What's your favorite song?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by missileman
Wait a minute I missed one.
Rocket Man -Elton John

Oh yeah...that is a KICK @$$ song!

I like a lot of alternative rock, rock, techno, electronica, etc, etc. I personally can't stand rap music, but if it's not offensive, I'll listen to is for a bit.

My personal favorites are:

Time is Running Out - Muse
Right Now - SR71
The Kids Aren't Alright - The Offspring

My favorites change regularly, but these are the good ones for now.

Jason

I do all my simulation work with Nine Inch Nails playing in the backround; my favorite song of his is "The Day The World Went Away".

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I'll go a bit off beat with this one...

"Achilles Last Stand" by Led Zeppelin.

One of their less-known songs.

• If I am at work ~ Veteran of the Psychic Wars by Blue Oyster Cult
  • If I am howling along in the car ~ Anything by Charlie Daniels or In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry
  • Building at the bench ~ Tubular Bells (live version) or anything by post Traffic Steve Winwood or anything by Shadowfax
  • Launch Site ~ Should I Stay or Should I Go by the Clash
  • Feeling Nostalgic ~ Never Been To Spain by Three Fog Night
  • When I have no reason to apologize ~ Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent

Originally posted by illini868891
"I Love You" by Barney

THAT IS JUST WRONG ON MORE LEVELS THAN I CAN DESCRIBE

otoh I can put up Proud Mary performed by Leonard Nimoy as a counter.

No wait, something even more cloying ~

It's a world of laughter
- A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
- And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
- That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

It's a small, small world

There is just one moon
- And one golden sun
And a smile means
- Friendship to every one
Though the mountains divide
- And the oceans are wide

It's a small, small world

hmm...

the all killer no filler cd was just amazing... the whole thing.

unity by operation ivy is up there

cheer up emo kid by patent pending cause its halarious

then you have jefferson airplane which is great

but i guess i ran by a flock of seaguls cause like, its the greatest song to jam to while playing gta :D

Right now I'd have to say:

In the End-Linkin Park
So Far Away-Staind
Rest in Pieces-Saliva
St. Augustine's Pears-Petra

I tried but I can't pick one song.

today I was listening to old T Rex stuff (strange yet entertaining)
and the Tubes

If I need to bang my head I like Nevermore- Dead heart
the new Dream Theater is pretty good for that too.

but , you can't beat Dread Zeppelin- lol- A mexican elvis
( aka,Tortelvis) singing zeppelin songs to a ragae beat-good stuff, great show too.

According to my MP3 player, I have about 900 favorites (and yes, they are all legal and paid for in case the RIAA is listening). Some of my favorites would be:

Misty Mountain Hop - Led Zeppelin
Sister Christian - Night Ranger
Best of my Love - The Emotions
Jukebox Hero - Foreigner
Dream On - Aerosmith
With a Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker version
No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature - Guess Who
Weapon of Choice - Fatboy Slim
Let it Ride - BTO

and the list goes on and on and on. I just love music!

Okay,

now I can flesh out my list of some of my favorite artists...in no particular order. and at the risk of showing my advanced age...

Who...(I actually saw them with Keith Moon) Townshend is one of your greatest songwriters. They were like standing in front of a powered 747 live.

ditto...Led Zep I actually saw them with the mighty mighty Bonham yep twice. "Physical Graffiti" tour was amazing.

Rush...Missed the last tour but saw VT tour twice and many tours before that. How can you not appreciate the musicianship? And Neil's lyrics when they are not about "dining on honeydew" or something kind of silly are layered in meaning...Their music has gotten me through some tough times.

Todd Rundgren...great multi instrumentalist who puts out such varied material. Can Rock like a beast or croon like a tiki lounger. Meaningful lyrics, check out his latest CD "Liars".

Frank Zappa...great guitarist. orchestral rock and roll. Naughty lyrics skewing many. Never saw him live and now never will.

Beatles... C'mon they're the beatles.

Beach Boys...Pet Sounds. C'mon It's Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys

Elton John...the gus dudgeon era albums the soundtrack to my youth. "Tumbleweed Connection" (no doubt foreseeing the Fliskit) one of my all time favorite winter snowstorm albums. Like a great western movie but your mind provides the visuals. Does anybody ever put out an 80 minute album like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" where almost every song is an individual masterpiece?

Joe Walsh...the best thing that ever happened to the Eagles. Too bad the Eagles mostly make me yawn. His first few solo albums are great as well as the James Gang material.

Bill Nelson/BeBop Deluxe...okay I'm throwin in an obscure british group that broke up in 78 but Bill Nelson smokes on the guitar. Find yourself a greatest hits or the album "Sunburst Finish". great songwriter who still puts out like 3 albums a year!

The Jam...those who know...Green Day did not invent that sound.

XTC...Andy Partridge pure pop song craftsmanship.

Pink Floyd...the best "space" music. also have seen the original thing in concert. Step back one album from "Dark Side of the Moon" and spin "Meddle" in headphones...that's what I'm talkin about.

Black Sabbath...No Nirvana did not invent that sound.

That would be scratchin the surface of my collection and I really mean it. I'll maybe add more if the thread remains active.I also like front porch blues before it morphed into Rock. I am appreciating some of the better produced Rap and the Beastie Boys are usually good for a laugh or two.

Shameless plug time but hey we're here to share right? anyone for "coffee house" open mic?
Some of you may enjoy my song SNOTROCKET at www.musicv2.com/artist/planetandy
Anybody else got a song to share?

out to launch...I hope

Andy

Pretty much anything by Led Zepplin or Boston. The Cars, the Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, Grand Funk Railroad, Lynard Skyndard, The Doors, Tom Petty, Neil Young, The who, the Steve MIller Band, and ZZ top

HAHah way to many to list

Too difficult to list them !

Old Counrty - Hank Sr, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Red Sovine
New Country - Toby Keith, Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson
Old Rock - Bob Segar, Ted Nugent, Alice Coppper
Big Band - Count Basie

I also like old Chicago Blues, Detroit Street corner Doo-whop

Almost anything except gansta-rap and Opera.

I will never judge a type of music unless I have been there live, and I used to go to 200+ concerts a year so I have been to all kinds !

Mine's got to be :

1) 2pac - Running
2) 2pac - High Till I Die
3) Snoop Dogg & 2pac - Still Not A player
4) 2pac - Changes
5) Outkast - Roses

Karl

Dark Star by the Grateful Dead
(particularly versions from '69 - '71)

The duet from the BWV #78 Cantata by J. S. Bach.

I bet you guys don't even know what I'm talking about. :)

Originally posted by illini868891
"I Love You" by Barney

We want to know where you live, illini

I would start to answer this with something Beatles or Stones, but then there are some great ones like "Gimme Two Steps" and "You Don't Call Me Darlin'"

If I went by what actually gets played the most around the house these days, it would be something from Dr. Demento or Wierd Al. Maybe "Achy Breaky Song" or "Party at the Leper Colony"?

Saxophone, if you're going classical specifically Bach I would do Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations or (totally different) Smetena's Moldau. The great thing about all music is there is an endless stream of something that you haven't heard. Many genres coexist in my collection. I could pull out Bach or Aerosmith or Gershwin or Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys or Charlie Patton or Frank Zappa or Rush or Joni Mitchell at any given moment!

Cheers,

Andy
Andy

You mention a number of great pieces, Andy. Of course, picking one single
favorite is nearly impossible. Since the original thread was for "favorite song",
I chose to limit my selection to something that was actually sung. So, I ruled
out pieces like the Goldberg Variations or Smetena's Moldau. My collection
isn't limited to classical either. I could have listed tunes performed by Miles Davis,
Charlie Parker, or Count Basie, but most of those aren't sung.

Originally posted by Andy Turits
Saxophone, if you're going classical specifically Bach I would do Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations or (totally different) Smetena's Moldau. The great thing about all music is there is an endless stream of something that you haven't heard. Many genres coexist in my collection. I could pull out Bach or Aerosmith or Gershwin or Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys or Charlie Patton or Frank Zappa or Rush or Joni Mitchell at any given moment!

Cheers,

Andy
Andy

Originally posted by saxophone
The duet from the BWV #78 Cantata by J. S. Bach.

I bet you guys don't even know what I'm talking about. :)

From the thematic works of Johann Sebastiann Bach

Canta #78 - Jesu, der du meine Seele (colloq: Jesus You Have Taken My Soul)

Second Movement for Soprano & Alto

Bet I have a better recording than you...

Vacuum tubes and vinyl still rule for classical music!

(not to mention a pair of bipolar radiators)

I'm still a bit of a philistine here. I can listen to Solti conduct Chicago on the Ode to Joy on a continuous loop.

So we can all agree that enjoyable music is just that...as well as sound reproduction equipment...don't get me started on Macintosh or Hafler tube amps and the warmth of vinyl please...come to think of it we can bring it all back to rockets. something for every taste and endless variations! okay!

that's all for now

Andy

Not taking that one sitting down....

Besides neither Macintosh or Hafler make it

Conrad-Johnson and Vacuum Tube Logic do. The speakers are Magnepan. MG1Vs (Had a pair of Martin-Logans, did not like them as much)

Ok if I must listen to Rock (twist my arm, I dare you) - Fire up the Silicon (all Adcom) and the Klipsch (except over the bench which are Niles). Bring on the bitstream...

Ah the remnants of a misspent youth, searching for a hobby before I discovered the joy of APCP.

The audiophiles (s-n-o-b-s) return control to the rocket jocks.

You got another thing comin' - Judas Priest
Let it ride - BTO

Al, Ya got me there, ya Klipsched me. And IMHO for convenience it is those shiny discs. Back to launch control.

Andy

Andy,
Just had to share my joy at seeing another fan of BeBop Deluxe! Yeah! Thumbs up for your list, especially the Jam; saw them way back when. I think they may have toured the US only once. Saw Paul Weller solo too and he played "Man in the Corner Shop" - awesome.
Saw Zep in '77, Yes in '78, Floyd in '80 (The Wall). Saw about all the "giants" back then.
My three favorite artists now are Paul Westerberg (was a big Replacements fan in the 80s), Richard Thompson, and Marshall Crenshaw. Love that power pop!
Drew Tomko

Anything by Marillion with Fish as the lead singer. I did like Steve Hogarth's Season's End but they lost me after that one.

Clutching at Straws is by far the best IMHO. The song Script for a Jester's Tear is really great.

So here I am once more in the playground of the broken hearts
One more experience, one more entry in a diary, self-penned
Yet another emotional suicide overdosed on sentiment and pride
Too late to say I love you, too late to re-stage the play
Abandoning the relics in my playground of yesterday

Originally posted by saxophone
You mention a number of great pieces, Andy. Of course, picking one single
favorite is nearly impossible. Since the original thread was for "favorite song",
I chose to limit my selection to something that was actually sung.

If that's the case, I'll go with Verdi's Requiem. If I have to pick something more specific, I'd go with the Lacrymosa in Mozart's Requiem.

Speakers?,no cans?

I'll go w/my Grado SR325's and the Grado reference amp. A little uncomfortable, but the music and seperation is unbelievable

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket

Bet I have a better recording than you...

I bet you do too... because I've misplaced my recording. Argh! :mad:

Back