whats the wierdest rocket material you have used

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketdad0934

Reaction score
I was wondering what have you used to build a rocket that isn't normaly considered *rocket material* as I had built a spool rocket out of plastic buick hub caps and flew it at work in the parking lot for a demonstration of what wierd rocketry is it didn't survive the impact with the hot top but that was okay as the car had four caps and it only broke one so I rebuilt it and if the glue had dried I would have flown it today at the cmass launch. :D

I've used titanium copper-clad fiberglass in my rockets. They aren't wierd just exotic I guess. One rocket I flew at LDRS XX had an electronics bay that was 75% duct tape. That was kind of wierd.

'The Whole Enchilada' - BT and fins were made from tortillas. Nose cone was a jalapeno pepper. Did use a BT-50 motor tube and kevlar twine. Oh, and a piece of a soda straw for a lug. 'Finishing' was done with taco sauce. Yummmy :)

Originally posted by rstaff3
'The Whole Enchilada' - BT and fins were made from tortillas. Nose cone was a jalapeno pepper. Did use a BT-50 motor tube and kevlar twine. Oh, and a piece of a soda straw for a lug. 'Finishing' was done with taco sauce. Yummmy :)

I declare you the winner already. No need for more entries. :p

I don't know if this will show up well or not. You tell me what this one is made of.:D

Larry

hmm......feminine hygene product canister thingys ?

sounds tasty, aand we only have hot dogs at our launches. what did you use for adhesive??? sour cream?? :D did it fly right??? or did it look like a food fight at taco bell???

I think a lamp shade would qualify as wierd material for a rocket.:D

At the IRW, an annual Scottish event, there is a contest for the best rocket made from a "sweetie" (candy) container. There's usually some fairly odd materials used in that. IIRC there was a made almost entirely from chocolate one year. This year, I used a "tunnocks teacake" (matshmallow topped bisuit covered in chocolate - roughly hemispherical in shape) as a nose cone.

The weirdest I used was in a Junyard Warz contest. I used a plastic bottle top as a bell nozzel!

I also glued the poor rocket together using wood glue. Of course it didn't dry in one hour! We ended up making "tape fibreglass". Now that was fun!

Dick -

Have you ever thought of using a dried jalapeno as a fuel grain for a micro hybrid? It might just work!

In the spring, ROSCO had a "Disco Death Duration" contest. You had to use a CD or DVD in construction. One of the guys took a CD and cut and shaped it into a nosecone. Another guy made a fins from pieces of CD....... Maybe not totally weird, but pretty cool.......

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
In the spring, ROSCO had a "Disco Death Duration" contest. You had to use a CD or DVD in construction. One of the guys took a CD and cut and shaped it into a nosecone. Another guy made a fins from pieces of CD....... Maybe not totally weird, but pretty cool.......

Recordable CD and DVD packs often come with a clear "protector" disk, which is about the most optically pure and clear plastic I have ever seen. It's just begging to be used for clear fin material on scale models. The only drawback is that the shape of the disk doesn't allow a very large fin to be cut from it.

this would be alot better if my "trying to keep things neat" capabilities were higher... and i didn't use post it notes to paint it

Originally posted by rocketdad0934
sounds tasty, aand we only have hot dogs at our launches. what did you use for adhesive??? sour cream?? :D did it fly right??? or did it look like a food fight at taco bell???

The design was only marginally successful...that is it went up better than it came down :rolleyes: One problem with the tortilla is it was rough on the inside so the chute had problems deploying. I then added an inner tube for the chute, but by then the jalapeno had problems :D

Originally posted by vjp
Dick -

Have you ever thought of using a dried jalapeno as a fuel grain for a micro hybrid? It might just work!

Now that's spicy :)

Rabbit's Revenge. Converted from one use of BP to another...

(It had already been used, so I "reloaded" it with a 13mm motor. :D)

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
I declare you the winner already. No need for more entries. :p

No mention of how much tequila must have gone down the hatches during the building stage...

I say "hatches" because surely no one would do this alone without friends and/or witnesses. :)

Pictures?

One of the members of my club (CTRA) always shows up with something remarkable. His best flying was a canoe paddle (flys great, flew at LDRS) the most complex a globe. Thats right good old earth. He has spin motors on the equator that revs it up on the rod then a g-switch that lights the lift motor.

Originally posted by Pippen
No mention of how much tequila must have gone down the hatches during the building stage...

I say "hatches" because surely no one would do this alone without friends and/or witnesses. :)

Pictures?

Pictures and other info are here https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon8/enchilada.html

Growing up on the border cured me of tequila. A few cervezas might have been involved :)

Back