What's the highest voltage you run in your avbay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the highest voltage you run in your avbay?

• Total voters

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
I'm branching out my software business a little and designing some rocketry electronics. To make sure they work for the most people, I'd love to hear what battery voltages people are running in their rockets. I typically fly on 1S or 2S lipos, depending on the specific electronics. I know some people use 9V batteries. Are people running any higher voltages than that?

If your specific voltage isn't listed in the poll list, please just select the next voltage up from what you run. If you're one of the people in the "higher" category, it'd be great if you'd post a reply with what you use.

Thanks!

Usually 1s, occasionally 2s. I'd like the ability to use 2s, as it opens up lots of battery options for size, shape and capacity.

Thanks for the inputs so far, everybody. If you haven't yet, please click the poll answer that matches what you do.

So far, only 1 person has clicked anything higher than 9V. It looks like lots of people use 9Vs though.

Keep 'em coming!

Most Eggtimer altimeters will support a 3S, since there are some non-pyro deployments out there such as trapdoors using 12V solenoids. 3S Lipo's work well for that.

Thanks everybody. Cris, great point about the non-pyro uses.

Anyone powering cubesats out there?

I use 3 types of altimeters....Strato likes 1s missleworks like 2s and 9v.....Telemaga 1 S.

Since I have so many rockets already set up for 9v, I continue to use, otherwise it would be 1S and 2S

Let me just toss in the thought -- I LOVE 9V's because of their internal resistance.
You can't pull more than 4A from one and that's very friendly for electronics that fire near-zero Ohm pyro's (during the plasma ball stage)
Flight computers with PWM outputs do not care, but low-cost units don't bother and you can end up frying the output devices with a LiPo and no current limit.

I use a 5v solid state circuit to hold and distribute the current. Add capacitance if I need more V.

Let me just toss in the thought -- I LOVE 9V's because of their internal resistance.
You can't pull more than 4A from one and that's very friendly for electronics that fire near-zero Ohm pyro's (during the plasma ball stage)
Flight computers with PWM outputs do not care, but low-cost units don't bother and you can end up frying the output devices with a LiPo and no current limit.
Valid point, Fred. I suppose flight computer MOSFET outputs could have limits built into them too. Thanks.

Last edited:
Add capacitance if I need more V

Huh?
A cap will supply more current to help hold up the 5V output during current surges, but in no way will it increase the voltage unless you are talking about a switched-cap charge pump which I highly doubt.

Thanks for all the poll votes & replies, everyone. This really helps. It's great to see that very few people are using anything over about 12V.

Huh?
A cap will supply more current to help hold up the 5V output during current surges, but in no way will it increase the voltage unless you are talking about a switched-cap charge pump which I highly doubt.
Not really talking about that. Caps can be use in circuit to hold then distribute when triggered. Bigger cap, bigger output. Likewise smaller cap.... Circuit distributes the current evenly when needed. No batteries required.

9V Duracell coppertops. Only thing I ever use.
I've been using them also. HOWEVER, they have been redesigned. Instead of 6 AAAA batteries, there are a stack of rectangular cells. New battery short circuit current has gone from 5.5A to 2.5A. Don't expect to fire more than 2 ematches at a time in parallel. J-Teks can be fired in series strings allowing at least 2V per match. When they fire, there is a moment (milliseconds) where the fireball is a short, allowing more current to the slower ones. I'm not sure about the FireWire ones.
Duracell new 9V 1.jpg
I also disassembled an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. It contains 3 1/2 AA lithium cells and will provide 5A, enough for 4 ematches in parallel. All connections are welded. However, price at Wal-Mart is $9 each.
Energizer Li 1.jpg Energizer Li 2.jpg Energizer Li 3.jpg Energizer Li 4.jpg

I've been using them also. HOWEVER, they have been redesigned. Instead of 6 AAAA batteries, there are a stack of rectangular cells. New battery short circuit current has gone from 5.5A to 2.5A. Don't expect to fire more than 2 ematches at a time in parallel. J-Teks can be fired in series strings allowing at least 2V per match. When they fire, there is a moment (milliseconds) where the fireball is a short, allowing more current to the slower ones. I'm not sure about the FireWire ones.
That's great info, thanks.

Back