What's with the Estes F15, and E16?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quixote

Reaction score
I periodically peruse the Estes web site, and even though I cannot order direct from them, being in Canada, I do follow what products they have and what John has coming down the pike. But over the past few months I have noticed that the 29mm E16, and F15's are going out of stock and remaining so. Don't want to start any false rumors, but are these motors being discontinued? It would be a shame, and if so I guess we will need to stockpile before they disappear forever. Hope John can divulge the corporate plans. I love the F15 in my cloned Enerjet Egg Crate, works very well for dual eggloft.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2

My local shop doesn't stock them because they say the E16 and F15 require hazmat shipping. Which sucks, because I like flying the F15 motors.

kj

I can't imagine them discontinuing them. They've invested in kits made specifically for them. Right now, they are my favorite Estes motors. I can get them at Hobby Lobby at 40% off without hazmat shipping, but I wished they carried the 4-second delays. Buying them online can be too expensive.

They are close to my favs across the board. They would be if they fit in and or lifted more of my models. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, there is variablity seen here too. With some of the smaller Estes E's some places do 3rd class shipping some require hazmat. I believe all above the E16 are hazmat though no matter what. Kurt

Most likely a supply/demand hiccup. I can't see them ending them anytime soon as it seems the Pro Series II line was revamped to take advantage of them.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that they temporarily retro fit a 24mm Mabel to make 29mm motors and they make one big batch to last at least a year, so they have to make a guess as to how many they can sell, + 20% for spoilage and warranties. If they run out while they still need to make 24mm motors, then we're just outta luck until that next batch gets made.

If I recall correctly, when he was interviewed on The Rocketry Show, John Boren said that the 29mm BP motors were rolling off the production line "every day". He certainly gave the impression (or said it directly) that those motors were now the focus of the PSII line.

So I would be very surprised if this were any more than a random variation. In related news, my local (ish) Hobby Lobby just restocked most of its 29mm motors, and I nabbed a pack today.

The web store inventory level means nothing relative to actual inventory in warehouses or production levels. it is only a web store and they "stock" the web store with only so much merchandise. In other words, the web store inventory is not linked to overall global product inventory levels.

Thanks Fred, That does make sense, I just didn't want to see Estes drop these 29mm Black Powder motors. Even though they are lower thrust, the fact that they can be direct staged and/or clustered gives them significant value over composites( mainly staging). I am currently building a two stage 1.6 scale up of the Centuri Arcon-Hi to use said F15 motors.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2

If I recall correctly, when he was interviewed on The Rocketry Show, John Boren said that the 29mm BP motors were rolling off the production line "every day". He certainly gave the impression (or said it directly) that those motors were now the focus of the PSII line.

hmm, they only have seven machines (at least it is still that way from the satellite photos!). From what I heard a few years ago, they were at full capacity, running three shifts, seven days, 1 or 2 @ 13mm, 3 or 4 @ 18mm, 1 or 2 @ 24mm. If they've totally devoted one to the 29mm motors, it must mean they've reduced one of the other sizes, or they aren't selling as many overall at the moment. Unless they figured out a way to quickly retool the machine.

Well, he might have been speaking figuratively... but it sure didn't sound like they were making one batch per year or anything like that.

To be clear, webcs was unable to replace my failed F15s or E16s. She said she had no stock. Period. Period. End of story. No 'guess' work. No excuses. Nothing. She said she had no inventory to replace them... So if they are 'rolling off the line', they are not in customer service's ability to see them.

PERIOD.

Last edited:
I have been told that even if/when all the PSII kits are discontinued the E16 and F15 motors will continued to be made.

Now, I have no information about how 'often' these motors will be made. :wink:

To be clear, webcs was unable to replace my failed F15s or E16s. She said she had no stock. Period. Period. End of story. No 'guess' work. No excuses. Nothing. She said she had no inventory to replace them... So if they are 'rolling off the line', they are not in customer service's ability to see them.

PERIOD.

Is it possible that Customer Service has their own inventory and they were out?

Is it also possible that Customer Service is not given any motors with over 30 grams of propellent because of prohibitive shipping fees?

Is it possible that they are shipping all motors produced to retailers (like Hobby Lobby)? Of course, HL does not buy the -4 motors.

Well - we shall see about Customer Service. I had my first (and hopefully last) 29mm CATO today - an E16-6 - which shredded my Star Orbiter. It looks like the DinoChutes protector did its job with respect to my Chute Release.

The bottom 1/3 or so of the rocket never got off the rod..... :(

CS sent me new 29's when I had a mishap with my all-stock Majestic at Airfest. I would imagine they're not a high-volume product, so occasional supply difficulties could make sense.

I figured someone would want the date code. 04 15 13. I also have flown at least one from that same date just fine as I have a spent casing from another E16-6 with the same date on it in my box of spent motors I use for build/paint aids.

Fred is quite right. I was not given a 'reason'.

I will quote:

"I’m completely out of the E16 and the F engines…"

End quote.

It could be for ANY reason. I did not say a reason other than she can not get them.
I am simply informing TRF of the facts as I got them.
Not "Alternative Facts" as that is an oxymoron used by people that don't know what FACT means.

I am just writing to all you good people what I was TOLD via email. I did not press any further. I accepted something else in return.

I figured someone would want the date code. 04 15 13. I also have flown at least one from that same date just fine as I have a spent casing from another E16-6 with the same date on it in my box of spent motors I use for build/paint aids.
Uh-oh. All of my F15-0 and E16-0 motors have that date as does one of my E16-6s. How long have you had it and was it stored indoors in a steady temperature controlled environment during that time?

Uh-oh. All of my F15-0 and E16-0 motors have that date as does one of my E16-6s. How long have you had it and was it stored indoors in a steady temperature controlled environment during that time?
I don't know when I got that particular package - I tend to buy my 29mm Estes motors from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. Once I have them they live in the house (my workroom is a repurposed bedroom) except when going to launches with me.

If you've only one E16-6 with that date code then you've already flown one. I was going to try another in my Majestic but today's launch is rained out.

Apparently Estes (or at least customer service) is out of E16-6s - Christine is sending E16-8s.

Last edited:
Back