What's your favorite current LPR manufacturer (other than Estes)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite current LPR manufacturer (other than Estes)?

• Aerospace Speciality Products

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Custom Rocket Company

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • FlisKits

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • NewWay

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Odd'l Rockets

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Quest

• Semroc

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • US Rockets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Apogee

• Total voters

BRS Hobbies

Reaction score
It's a tough one since I like a few of them but will go with Custom Rocket Company. Custom has a wide variety of low power rocket kits that come with nice decals. I also like Quest, Semroc and US Rockets

Last edited:
I just built a Black Brant from a Rocketarium kit and it was pretty good. So far it's the only kit I've built that wasn't Estes.

-Bob

It's a toss-up between the "old" Fliskits and New Way. The "new" Fliskits is still not up to speed after several months. Many unique models as well as the MMX line are still not available.
New Way kits include many extras: Emery board, sandpaper, heat shrink tubing. Stuff that's not included in other kits. A nice touch.
Also liked the "old" Dr. Zooch. The new Zooch only has a couple of models available yet.
Did I mention that I like the unique and unusual designs?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Apogee Components. Proven designs, too notch engineering and kit production, great instructions.

I would have chosen Apogee, but Quest is the only one listed producing motors.

I like the LOC Precision Park Flyer series and I also like some of the Rocketarium scale rockets. Both really nice builds.

LOC's park flyers are built with heavier tubing and ply fins, so they take more abuse and can be dropped much more quickly on a smaller field.

Sorry, the poll only allows for 10 poll answers. I was able to add Apogee to the poll but it's now at the limit.

I voted semroc. However, I love Art Applewhite`s oddrocs. Red River Rocketry was a favorite, but isn`t producing currently.

Quest shouldn't even be on the list - when was the last new kit introduced? The Q-Jets are no longer Quest branded, strictly Aerotech. USR is really more MPR/HPR. +1 for SquirrelWorks.

I got two votes!
(Can I vote for myself?)
Why not? :)

I didn't vote because I'm grateful to *all* the companies that offer interesting, well thought-out LPR kits. My criteria might eliminate just a few on the list (I won't name them) but include all the rest, including, importantly Rocketarium and Squirrel Works which IMHO deserve to be in this list of options more than couple that are there now. I only wish I had enough build bandwidth to be able to support all of them.

Selling LPR kits seems like a really brutal, low-profit endeavor. Much more dependent on volume to actually make any money, and volume has to be hard to come by without any retail presence. My hat is off to you all, thanks for keeping the hobby alive and interesting.

My hat is off to you all, thanks for keeping the hobby alive and interesting.

Well said. I'm also glad for all the rocketry component vendors, I think that the same applies (low-profit, brutal, etc....). But I'm glad to have quality options available for parachutes, recovery harnesses, vinyl stickers, nosecones, body tubes, etc!

The voting has been pretty much gone as I thought it would except I was thinking that Quest would be getting more votes since they are most likely the second largest LPR manufacturer.

The voting has been pretty much gone as I thought it would except I was thinking that Quest would be getting more votes since they are most likely the second largest LPR manufacturer.
I would actually think it's Semroc (just guessing).

Also, Quest makes a lot of kits but really, very few of them are particularly interesting or compelling.

Back