What's your build area, shop, room look like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobie1dog

Sea Killer rocket
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I searched but could not find a thread where you could show what your build area looks like. Is it in a basement, garage, bedroom? How much room do you have allocated? OverTheTop posted up pics of his fantastic shop in another thread, but other pics of build stations were far and few between. I am getting ready to move once again:( and have been looking at houses daily, so I am scoping out each home to see where I can have a possible build area

So please post up pics and give a brief explanation on what works for you.

I purchased my house about a year and a half ago. I'm single, but wanted 3 bedrooms so that I could convert one into a workshop and still have one as a guest bedroom if needed. I had to impose some serious self control to NOT use the bigger of the two rooms for my shop. At the time I was more heavily into R/C airplanes and it was designed with that in mind.

First order of business was to remove the carpeting and the ceiling fan/light fixture. I debated on putting down a light colored wood floor, but instead decided just to paint the subfloor white. I then added daylight temperature T8 light fixtures in a square'ish pattern around the room. The work bench is a large "L" attached to the walls with 1/16" steel sheet on top for using magnetic build fixtures. The dormer window space became a small workspace for plastic modeling. Walls, ceiling, and floor are all painted white to reflect all available light, and the light fixtures over the bench are positioned to eliminate shadows when working on airplane fuselage's.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481560086.020645.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481560005.039568.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481560032.905550.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481560066.094773.jpg

The only problem I really have, besides eventually running out of space, is keeping it cool. The dormer window faces south and there's one window facing west. I have a solar film on both of them, but it's still the warmest room in the entire house. I think I'll have to just suck it up and install a window unit next spring.

Last edited:
My workshop is in the basement. Since my house was built into a hillside, it turns out that the floor and 2 walls of my workshop are actually parts of the foundation.

The largest room is 16 ft. by 12 ft. The adjacent paint room is 12 ft. wide and 6 ft. deep. The ceilings are 10ft. allowing me to take advantage of height for storage.

I do MMX though L1 builds, therefore, my shop is proportioned accordingly. I also prefer to do multiple projects at once. Therefore, I have set things up so that projects can be swapped to and from the workbench

When I laid out the shop, I paid particular attention to how I was going to store the completed projects.

Starting with the side with the workbench, I'll go clockwise around the room:

14611137811_7a1997fc71_o.jpg
[/URL]

This is along one of the short walls. Below is another view of the bench:

31564229086_ffdc182374_c.jpg
[/URL]

ALL of my tools and adhesives for building are within arms reach of this table top.

I prefer to have other tables nearby where I can put in-progress assemblies out of the way. Going clockwise around the room, just behind the workbench is an area where I set aside things to dry, and also a surface where I can use fillercoat:

14427763449_d3be92243a.jpg
[/URL]

Just in front of this table is an old easy chair I bought from a surplus store, covered with a moving blanket. In the picture above, you can just barely see the top of the chair. Here is where I sit to do time-consuming sanding jobs, such as filler coat and also wet sanding while watching TV all at the same time.

I have 4 customizable PAX wardrobe systems from IKEA throughout the shop. One is in the paint room for storing...paint. Continuing clockwise around the room, here you see the one in the main room where I store the larger models, closed up, away from dust.
14611134281_48b1ddea4b.jpg
[/URL]
14591334236_df9989ecd8.jpg
[/URL]

Now a view of the wall opposite of the workbench wall:

14612277904_cfc1ffb1b9.jpg
[/URL]

In the center of this wall is the entrance to the paint room. This pic was taken before I had my paint booth installed. To the left of that door is the cabinet for storing large models. On the right is where I have all my papers, books, magazines and files. Above the door to the paint room is where I store the LPR models -- 7 ft. up. MMX and 13mm models are stored on spool racks.

If you look at the tops of the wardrobe cabinets, you see plastic tubs. These currently contain the ~200 completed rockets that are in need of repairs and/or face lifts. As these tubs get emptied, more space will free up for storing smaller rockets on top. I purposely put my media and rocket storage areas high up and on the opposite side of the room from the workbench to minimize the amount of dust and debris falling on them.

Continuing on the clockwise tour, there are 2 cabinets side-by-side. I don't have a pic of the interior of the first one. I contains motor storage, field boxes, cameras, binoculars, etc. - the stuff you need out on the field. The next cabinet is chock full of parts:

14634319413_341c876827_o.jpg
[/URL]

Now we return where we started. This little table is where I stage new projects. My process is to use plastic boxes, each outfitted with an erasable label. When I start a project, I label and load a box with all the parts. This keeps everything together in once place and allows me to easily shift projects to and from the workbench.

14634319943_e3eddb6fee_o.jpg
[/URL]

I hope this gives you food for thought!

Last edited:
A mess...:eyeroll:

Seriously though, the second bedroom in my apartment with a small workbench and a folding bicycle wall mount for holding tubes. Rockets hanging from ceiling hooks via para-cord. Multiple containers for sandpaper, build materials, parts, etc. It also serves as my reloading bench so it is always in a state of change.

Climate controlled (ductless heat pump) garage I finished renovating last spring:

4_right

Rocket and composite storage at ceiling:

4x8 workbench on double locking casters (the only concession my wife demanded was that the bench be movable if hail is in the forecast).

7_bench1

Since the above picks I've added a shelf for LPR and MPR "fancy" rockets, and a retractible extension cord over the bench.

We also run our chip tming business out of here, and last night as I cleaned up the bench to be used as gift wrapping central for the next 2 weeks my wife commented how useful the garage renovation has turned out...happy wife = happy life.

You know that picture of the meth lab that exploded and took out several nearby houses? Now imagine that in a basement, and without the meth.

I'm a single guy who lives alone in a 2 bedroom apartment, so my builds tend to expand to fit available space. So, here is...

My living room:
IMG_1472.jpg

My dining room:
IMG_1469.jpg

My garage:
IMG_1473.jpg

My driveway:
IMG_1477.jpg

My back patio:
IMG_1309.jpg

I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat!:lol:

awesome thread!!
as for me, I don't have pictures and it would be rather embarrassing to show my 16 by 24 shop-in-a-garage as ive been kicking on Christmas presents(noooo, im not building rockets for relitives :).all woodworking) and I have stuff everywhere.
but this year im moving some into the basement- about a 10' by 14' room that has the well pump, a deep freezer, and some other storage. the shop isn't insulated and quite pricey to heat-the ceiling is insulated, but the walls aren't. that's on the list for next spring/summer,so might as well move where theres insulation,heat, and lights. besides, my woodworking tools and supplies take up quite a bit of the space in the garage and not much storage room for rocket building suppies.
I have a 10' bench along one end and some room for shelving for supplies/building materials.
and when necessary to use the bigger power tools ill just run out to the shop.

I'm a single guy who lives alone in a 2 bedroom apartment, so my builds tend to expand to fit available space. So, here is...

My living room:
View attachment 307169

My dining room:
View attachment 307170

My garage:
View attachment 307168

My driveway:
View attachment 307167

My back patio:
View attachment 307166

I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat!:lol:

boy, that reminds me when I was a BAR in the 90's living in a mobile home. my living room was my shop!!! rocket racks on every wall. I was seriously contemplating turning the 2nd bedroom into a spray booth. pasta on the stove while mixin epoxy on the counter...it actually was pretty awesome

View attachment 307177

Not this clean any more. My next project will be building a better rocket storage since wall space is all used up. I'm thinking of 10-10 rail from the ceiling for the bigger HPR. They fall like dominos if I'm not careful

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481584663.519437.jpg

(Best Bill the cat impersonation) "OOk, Aacckkk, ppppfffttttbbbhhtt! Too organized, oook, acckk! Hope it's not contagious, acckk, pttffhoie!"

One closet upstairs and a corner of the garage. Dining room table when the family is being particularly understanding.

It's nearly as messy as the rest of my life.

~25 square centimeters of table space left.

Pretty much the only floor space is a measly trail from the doorway to the table and under the chair.

On the bright side, it is organized...

Well, it depends on your definition of 'organized'.

And also your definition of 'it'.

explanation on what works for you.

What if it doesn't work?

9x9 shed in the backyard. It's insulated and heated, but kind of cramped. I need to replace the roof next year, and have obtained preliminary permission from the wife to add on an additional 5 feet on the end while the roof is off - concrete for the floor was done last year... :)

Here is the lathe. Geared head, 2HP, 1000mm between centers, v-bed, two-axis auto feed, metric and imperial thread cutting, quick-change toolpost, DRO:
Latheresize.JPG

Milling machine, with rotary table and DRO.
Millresize.JPG

Note the storage shelving next to the mill. The whiteboard is on a track so it can be moved to access the other shelves conveniently.

Electrical/electronic workbench. Power supplies, CRO, PC, lighting, soldering iron, clock, E-stop, variac, tools, storage etc:
ElecBenchresize.JPG

Next along we have the heavy mechanical workbench. 6mm steel plate top. Metal storage behind. Parts washer is on pull-out slides:
MechBenchresize.JPG

Rocket workbench. For small rockets and general work anyway:
RocketBenchresize.JPG

I have yet to commission the aircon.
There is an additional storeroom, and an air compressor (reticulated) located on the other side of that wall behind the rocketry bench.

This has only been a tour of about 1/4 of the entire garage. The area on the other side of the lathe wall is for two cars, plus lots of storage for bikes, equipment, rack for ladders, rack for steel/metal, camping gear, electronic parts, power tools, welders etc.

Last edited:
You know that picture of the meth lab that exploded and took out several nearby houses? Now imagine that in a basement, and without the meth.

Before or after the explosion?

We use the shop for building bigger stuff and painting, and a small lab for smaller builds and av bays.

1481626491561.jpg

1481626530121.jpg

"What's your build area, shop, room look like?"

More of a man closet than a cave, but I get the 12' by 20' unfinished side of the basement. The nicer, finished portion of the basement rarely gets used. We wasted all that potential work space on carpet, couches, TV, etc... C'Est la Vie... I also have access to the 2.5 car attached garage, but not this time of year!

20161212_180851_resized_1.jpg 20161212_180911_resized_1.jpg 20161212_180917_resized_1.jpg

Great so far, thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I'm envious of those with nice areas as I'm in an apartment now, though looking daily for a house. It is a total sellers market here, as the last 4 houses we looked at, all had multiple offers the same day they were listed.

Here is my "Rocket Lab"

Carpeting seems comfortable, but is it a liability? Would be like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs if mixing a batch of epoxy or working with itty components...

Back