as the shorter launch window. If not granted then its a roll-back to the assembly building and a rescheduled launch date. SLS's flight termination system, designed to destroy the rocket in the event of an emergency, is certified by the Space Force. As the agency responsible for public safety, it must sign off on the system's batteries every 25 days. SLS's current certification expired earlier this month and re-certification work can only be done inside the VAB. The Space Force, which oversees launch safety, gave NASA a waiver to go forward with launch attempts Tuesday and Oct. 2.

Then there is the weather issues. Hurricane Fiona should not be a problem but another depression is building near Venezuela that could affect the launch.

Last edited:
The Sept 27 launch date will almost for certain be scrubbed. A major hurricane (not yet named) is expected to hit the west coast of Florida on Wednesday. It effects will be felt before at least a day before in the launch area. That leaves Oct 2 for launching but the concern should be whether debris from the hurricane will damage the rocket. If so, it should be rolled back to the assembly building and thus a later date in October would be recommended.
Edit: to add link to image https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/145524.shtml?cone#contents
1663947160181.png

Last edited:
The Sept 27 launch date will almost for certain be scrubbed. A major hurricane (not yet named) is expected to hit the west coast of Florida on Wednesday. It effects will be felt before at least a day before in the launch area. That leaves Oct 2 for launching but the concern should be whether debris from the hurricane will damage the rocket. If so, it should be rolled back to the assembly building and thus a later date in October would be recommended.
Hi @Lord Rory Gin,

Just a side issue, please. I am getting a little lost as to where to download from NOAA the best weather maps and animations.

Could you kindly provide the exact link from where you acquired that image.

Thank you.

Stanley

OK. Good.

Now a related question, please.

NOAA used to provide a website with animations. I found that fine. What I was looking for, however -- and maybe NOAA doesn't provide it any longer -- was the animations including tropical forecast points. That I cannot find.

Has that been discontinued, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thank you.

Stanley

"Hurricane? It's not optimal, but we can proceed..."

"Wait, what?"
Launch cancelled and they are preparing for roll back to the assembly building. Final decision to roll back will be made Sunday morning and future launch date will be announced in the future. Next window is Oct. 17 – Oct. 31: 11 launch opportunities, excluding Oct. 24, 25, 26, and 28.

"NASA is foregoing a launch opportunity Tuesday, Sept. 27, and preparing for rollback, while continuing to watch the weather forecast associated with Tropical Storm Ian. During a meeting Saturday morning, teams decided to stand down on preparing for the Tuesday launch date to allow them to configure systems for rolling back the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft to the Vehicle Assembly Building. Engineers deferred a final decision about the roll to Sunday, Sept. 25, to allow for additional data gathering and analysis. If Artemis I managers elect to roll back, it would begin late Sunday night or early Monday morning."

Not sure why they wouldn't roll back at this point. If not launching early next week, it's second half of October, which almost certainly means replacing the FTS battery, which requires rollback. Not trying to second guess folks who are in the know, but given they have three weeks until next launch opportunity, you would think they would make the most of the time.

Speculation is they don't want to roll back because the vibration makes more problems.

Back