What's your favorite song?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew,

Yeah the Jam was either the Ritz or the Palladium in 76-78 Setting Sons or Sound Affects Tour. Can't remember if I saw them once or twice. Haven't seen PW solo live but really like "illuminations" and his other solo stuff. Haven't followed Westerberg cept what comes across the airwaves on WFUV. Were you also at the Clash at the infamous week in Bonds? Bill Nelson is doing a UK only tour this fall titled "Bebop Deluxe and Beyond". A little bummed he's not coming to our shores. Recent artists I like include Ben Harper. Also recently saw Prince at MSG. Great funky songwriter and really great guitarist as well.

out for now,

Andy

The Jam werre one of the first bands I ever got really into. I was too young, back in the day, to go to see them live; but I used to tape their tunes off the radio, or pirate a mate's LP, in return for a copy of my Specials/Madness tapes ;)

Theres too many good tunes to choose from, but my fave Jam tracks include: Saturdays's Kids, Billy Hunt, Strange Town & Down in the Tube Station at Midnight.

I've liked Paul Weller less & less, since The Jam. He seems to get more boring as each year goes by. He does look like hes going to become the Cliff Richard of punk. I saw him at Glastonbury 1994, and he was 'dull'. After a few numbers, I went back to my tent, and listened from there (my tent was near the main stage, that year). The only Jam he played was a couple of bars from This is The Modern World, at the end of the encore.

I have seen Bruce Foxten (bassist from The Jam) a few times. He plays with Irish punk superstars, Stiff Little Fingers nowadays. They often throw a couple of Jam numbers into a gig, and sound better than they ever have live.

Ummm...
Conspiracy Of One - The Offspring
Crawling - Linkin Park
Still Waiting - Sum 41
Coming Into Los Angelese - Arlo Guthrie
Blurry - Puddle Of Mudd

Phil

Dan,
Haven't followed Weller that much solo, but have heard the criticism from a few people. I did want to see the solo shows he did over here recently, but didn't get a chance.
Andy, missed the Bonds shows but saw the Clash twice on the Pier in I guess 1980. Saw the Jam in Port Chester for the Gift tour, so I guess they were around more than once.
Westerberg's solo stuff is quite good; he's put out a lot of material in the past two years after a dry spell. Saw him solo last summer.
Actually like Prince a great deal. Heard he does a great "Whole Lotta Love" in concert.
Drew

I guess if we are shifting to live performances, The best I have seen more recently are:
AC/DC - Ball Breaker tour
America and Kansas live
Moody Blues- Still moody after all these years.

Live Rock Performances?

Durn near anything With Eric Clapton

Close second - Three Dog Night

Live Classical - Why would I want to listen to the programs rustle on a recording? If I want that, I'll go to the performance.

Originally posted by illini868891
"I Love You" by Barney

LMAO!

In Rock there are so many????
But...
Rock: Enchanted - Stevie Nicks
Rock Band: Variety Tonight - REO Speedwagon
Rock Band: Get it Hot - AC/DC
80's: Destination Unknown - Missing Persons
Top 40: Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne

And I can't stand that Outkast band. If I hear "Hey Ya" one more time..... :kill:

Cyder Yes, I always thought the Jam deserved alot more recognition at least as much as the Clash. The Style Council's early stuff was also pretty good. "All Mod Cons" and "Setting Sons" are both amazing. And individual songs as you said "Strange Town", "Down in Tube Station" and also "Standards" from The Modern World. And since you mentioned "David Watts" I keep on forgetting to mention Ray Davies as a great unsung musical person. I especially like the "Preservation" era concept albums. Over to the Live shows subthread I also recently (two yrs. ago) saw Procol Harum. They were just Amazing and their 2003 album "The Well's On Fire" has some great moments.

Andy

Oh, live?
I saw Metallica during the black album tour. Best ever.
On the way home I almost ran into a train because I couldn't hear the horn. :D
And that was after a 2 hour drive from the venue. But it was late and really dark, and I was a bit sleepy. Luckily my passenger hit me and pointed to make sure I saw the train.

Not that I care to ruin my hearing or anything, but I do like it loud enough that I don't hear the people around me or myself singing over the band. :rolleyes:

Oh, I saw Pearl Jam too, a few years ago. 7th row, dead center. Great show.

Tim

Smashing Pumpkins - Rocket
English Beat - Save It For Later
Leslie Gore - You Don't Own Me
New Order - Everything's Gone Green
Desmond Dekker - Israelites
Cure - Primary
Buzzcocks - What Do I Get
Depeche Mode - Boys Say Go!
Creation - Making Time
Smiths - What Difference Does It Make
Nitzer Ebb - Join In The Chant
Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
Subhumans - Mickey Mouse is Dead
Bauhaus - Boys
Faint - Agenda Suicide
Man Or Astroman - 9 volt
Ramones - 53rd & 3rd
Madness - The Prince
Muse - Citizen Erased
Adam & the Ants - Stand And Deliver
Placebo - Pure Morning
Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi
Jam - Start
Front 242 - U Men
B-52's - Planet Claire
Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson & Clover
Selecter - The Selecter
Human League - Love Action
Brenda Lee - I Want To Be Wanted
Yeah Yeah's - Y Control
Devo - Through Being Cool
Joy Division - Transmission
Specials - Blank Expression
Air - All I need
Booker T And The MG's - Green Onions
Visage - Fade To Grey
FischerSpooner - Sweetness
Gary Numan - You Are In My Vision
Ladytron - Blue Jeans
OMD - Electricity
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Israe
Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
Vicious Pink - Cccan't You See
George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag
Soft Cell - Meat Murder My Angel
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
Yazoo - In My Room
Beatles - Across the Universe

.....oh whoops, did you say only one??? impossible! i demand a re-thread!

:D

...what can i say, i LOVE music!

(Fun thread to read...though, stang, I must be old, because I don't recognize an awful lot of those...)

- Fire On High - Electric Light Orchestra
- Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
- Leave It - Yes
- More Than a Feeling - Boston
- Mission: Impossible theme - Lalo Shifrin
- Duel of the Fates (from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace) - John Williams

The Mission Impossible 2 theme by Limp Bizkit is amazing also. :D

Originally posted by Andy Turits
Cyder Yes, I always thought the Jam deserved alot more recognition at least as much as the Clash.
They did, over here. Great Britain in 1980, and The Jam couldn't do a thing wrong chartwise. First band to enter the charts at No1 with their first No1 hit (Going Underground). Straight in at the top with the follow-up too (Start). Not one edition of Smash Hits would go by without them being mentioned.

They tried to break the USA market a few times, but never quite managed it.

RE: The Kinks - I saw them a couple of years ago at Glastonbury, and they were great fun. A bit AOR/Caberet/MOR, understandable given their average ages, but the tunes stood up for themselves. Ray didn't even bother singing Lola - he let us (the crowd) do it. They did Apeman too, which is one of my faves.

I can go on about music all night! :rolleyes:

I got introduced to the Jam at a summer camp I worked at in 1980. A Brit counselor loved them and called us Americans wankers because they weren't popular over here! I still remember him walking around with his cassette deck playing "Start" and going, "Listen to the bass; it's bloody "Taxman"! Guitar solo is too!
BTW, really like the Kinks' Sleepwalker. Played that a lot when it came out in "77, I think.
Drew Tomko

Yeah,

Drew, Cyder....tuning in the late 70s... coming in a little clearer...oops... I knew that most Jam releases hit the UK charts at #1. I'd run down to the magazine store (news agent if you will) and pick up the Melody Maker to get the news on them and other releases and then run over to an import store in Greenwich Village to get them. I've got all those 7" with the 12" hole singles like you guys have over there by the Jam and Costello and Buzzcocks and stuff. Jam DVD is great.
Saw the Kinks about 1980? Low Budget Tour? Great...Dave D. also underrated guitarist. Sadly chose to skip Ray's "Storytellers" bit but hope he or they'll come round again.
Sleepwalker is also great esp "Juke Box Music" and "Life Goes On".

Radio... Great Great List...Desmond Dekker, Plastique Bertrand...and on and on and on.

over and out
Andy

OH MAN!!!!! Another brain strain.Why don't you just ask something simple next time like explaining the physics behind time travel or something.LOL! Well let's see now;Deserted island! One song! Over and over and over again.You know I really don't know but here are some of my faves.Let me think about it a bit.Y'all look through the pile and see if ya' see anything you like.

Green Grass and High Tides
Ghost Riders in the Sky
Hurry Sundown
There Goes Another Love Song-The Outlaws

Swamp Music
Ballad of Curtis Loew
Simple Man
Tuesday's Gone
On the Hunt
Down South Jukin'
Smokestack Lightnin"
Don't Ask Me No Questions
I Know a Little
You Got That Right-Lynyrd Skynyrd

Bounty Hunter
Gator Country
Fall of the Peacemaker
Edge of Sundown
Dreams I'll Never See
Ain't Even Close
Freebird(better than Skynyrd)
Stone in Your Heart-Molly Hatchet

Highway Song
Wishing Well
Left Turn
Baby Blue
Train,Train-Blackfoot

Gallows Pole
No Quarter
What Is and What Should Never Be
Moby Dick
Immigrant Song
Battle of Evermore
When the Levee Breaks
In the Evening-Zeppelin

Playin' With Fire
Heart Breaker
Sympathy for the Devil
Beast of Burden-Stones

Planet Caravan
Into the Void
Sabbra Cadabra
Megalomania
Hole in the Sky
Heaven and Hell
Falling Off the Edge of the World
Country Girl
Children of the Sea
Walk Away-Black Sabbath

Still Lovin'You
China White
The Zoo
Rock You Like a Hurricane-Scorpions

T~N~T
Rock~N~Roll Singer
Stiff Upper Lip
Who Made Who
Thunder Struck
Whole Lotta' Rosie
Pretty much everything else from AC/DC

Hybernation
Great White Buffalo
Dog Eat Dog
Free For All
Bite Down Hard
Paralyzed-Ted Nuggent

The entire album The Warning by Queensryche(it is a rock opera)

Fuel
Unforgiven Unforgiven 2
Wherever I May Roam
Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
Stone Cold Crazy-Metallica(Lars is DA MAN!)

Cumbersome-Seven Mary Three

My Own Prison
With Arms Wide Open
What's This Life For?-Creed

Alive
Evenflow
Jeremy
Why Go-Pearl Jam

Pinball Wizard
Behind Blue Eyes
Wont Get Fooled Again
Long Live Rock
Tommy-The Who

Voodoo Chile
Voodoo Child(Slight Return)
Fire
Gypsy Eye
Castles Made of Sand
Hey Joe
Third Stone from the Sun
Wind Cries Mary-Jimi Hendrix

Aqualung
Cross Eyed Mary
Locomotive Breath-Jethro Tull

Jane Says-Janes Addiction

Battle of New Orleans
Whisperin' Pines
North to Alaska
Springtime in Alaska
Sink tha' Bismark-Johny Horton

Midnight In Montgomery-Alan Jackson

The Ride-David Allen Coe

Please Come to Boston-Dave Loggins

One Tin Soldier-Coven

Comin'Into Los Angeles
Darkest Hour
The Motorcycle(pickle) Song(never did get to hear all of it.Did anyone?)
Alices Restaurant(a Thanksgiving tradition in D.C.)
City of New Orleans
Coopers Lament
This Land is Your Land(this song by his dad was one of the most controversial in history)
Last Train-Arlo Guthrie

Driver's Seat-Sniff 'N' The Tears(awesome drums on this one)

Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia-Vickie Lawrence(yeah!That Vickie)

Spanish Pipedream
Hello in There
Donald and Lydia
Paradise
Sam Stone
Dear Abby-John Prine

Lily of the West-Dylan

Run Through the Jungle
Born On the Bayou
SuzieQ Part Two
Bad Moon Risin'
Fortunate Son
Lookin' Out My Back Door-CCR

Summer Breeze-Seals and Croft

You're So Vain-Carley Simon(How can you not love a gal who writes a song about you?)

Superfly-Curtis Mayfield

Troglodyte-Jimmy Castor Bunch

White Knuckle Ride-Duke Jupiter(I gotta shiney new wooden nickle for anyone who remembers that one)

Southern Cross
Winchester Cathederal
Wooden Ships
Guenevier
Suite Judy Blue Eyes-CSNY

Convoy(both versions)
Wolf Creek Pass
Four Wheel Drive
Night Rider
Long Lonesome Road
Round tha'World With tha' Rubber Duck-C.W.McCall

Family Tradition
Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
Women I've Never Had
Kaw-Liga
Dixie On My Mind
A Country Boy Can Survive!!!!!!
The American Dream
Country State of Mind
Mind Your Own Business
Born To Boogie-Hank Jr.

Good Hearted Woman
Only Daddy That'll Walk tha Line
Lonesome,Ornery and Mean
Ramblin Man
Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way
Luckenbach,Texas
I Ain't Livin' Long Like This-Waylon Jennings

Bringin' On tha Heartbreak
Too Late for Love
Billy's Gotta Gun(another ultimate drum track)
Rock of Ages
Foolin'-Def Leppard

Uneasy Rider
Legend of Wooly Swamp
Drinkin'My Baby Goodbye
In America
Long Haired Country Boy
Let It Roll
Stroker Ace
Uneasy Rider `88-Charlie Daniels Band

Talk To Me
Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Sometimes It's A Bitch
Room On Fire
Needles and Pins
Leather and Lace
Landslide
Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?(yeah!Carley Simon did!)
Gold Dust Woman
Edge of Seventeen(I like to think she wrote this one about me,but probably not,huh?)
Bella Donna-Stevie Nicks

Rock ~N~Roll All Night
God of Thunder
I Love It Loud
Thrills In the Night
Black Diamond-KISS

Too Late for Love
Die Hard the Hunter
Billy's Got a Gun
Foolin'
Rock of Ages
Bringin' On the Heartbreak-Def Leppard(Rick Allen is probably my second or third fave drummer of all time behind Lars Ulrich in first and maybe Nicko McBrain in second.Now speaking of Nicko:)

Run To tha Hills
Be Quick or Be Dead
Flight of Icarus
Sun and Steel
Aces High
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper-Iron Maiden

Who Do You Love?
Night Time
Gear Jammer
I Drink alone
Willie and the Hand Jive
Memphis
Born To Be Bad
You Talk Too Much
Johnny B.Goode-George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers

Well y'all that is all that i'm gonna include here.This list is by no means anywhere near complete.Not in terms of artists or songs.Believe it or not most of this came from memory.I actually used this as an exercise to jog it a bit.Some did come from both net searches or going back through my album(remember those?),cassette,CD or singles stash.I reckon that if I have to answer the question with a gun to my head I'd have to say that the very first song at the top of the list would do.Green Grass and High Tides by The Outlaws.Best damb Rock~N~Roll band in the world.Period!They weren't called The Guitar Army for nothin'.
Now if the question had been;What's your favorite rocket song of all time then I would have to pick either Into The Void or Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath.Elton who?

Dragon,

great list! The Outlaws! great! Love to Jam really loud with Green Grass and High Tides for all 9 minutes. And Waterhole. Once saw a show at Giants Stadium with Todd Rundgren, Outlaws and Boston. And then Outlaws played "spring weekend" at my college with Marshall Tucker (1984?). Molly Hatchett... and Vicki Lawrence...these are classics Hmm I find myself singing "The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy Don't Be A Hero"! Black Sab. howzabout Pat Travers? Another Great Great List! Have a great weekend.
Anybody heard the Johnny Cash/Rick Rubin American Masters series? Pretty interesting.

Saxophone...don't make me get a moderator! LOL!

great weekend all

Andy

Nobody mentioned STYX!!! Miss America, Queen of Spades,
Crystal Ball, A Day, not to mention the classics Come Sail away, Lady, Renegade. And man are they AWESOME live.

Dragonshiprider, I haven't heard Train, Train by Blackfoot in forever. The only Blackfoot album(yes the vinyl thingy for you youngsters) I ever had.

Rush. Animate, Red Barchetta, Bravado, Driven. Their Test For Echo tour was just absolutely fantastic. Neil Peart has to be the best drummer. Period.

Collective Soul. Anything.

How about 'Still Got the Blues for You' by Gary Moore

Twilight Zone by Golden Earring

Audioslave. Anything

Whole Lotta Rosie, Who Made Who, Screamer. Ac/Dc

I'm sure I'll think of something else later. Man, this is a very unfair pole.

Originally posted by dragonshiprider
Driver's Seat-Sniff 'N' The Tears(awesome drums on this one)

Great song! Takes me back to my freshman year of high school every time I hear it; it was one of the first MP3s I ripped (from some anthology CD I have).

Now I'm gonna have to fire up the MP3 player and crank that song up nice and loud.

Originally posted by Andy Turits
Dragon,

great list! The Outlaws! great! Love to Jam really loud with Green Grass and High Tides for all 9 minutes. And Waterhole. Once saw a show at Giants Stadium with Todd Rundgren, Outlaws and Boston. And then Outlaws played "spring weekend" at my college with Marshall Tucker (1984?). Molly Hatchett... and Vicki Lawrence...these are classics Hmm I find myself singing "The Night Chicago Died" and "Billy Don't Be A Hero"! Black Sab. howzabout Pat Travers? Another Great Great List! Have a great weekend.
Anybody heard the Johnny Cash/Rick Rubin American Masters series? Pretty interesting.

Saxophone...don't make me get a moderator! LOL!

great weekend all

Andy

Unfortunatly I never actually got to see the Outlaws in concert.Had a chance to go with a friend of mine once but he only had two tickets.His girlfriend threw a temper tantrum because she wanted to go instead so I told him to forget it.Sad part is that she didn't even know who they where.Oh well! He moved on to a better gal and time has not been kind to her! Back atcha!Sadly there will never be a reunion as several of their members are now dead including Billy Jones and Frank O'Keefe.
Now as for Molly Hatchet they are still alive and well sans Danny Joe Brown.The last time I saw them Danny was taken to Martinsburg hospital after the show.As you may know he didn't exactly take very good care of himself.We almost lost him in `96 due to a stroke.He's doing much better now.He's taking care of his diabetis.
Anyhow I have seen them 8 times so far.Every time at a place that used to be called Shiley Acres in Inwood,WV.Every second Sunday of the month all summer long THAT was THE place to be.Speaking of it I saw Pat Travers as well as BOC and Joan Jett there also.Plus there is one more group that I had in mind and darned if I didn't forget.A local Maryland band.How could I forget the very very cool kids of KIXX!!!! Absolutely the best party bands and one of the best live bands ever.I had the pleasure of seeing them at least 7 or 8 times.At there last concert there they drew about 30,000 plus people.Not bad for a local band.Then they went to Hollywood and let some moron talk them into making a video for a song that was good but not exactly what they should have bet the farm on.

Also I have to mention that Johnny Cash was another on my list but I just forgot.The friend of mine that I mentioned above is related to his wife June.Tom T.Hall was also his uncle.
I saw Johnny and the whole Carter clan at the WV state fair several years ago.Pretty cool!

The Night Chicago Died.Funny you mentioned that because it too is in my stack of singles.That's another one I forgot.I imagine that list would have been twice as long had i stuck them all in there.Boston too!

concerts!
Pat Travers , I saw him open for cheap trick , great concert
I saw him again in a smaller venue with The Tubes
the last concert I went to was, Dio/Scorpions/Deep Purple...we lucked into 7th row great show!
Metallica I saw way back,infact they were the opening act
mainly playing the Kill em' all stuff, they opened for honeymoon suite and Y&T was the headliner. I remember It was extreemly loud.

one of the more memorable was 1983 The Police with The English Beat for opening act! also very loud,, evertime Sting hit a low note the place shook!

Scorpions. First consert I ever went to. They were great. Favorite song: Holiday, The Zoo, Still Lovin' You.
Foreigner, another great live band. Saw them with Peter Frampton and REO Speedwagon. Sorry, a little off the topic.

Blue Oyster Cult

I've seen them 13 times over 32 years. One time from Sault Ste Marie MI to Marquette MI (170) and back, in a snow storm, 4 hours each way. I'll see them every chance I get.

Allow me to add two more:

The Electric Slide
I've Got Friends in Low Places

Back