WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ESTES MINI-BRUTE?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWP

Reaction score
In my kid days in the hobby back in the early 70s, I had a few mini-brutes in the fleet that got a lot of flying time due to their low cost to buy and fly. I don't see or hear much about them, but they were a big contributor to my early hobby experience. The second rocket I ever built was the Screamer. My favorite mini-brute was my Wolverine, and the mini-Bertha rounded out the mini fleet.

Who else flew mini-brutes? What's your favorite?

I think the only mini brute I had was the mosquito and I promptly lost it on first launch. I cloned another several years ago and still have it. I'd like to clone a mini bertha.

A couple more
Wolverine clone mini brute, Semroc Midget retro repro of the Estes Astron Midget mini brute
EDIT: After double checking the Wolverine doesn't appear to have been a mini brute.
RE-EDIT: Checked the '73 catalog, Wolverine was a mini brute after all.
0331201154[1].jpg
Hey, are people throwing in names that are not mini brutes?
Since when is a Goonie a Mini Brute?

Last edited:
Screamer for the win, I did a 5.5x upscale in the early 90s, I have the one I built in the 70s.

I would like to clone a Screamer or Wolverine myself. Here’s my Level 1 Loc IV in an Estes mini-brute Rouge paint scheme. upload_2020-3-31_19-9-56.jpeg

Since the original Goonies were all Mini Brutes, powered by 13mm motors.
Being powered by mini engines does not make a kit a mini brute.
Here are the mini brute kits from the 1972 Estes catalog:
Mosquito, Screamer, Birdie, Hornet, Mini Bertha, Midget, Beta, Star Blazer and Mini Bomarc.
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Catalogs/Estes_1972_Catalog.pdf

EDIT: Added to the lineup in '73:
Rogue, Aero-Hi, Little John, Wolverine, Javelin & Super Flea combo.

Last edited:
Where did you get your decals Troy?
Made them. I've been cloning for years so I 've been making my own waterslide decals for years. I use clear and white decal paper from Micro Mark, printed on a HP Desk Jet and sealed with Krylon Crystal Clear. I have files for a lot of what Estes made over the years. If anyone wants to make their own I'm happy to post them here.

Made them. I've been cloning for years so I 've been making my own waterslide decals for years. I use clear and white decal paper from Micro Mark, printed on a HP Desk Jet and sealed with Krylon Crystal Clear. I have files for a lot of what Estes made over the years. If anyone wants to make their own I'm happy to post them here.
Assume you mean downloaded the original scans and cleaned them up with a graphics program?
DWonders, original scans can be downloaded here:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est0802.htm
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est0803.htm

A couple more
Wolverine clone mini brute, Semroc Midget retro repro of the Estes Astron Midget mini brute
EDIT: After double checking the Wolverine doesn't appear to have been a mini brute.
View attachment 410970
Hey, are people throwing in names that are not mini brutes?
Since when is a Goonie a Mini Brute?
Actually this is nit-picky, but the Semroc Midget is not a mini-brute, it is the BT50 version of the midget, which was the K-40, and used the Short engines, The Mini-Brute Midget was the TK-40, a Bt20 smaller diameter version of the original.

Actually this is nit-picky, but the Semroc Midget is not a mini-brute, it is the BT50 version of the midget, which was the K-40, and used the Short engines, The Mini-Brute Midget was the TK-40, a Bt20 smaller diameter version of the original.
Thanks for clarifying that. All of a sudden I feel the urge to clone the TK-40 and TK-45 Beta.:D

Assume you mean downloaded the original scans and cleaned them up with a graphics program?
DWonders, original scans can be downloaded here:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est0802.htm
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est0803.htm
That's what I do when I can, and often I can (gotta love Jim-Z), but often enough the source material is so pixilated or the edge quality is bad or the color is inconsistent, I have to do a little more than just "clean up". There have been some times I've literally redrawn 80%+. I try to do the redrawn element right next to the original element to ensure faithful reproduction. Fonts are often the most challenging. I have a large library to pull from. Sometimes I can find a direct copy, others I just have to go with "close enough".

Hey Mike, I double checked the dimensions and both the mini brute Midget #TK-40 and the Semroc Midget had bt-20 booster tubes and bt-50 sustainer bodies. Difference is that the mini brute used 18mm "Shorty" (T) mini engines while the Semroc version has an engine casing adapter to use the current 13mm engines. And it's a hair longer at 9.2" vs. 8.6".
So it's a retro repro of a mini brute.
Nevertheless your input is very much appreciated.

Aero-Hi The first one that I built in 74, then Beta, and of course, the EAC Viper. The only one that I lost was the Beta. The Beta is a clone, the others have the clones and the originals. I liked the Mini-Brutes because I could get 4 mini engines for the price of 3.

Aerohi family small.jpgBeta Family.jpg Viper Family.jpg

TK-40F.gif
Hey Mike, I double checked the dimensions and both the mini brute Midget #TK-40 and the Semroc Midget had bt-20 booster tubes and bt-50 sustainer bodies. Difference is that the mini brute used 18mm "Shorty" (T) mini engines while the Semroc version has an engine casing adapter to use the current 13mm engines. And it's a hair longer at 9.2" vs. 8.6".
So it's a retro repro of a mini brute.
Nevertheless your input is very much appreciated.
I actually have an original K40 and TK-40, My brother bought the K-40 and I liked it so later that year I mail-ordered a midget and got the Tk-40, the TK-40, or later model number 840, has a BT20 Sustaner and BT5 motor mount and Booster. I was upset as I only had short motors, and not 13mm motors to fly it on.IMG_20200331_221523519.jpg

K-40 Original Midget

Nose Cone (Exposed section when fully seated in rocket) 1.375"
length
Booster BT-20M 2.25" Length
Engine BT-20AE 1.50" length
Upper BT-50S 4.00" length

Tk-40 Mini-Brute Midget

Nose Cone (Exposed section when fully seated in rodket) 0.75" length
Booster BT-5BJ 2.00" length
Engine BT-5T 1.50" length
Upper Bt-20DJ 4.00" length

But it is all fun, and good information.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Goose and Mike. Looks good.
Does anyone know of a repro or upscale Wolverine or Aero-Hi kit?

I always liked the Javelin. I used to fly them on Mini-B's . . . GONE !

73est10.jpg

73est12.jpg

73est14.jpg

Of course, the Goonybirds were "technically" Mini-Brutes, too . . .

73est16.jpg

I like the Mini Bertha. So I made a weird goonified version from a Baby Bertha.20200216_130105.jpg

In my youth I've had a Mosquito, Screamer, Rouge, Super Beta, Mini-Bomarc, and Javelin/Super Flea combo.
I always liked flying the Super Beta, but I ran out of A3-6T upper stage motors.
A long time ago BMS did a run of Min-Bomarc kits and I grabbed a couple for some future build.
The time might be right to look through my kit boxes and find them.

Back