when did Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg0813

Reaction score
Start using heavy card stock for fins? I realize that most(some) of you folks build your own designs. I was really disappointed when my latest rocket had stiff card board

I think the relatively new Estes Xtreme uses them... but other than that, I think they're all balsa (for builder kits) or plastic (for RTF or E2X) kits.

The Centuri then Estes Viking has used cardstock fins since its introduction as the Akela-1 Cub Scout rocket from Centuri in 1973, and it still does today. Actually, the Centuri Vector-V had those same fins a year before. The Viking has been sold by Estes since 1986.

The current Estes Twin Factor two-stage saucer-ish thing also has cardstock fins. There are other examples from other makers I can think of (Fliskits MegaBucks and Buckshot come immediately to mind).

So again, which kit?

The #7306 Xtreme does, as mentioned, use card stock fins. Several of the “inherited” Centuri designs, as Bernard said earlier, used/use card stock fins. Card stock fins work well on fairly small, lighter weight rockets - like the Xtreme - and can be a good choice for a beginner level kit since you can get a good finish without needing any filler.

Start using heavy card stock for fins? I realize that most(some) of you folks build your own designs. I was really disappointed when my latest rocket had stiff card board
That is garbage….card stock fins will bend/fold on harder landings…get yourself some balsa and save the headache which you will most surely experience down the road using card stock. You may be able to laminate the card stock with thin styrene plastic…but i would just use balsa and paper laminate for less trouble And call it a day.

I am definitely not a fan of cardstock as a fin material. It is the primary reason I formed a very negative first impression of Centuri the first time I saw their kits in a LHS (Rich's Hobbytown, RIP) in the 70's.

That said, not a big deal in some small low-powered kits. And if you really care, just cut some balsa to replace.

Back