Whats the highest flying estes kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to other threads he has flown only RTF rockets. I would recommend the Estes Sizzler.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Goblin. Even though it's been OOP for several years, it can easily be cloned or companies such as Thrustline with their Pumpkin Head or Squirrelwork's Gremlin, I apologize if I messed up the name.;)

These are BT-55 sized kits with 24mm MMT's that are capable of reaching 1,500+ feet on a D12 or if that's not enough, leave out the thrust ring and use an E9 and if that's still not enough, build it strong and use an F21-8W Econojet motor.:D

Originally posted by rokitflite
Since I have no idea what your building skills are, I would suggest the Comanche-3. If you have built at least 2 or three models that require the fins to be glued on individually it is not that hard of a build... It just takes a little longer. It is one of our best selling Estes rockets in our 3 stores. It has been purchased by many modelers of various ability levels and no one has reported that it has "crashed"... Flown away out of site yes, crashed no.;)
He had mentioned that he only has "built" a few RTF/E2X kits. Hence my reccomendation against the comanche.

Originally posted by dwmzmm
I think what some meant by "crash" is what I witnessed at NSL -
2004 at Hearne, TX; one young rocketeer launched his very nicely
built Comanche-3 that failed to stage (D12-0 to C6-0) and it
lawndarted. Apparently the pressure of the D12's gases forced
the stages to separate before the C6 could ignite. Similar thing
happened to my Estes Cineroc/Omega in the late 1970's...(yes,
my Cineroc got smashed).
I know a lot of you here already know this, but for those who don't:
This phenomenom is discussed in The Handbook of Model Rocketry, with the recommendation to include some vent holes between the stages to relieve the pressure just enough to prevent this, but not enough to prevent the intentional separation after the upper stage ignites. No specific size for the hole(s) was recommended, though.
-Jim

I have an Estes 2 stage Delta Clipper(#2067)that goes well over 2,000 with just D's.I hope to build another one day and leave the motor block out allowing E9-8's*.This would definately make it Estes' highest flier.......or pretty close,anyhow.As if that alone isn't plenty I also intend to replace the stock trapzoid fins with Sprint style fins.Anyone wanna run Rocksim on that?

*That's D12-0/E9-8

Anyone ever done a sim on the old Estes FarSide? I have owned 3-4 of those over the years and never got more than one launch out of them (always went B14-C6-C6... go figure :D )

I'd bet it can crank up the altitude numbers!

I've had the second stage of my Commanche 3 fail to ignite once as well, and had the booster stick on my Estes Hercules once. Neither was a very pretty result. With the stuck booster, it was unnerving searching the skies and not seeing the booster coming down, but the as the sustainer got closer and closer, realizing I could see through it. The only tube left was the tube at the ends and under the fins. Kind of a cool vented booster now...lol

Seriously - do a few easy skill level one kits. A Fat Boy would be perfect - goes together easily, and stays fairly low so you don't lose it. Once you're more used to tracking rockets in flight, get some higher flying skill level one kits to hone your building skills. Progress up to skill 2 and so on, and get into the staged and clustered kits. If you can find a local CAR club, join it. The information in the minds of the members is invaluable.

If you do ever build a Commance 3, make sure you drill a small vent hole near the top of the first stage to keep it from overpressurizing and dropping off before the second stage lights. I haven't crashed mine since I did that.

Originally posted by jflis
Anyone ever done a sim on the old Estes FarSide? I have owned 3-4 of those over the years and never got more than one launch out of them (always went B14-C6-C6... go figure :D )

I'd bet it can crank up the altitude numbers!

A couple of years ago I had someone from another rocketry based
forum (OldRockets?) run some calculations on the Astron Farside
max altitude using all C6's, and I recall the number was around
2,700 feet. I've lost that e-mail over a year ago when my old
Webtv server system went under...

I noticed on the Farside instructions the second stage fins are
slightly canted to add spin stabilization to the launch vehicle;
when I build mine I'll just make it straight for no spin stabilization.

Originally posted by RimfireJim
I know a lot of you here already know this, but for those who don't:
This phenomenom is discussed in The Handbook of Model Rocketry, with the recommendation to include some vent holes between the stages to relieve the pressure just enough to prevent this, but not enough to prevent the intentional separation after the upper stage ignites. No specific size for the hole(s) was recommended, though.
-Jim

I think Centuri called theirs "passport" staging...even had the
name patented.

The name was not patented. The concept was.

Originally posted by dwmzmm
I think Centuri called theirs "passport" staging...even had the
name patented.

I built a Wizzard upscale using BT-50 and a D12-7 and streamer recovery. I got it back once and the second time it went into a fenched yard which we could not enter (Goverment Property - Possible Hawaii Area 51??) It was a good flight and went thru the clouds on both flights. The first flight took 85 seconds to come back and the last one took 70 seconds (I shortend the streamer). I used 2" wide Crepe Paper 2 x 40" lengths. It was a very tight fit in the tube. The next launch I chopped it to 30"

Since I lost it I am building a E engine version!!!

An easy, staged, high-altitude rocket is the Mongoose. Officially, the projected max altitude for the engines it's designed for is 1650 feet I think, But in reality it can reach 2000 using the normal engines.

In the 13 years before Tandem necro'ed this thread, there have been new products intro'd by Estes. If the only restrictions are "highest flying" and "Estes", I would look at a PS II booster/PS II Prowler combo, with F15/F15 motors. The booster is only supposed to be for the E2X PS II models, but I think the Prowler could be made to fit, it's the same diameter. Haven't run sims though.
P.S. and if you are not restricted to Estes motors, how about an Estes F/Aerotech G combo with electronic air start for the sustainer? Wait, don't they make 29mm H motors?:D
P.P.S. Just remembered, Cesaroni makes 29mm I reloads.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why does Estes change their max altidudes? You figure they'd get it right the first time. In the 2006 catalog The Yankee is the highest single stage at 1850 ft.

Yeah, at least for 18mm single stage, I think it is the Yankee. But it does keep changing. The 1991 catalog lists "...over 2000 feet (610 m)". Who knows where those numbers come from, it would be interesting to check some with simulation software for comparison sake.

I'm gonna go with a Wizard on a D21. I did see mine coming back down, but it was a loooong way away.

I use to let my little Estes Banshee rip on AT D21's for a high, neck snapping flight. Adding in some red chalk line powder, and using reflective mylar streamers was a HUGE help in recovery. I can imagine a Wizard, or Sizzler, on a 18mm D would get up there pretty good.

What ever rocket you choose to try, I suggest playing around with the sims, adding or subtracting weight as necessary, to help obtain the optimal weight for maximum altitude.

I flew an Estes E2x (BT-50) at Red Glare...2 stage, AeroTech D10-1 to C6-7. Direct stage...upper stage disappeared. and that is not a typo on the D10...

Talk about a necro thread...

Technically, the highest flying Estes kit EVER was an Astron Scout... More specifically... THIS Astron Scout:

df3b0278f99122e7f65ce53197dd8699.jpg

It's also the kit that has traveled the most... With with 93 orbits of the earth, and more than 2.5 MILLION miles, under its fins.
news-021115a.jpg

Last edited:
I flew an Estes E2x (BT-50) at Red Glare...2 stage, AeroTech D10-1 to C6-7. Direct stage...upper stage disappeared. and that is not a typo on the D10...

How did you pull that off? Did you drill the delay down to 1, so it would burn through?

I flew an Estes maniac on a G80 to over 5000 feet, recovered 1 mile away

Talk about a necro thread...

Technically, the highest flying Estes kit EVER was an Astron Scout... More specifically... THIS Astron Scout:

df3b0278f99122e7f65ce53197dd8699.jpg

It's also the kit that has traveled the most... With with 93 orbits of the earth, and more than 2.5 MILLION miles, under its fins.
news-021115a.jpg

That is a great looking Scout! (Might be the first time that has ever been said) I might need to build one just to do that scheme...

Back