What's the highest NAR member number right now?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRThro

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wondering what the highest NAR member number is. I've seen members with numbers over 80,000, but what's the last number that has been issued?

If narprez sees this, maybe he could let us know.

Or if you think you have a pretty high number yourself, jump in and tell us what it is.

Thanks!

I thought I'd read awhile back...

Doesn't Vern have #2

???

Originally posted by Steward

I thought I'd read awhile back...

Doesn't Vern have #2

???

No.

G. Harry Stine was #2.

Vern is somewhere up in the 400s as I recall.

Sorry... Thanks for the corrections...

I just now realized that they were in fact looking for the newest or most recent issue...

My bad....

As of September 30th, the highest NAR number was 84164.

Vern Estes is #380.

I get a monthly archive of NAR HQ files (swapped zip disks). I’m missing the October file, November’s is about due now. Reason I get the monthly archives is that I created the NAR HQ database system that went online in 1997 (Mostly a number of custom made Filemaker templates plus a couple of special other applications to help with credit card processing and postal center sorting). I know how to go into it to generate unique or special reports (such as for the NAR board), or special mailing lists that are not among the automated ones Marie Stumpe at HQ has available to choose from. Every once in awhile Mark Bundick asks me to send him a copy of the most recent HQ archive to replace the last one he got.

- George Gassaway #18723

Originally posted by George Gassaway
As of September 30th, the highest NAR number was 84164.

Vern Estes is #380.

I get a monthly archive of NAR HQ files (swapped zip disks). I’m missing the October file, November’s is about due now. Reason I get the monthly archives is that I created the NAR HQ database system that went online in 1997 (Mostly a number of custom made Filemaker templates plus a couple of special other applications to help with credit card processing and postal center sorting). I know how to go into it to generate unique or special reports (such as for the NAR board), or special mailing lists that are not among the automated ones Marie Stumpe at HQ has available to choose from. Every once in awhile Mark Bundick asks me to send him a copy of the most recent HQ archive to replace the last one he got.

- George Gassaway #18723

Thanks, George! And thanks for the background info as well.

Okay flog me, I don't have my card on me . . . but, I joined two months ago and will check my number when I get home.

Here's an off the wall, but still on topic, question:

If someone joins, then stops for a few years, then comes back and rejoins as a BAR, do they get the same number back, or does NAR assign a new number?

WW

I've joined (or re-joined) several times over the years...

I've always kept the same number...

I think on the application they ask if you've previously been a member... or what your old membership number is.

Originally posted by wwattles
If someone joins, then stops for a few years, then comes back and rejoins as a BAR, do they get the same number back, or does NAR assign a new number?

When I rejoined, they said I could have my old number re-activated . . . if I could remember it. Apparently, if you know it they can 'surgically' look it up, but if you don't remember it they will not take the time to dig through 80,000+ records (imagine that--- )

yes, you can get your old number back. I had dropped out for about 10 years and got my 35098 back

jim

Originally posted by powderburner
When I rejoined, they said I could have my old number re-activated . . . if I could remember it. Apparently, if you know it they can 'surgically' look it up, but if you don't remember it they will not take the time to dig through 80,000+ records (imagine that--- )

You mean by now they aren't computerized enough that they can search on your name and pull up your number?

I suspect that a computerized database could indeed be searched, but that service was not offered to me when I re-joined.

wwattles wrote:

>>>>
<<<<

As Steward replied, the NAR application has a blank for writing in your old number. Anyone can get their old number back....if they know it or if it is in the HQ computer.

Of course, sometimes people do not remember their old number (and may not have kept old magazines that had their number on the mailing label). The NAR HQ database system includes a “history file” database where expired memberships are moved to (It’s not a dead archive. Sometimes people renew a bit late, so rather than Marie at HQ needing to re-enter the same data for a renewal, she presses a button to retrieve NAR number such and such from the history file, so she does not have to enter in any old data. And she looks to see that the address info hasn’t changed, if it has then she updates it).

Anyway, for those who do not remember their old number, then Marie at HQ can do a find in the history file by name to look for and retrieve the old record (which of course includes the number).

Of course that only works for those who were members from around 1987-88 to now, from when NAR HQ transitioned from a literal index card file system to a computer system. Sometimes there are those who were members longer ago than that and do not remember their numbers, so they are not even in the computer history file. The ancient index card files still exist...but it’s just not practical to dig through them, so in that case a new number needs to be issued.

- George Gassaway

Just got my new NAR kit in the mail today.

My NAR number is 84353.

Legel Eagle now!!

Back