What's your build area, shop, room look like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine. Basement workshop in our house that was built in 1918. I've been slowly renovating this half of the basement into a useable worshop.

I fly RC planes, have built a few as well. I intend to build a couple more over the next two years. I also airbrush rc car bodies and paint my rockets down here, and my kids have started using the space a bit too, to build models or rockets.

20200724_103838.jpg20200724_132530.jpg20201025_125835.jpg

"What's your build area, shop, room look like?"

More of a man closet than a cave, but I get the 12' by 20' unfinished side of the basement. The nicer, finished portion of the basement rarely gets used. We wasted all that potential work space on carpet, couches, TV, etc... C'Est la Vie... I also have access to the 2.5 car attached garage, but not this time of year!

View attachment 307228 View attachment 307229 View attachment 307230
Love the gun safe!

My shop....

Is the dining room of my apartment. The center piece is the large dining table that is my workbench, 4x 42x72x18 5-tier wire shelving units, one old-school 4-tier stamped metal shelf, my computer desk, Cosmos II encased gaming PC setup and a ton of boxes everywhere...

The shelves are home to the smaller power & hand tools that don't fit in my coat/tool closet, spare computer parts, 3 or 4 PC cases from systems I have mothballed, a whole shelf dedicated to Rust-Oleum rattle cans, LPR rocket kits, rocketry spare parts and a bunch of boxes containing things I do not remember atm...

Last edited:
I purchased my house about a year and a half ago. I'm single, but wanted 3 bedrooms so that I could convert one into a workshop and still have one as a guest bedroom if needed. I had to impose some serious self control to NOT use the bigger of the two rooms for my shop. At the time I was more heavily into R/C airplanes and it was designed with that in mind.

First order of business was to remove the carpeting and the ceiling fan/light fixture. I debated on putting down a light colored wood floor, but instead decided just to paint the subfloor white. I then added daylight temperature T8 light fixtures in a square'ish pattern around the room. The work bench is a large "L" attached to the walls with 1/16" steel sheet on top for using magnetic build fixtures. The dormer window space became a small workspace for plastic modeling. Walls, ceiling, and floor are all painted white to reflect all available light, and the light fixtures over the bench are positioned to eliminate shadows when working on airplane fuselage's.
View attachment 307163
View attachment 307160
View attachment 307161
View attachment 307162

The only problem I really have, besides eventually running out of space, is keeping it cool. The dormer window faces south and there's one window facing west. I have a solar film on both of them, but it's still the warmest room in the entire house. I think I'll have to just suck it up and install a window unit next spring.
Beautiful home nice shop

Here's mine. Basement workshop in our house that was built in 1918. I've been slowly renovating this half of the basement into a useable worshop.

I fly RC planes, have built a few as well. I intend to build a couple more over the next two years. I also airbrush rc car bodies and paint my rockets down here, and my kids have started using the space a bit too, to build models or rockets.

View attachment 443055View attachment 443056View attachment 443057
Those are some big RC planes

Those are some big RC planes

The one on the table is big. The one hanging up is small. The big one is a 106" wingspan Extreme Flight Demonstrator Edge. I have a 1/4-scale Cub that I need to finish up over the winter and then I'm getting a 1/3-scale Tiger Moth. I've been wanting to do a true vintage scale plane for quite awhile.

And, of course, I'll still have to build rockets along the way.😁

Here's a quick vid of it running this spring. I've had this one for a few years.

Last edited:
The one on the table is big. The one hanging up is small. The big one is a 106" wingspan Extreme Flight Demonstrator Edge. I have a 1/4-scale Cub that I need to finish up over the winter and then I'm getting a 1/3-scale Tiger Moth. I've been wanting to do a true vintage scale plane for quite awhile.

And, of course, I'll still have to build rockets along the way.😁

Here's a quick vid of it running this spring. I've had this one for a few years.

Awesome!!

Depending on what I'm working on, I build on a picnic table on the patio, a workbench in the garage, the dining room table, or even my son's little tikes table.

I have a few work benches in the basement. This is where most of the mess is made the most used work bench.

PC190351.JPG

This is setup for soldering, electronics, and random small projects. Many years ago I built a +15/-15/+5V power supply and audio amplifier, so it is also where the music is played.

PC190352.JPG

Usually the bench for airplanes, but is currently holding rockets:

PC190353.JPG

And this was used as the ham radio spot (VHF contesting, HF) when I had antennas up, but they are currently down. So it holds rocket motors and field boxes.

PC190355.JPG

I purchased my house about a year and a half ago. I'm single, but wanted 3 bedrooms so that I could convert one into a workshop and still have one as a guest bedroom if needed. I had to impose some serious self control to NOT use the bigger of the two rooms for my shop. At the time I was more heavily into R/C airplanes and it was designed with that in mind.

First order of business was to remove the carpeting and the ceiling fan/light fixture. I debated on putting down a light colored wood floor, but instead decided just to paint the subfloor white. I then added daylight temperature T8 light fixtures in a square'ish pattern around the room. The work bench is a large "L" attached to the walls with 1/16" steel sheet on top for using magnetic build fixtures. The dormer window space became a small workspace for plastic modeling. Walls, ceiling, and floor are all painted white to reflect all available light, and the light fixtures over the bench are positioned to eliminate shadows when working on airplane fuselage's.
View attachment 307163
View attachment 307160
View attachment 307161
View attachment 307162

The only problem I really have, besides eventually running out of space, is keeping it cool. The dormer window faces south and there's one window facing west. I have a solar film on both of them, but it's still the warmest room in the entire house. I think I'll have to just suck it up and install a window unit next spring.

Tango, Looks very nice. I love the warning sign !!

I seriously need to build a shop, I have ruined the carpet in my bedroom . . . dripping epoxy, CA glue, etc. Have to move operations back into the family room (not the living room), but first I need to organize my rockets, cut up all the cardboard boxes that rocket kits were shipped in (thought the boxes might come in handy), and then take the bags full of empty Dr. Pepper bottles to the recycler.

Before retirement, we tore down the 100+ year old "carriage house" (before it fell down). Rebuilt it with garage for her, shop for me. Each have about 400sf of space used as we like! Today my bench is full of... you know what._FullTable.jpg

Great so far, thanks for sharing the pictures with us. I'm envious of those with nice areas as I'm in an apartment now, though looking daily for a house. It is a total sellers market here, as the last 4 houses we looked at, all had multiple offers the same day they were listed.

Move to California, lots of people leaving, lol. Especially in my area, with the public safety power outages, fire danger, and power outages due to high energy usage. Then there’s the home owner’s insurance cancellations and exorbitant prices for the insurance you CAN find.

After looking at your shops, I'd neve post a photo of mine.
I've got a folding table set up in my kitchen, which is piled with parts and tools and downstairs I have a drill press, band saw and bench sander on a computer desk, also piled with crap. I'm using the shower in my downstairs bathroom to store boxes of rocket parts.
I'd make a shop in my garage, but it's full of drift boats, canoes and bicycles, and I'd have to heat it.

Latest posts

Back