When are you going trick or treating?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxley

Reaction score
In the Wonderful :rolleyes: state of Utah, we can't do anything on Sundays, except go to church of course!

We're forced to go trick or treating on Saturday night this year! I'm curious if this is specific to Utah or not?

Any place else trick or treating on Saturday this year?

Pat
(not a mormon!)

yeah...i'll party saturday night...but im in college, so i party on saturday nights anyway. lol. maybe i'll wear a bed sheet to the party instead.

Interesting question... I thought we were the only ones with strange trick-or-treat rules.

Nevada celebrates its admission day on October 31. It's a really big deal here in the capital (Carson City) - with a prade, carnical, concerts, etc. So for years, trick-or-treat was always on October 30 - the little kiddies wouldn't be on the streets the same day as all the Nevada Day party people (after drinking all day).

Then they decided to have the celebration each year on the last Saturday of the month - with a state holiday on the Friday. So this year we have a parade and all on October 30, offices closed on October 29. So trick-or-treat will be on Sunday. If, however, October 31 falls on a Saturday, trick-or-treat will be on Friday, October 30.

Is that clear? There will be a test... aw - who cares?

When I was a kid, we had a tradition called "begger's night" and we'd trick or treat the night before Halloween. As we got older and more independent, we realized we could go out on both nights. Different sides of town of course.

I can see some folks objections to trick or treating on Sunday, but surely this must have happened before. What did we do the last time???

MetMan

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday for leftovers.

Halarious seeing the looks on peoples faces the day after wondering what is going on...

It is really strange around here. Can't trick or treat on Sunday. Can't trick or treat on Friday because of high school football. For reasons known only to God and the local government, they chose Thursday this year. :confused:

On hte other hand, my boys will trick or treat locally, then again around their grandpap's house on Saturday. :cool:

The German kids will be out in droves come Sunday evening. I would have thought that they would limited to doing it on Saturday as well since pretty much everything is shut down on Sundays here - on the 7th day, they rest.

I had 52 trick or treaters last year - Halloween is really picking up strength in many villages, mine included. Of course, they get over 1 pound of 100% American treats from me (candy, potato chips, soda), all things they cannot get on the local economy. The only bad thing is that 1 November is a German holiday, so the spooks are out until very late. Last year, my last visitor came just before midnight!

Last year I had two kids come to the house. We've lived in the same house for fifteen years, and our high-water mark for trick-or-treaters is eleven. The house sits back from the street and it's a fairly long walk from the sidewalk, so most kids don't bother.

Originally posted by huxley
In the Wonderful :rolleyes: state of Utah, we can't do anything on Sundays, except go to church of course!

We're forced to go trick or treating on Saturday night this year! I'm curious if this is specific to Utah or not?

Any place else trick or treating on Saturday this year?

Pat
(not a mormon!)

In my home town, every trick or treat night was on October 30. The reasoning was that all that all the bad kids would go do bad things on Halloween, and that if the other kids weren't out trick or treating, it'd be easier to catch them. The police even increased their patrols on the 31st for this reason. The bad kids, being smarter than the city government, did their damage on the 30th. In the 15 years I lived there, the city government didn't figure this out.

We barely ever get trick or treaters, I think we might have had one person come a few years but thats it. Britain doesn't seem to bother too much with halloween.

November 5th coming soon! Fireworks day!

Also known as Bonfire Night :D Much more fun that halloween!

Yeah we barely ever get ToTers either, they know to avoid our house :evilgrin:

Phil

T or T will be Sunday night here in the Bluegrass.

In my vinyl jungle neighborhood, we get deluged at dusk. The homes are fairly dense so many bring the kids from elsewhere...and then creep along in the cars keeping watch over the young'uns.

I must admit I enjoy T or T just as much now as I did as a youngster. My boy will be Captain Hook, and I will don an illuminated skull mask.

Since we can't be two places at once we leave a bowl of candy at the front door. Surprisingly enough...the kids walk away with only one or two pieces of candy each.

November 5th coming soon! Fireworks day!

Hey! I didn't know England celebrated my birthday! :kill:

What does Fireworks day celebrate?

Much better to have fireworks in winter than July 4th - at least fire wise!

Originally posted by Rick James
So for years, trick-or-treat was always on October 30 - the little kiddies wouldn't be on the streets the same day as all the Nevada Day party people (after drinking all day).

Wow, your kiddies drink all day on the day before halloween? :)

Many years ago, this guy who was called Guy Fawkes dug a tunnel under the Houses of Parliament with the help of a group of Catholics. They then placed lots of barrells of gunpowder under it and planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament and the King too. Fortunately the plan was foiled, Guy Fawkes confessed and was hung.

So to celebrate the Brits have fireworks and also make big models of Guy Fawkes which we then burn on bonfires.

Historical rant - There's pretty strong evidence to suggest the none of this ever happened, the whole gunpowder plot was made up just to frame a group a catholics.

Trick or treating is Sunday evening but I wish it were tonight. All of the class parties are today and that means the sugar high will be spread out from Friday through Monday. :rolleyes: I've been surprised at the load of junk kids bring home from class parties these days. We used to be thrilled with a cupcake and a glass of Kook-aid but at my kids' school they get a plate full of snacks and send home a big bunch of junk on top of it.

I was up into the wee hours of the night finishing up Gandalf's costume and if I may say so myself it looks very fine. But alas, Frodo just informed me that two buttons popped off his vest sometime between last May and this morning. It's a 40 year old vest and I should be able to just materialize those with no problem. :p

You guys are going to love this one . . .

Some of you know I'm in the Air Force (six months until retirement, woo-hoo!). Well, up here at Elmendorf they've taken the brass ring for "anal" this year.
They initially mandated that trick-or-treat will happen from 6-8pm on Saturday October 30th. (In my 21 years of service, I've always wondered why the military has to regulate halloween, but that's a different story.) Well, there's been enough uproar that instead of admitting they've made a mistake - someone came up with the brilliant idea of doing trick-or-treat on both Saturday and Sunday (of course the 6-8pm still applies).
Fortunately, I don't live on the base (for these type of reasons), but the people who work for me that do live here, now have had to go out and buy twice as much candy - to cover both nights!!!
So they've regulated something, that in all honesty doesn't need to be regulated. And then they had further insult by telling everyone to go out and buy twice as much candy.
You'd think someone, at some point, would simply just admit that they've made a mistake . . .

Originally posted by huxley

Pat,

Lived in Utah (Layton...not far from you) about 10 years ago. Know what you mean. An interesting environment to say the least. Have since left exile. Here we'll be tricky treatin' on Sunday night.

Originally posted by akpilot
You guys are going to love this one . . .

Well, there's been enough uproar that instead of admitting they've made a mistake - someone came up with the brilliant idea of doing trick-or-treat on both Saturday and Sunday (of course the 6-8pm still applies)...Fortunately, I don't live on the base (for these type of reasons), but the people who work for me that do live here, now have had to go out and buy twice as much candy - to cover both nights!!!

'Tis the only American thing to do. It does my heart proud to know the US military is protecting the rights of our young citizens.
:eek:

Do the kids trick or treating at Sandman's house get candy "nose cones"? ;) :D

I was thinking about going on November 1 just to mess with people. Wouldn't that be funny? :D

Our family does not celebrate halloween... the only thing we do on that "holiday" is give the kiddies a bag of candy... which includes a track. Knowing my mom, she'll probabily say a little prayer for each bag she hands out.

I have to work so I'm not going to be doing much of anything.

Doesn't matter, I haven't gone trick or treating in years and I get to make money so I can buy myself a Lightning Strike kit.:D

Whew, glad it's over - at least in Germany. I had a record 78 trick or treaters this year, more then 95% German kids as there are only a few Americans living in my village.

Of course, they like my house because I give out lots of American candy and stuff they cannot get on the local economy. The stats of what I gave out this year:

84 pounds of candy (small stuff and big stuff) - yes that is over 1 pound per kid...

7 cases (36 count) of Frito Kay assorted Big Grab Chips - Dorito's and Frito's were the most requested.

10 cases (24 count) soda pop - Mountain Dew and Welch's grape were the biggest hits)

178 Halloween Necklaces with flashing LED eyes

I honestly thought I was going to have leftovers - there are still kids running around (tomorrow is a German holiday) but I ran out at 9:30pm.

I felt sorry for the American kids on base, they were only allowed to trick or treat on base from 6:30 - 8:30 pm on Friday! Who trick or treats on the 29th of October?!?! At least the folks at akpilots base got to do it a little closer to the actual day, but I still think it stinks...

Germans are really starting to get into the "spirit" of Halloween. Of course, I may be hearing from the local dentists by the end of the week!

IF I go trick or treating, (too frickin cold out) I think instead of dressing up I'll just carry around my G-Force and call it a costume.

I guess a Rocketboy?

Blue

Originally posted by joepolicy
Germans are really starting to get into the "spirit" of Halloween.

Seems to have peaked here in the UK. Completeley inknown 20 years ago, it only really started to pick up maybe 10 years ago, and peaked a couple of years ago. This year Mrs Hokky took the kids, but many people didn't answer the door, and we only had one group of kids knock on our door. Maybe it's just been a passing fad. Maybe this year's low turnout had something to do with it being a sunday.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Seems to have peaked here in the UK. Completeley inknown 20 years ago, it only really started to pick up maybe 10 years ago, and peaked a couple of years ago. This year Mrs Hokky took the kids, but many people didn't answer the door, and we only had one group of kids knock on our door. Maybe it's just been a passing fad. Maybe this year's low turnout had something to do with it being a sunday.

Begging is still a criminal offence in England and Wales, so is demanding money with menaces. My plan this year was to cover the entrance with bio-hazard tape and then if any ToTs crossed the line I would go out in a full protection suit and spray them .
But we went out for a meal instead. :p

Back