What's the deal with the AT 29mm RAS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
I've found conflicting info about the 29mm RAS and how many cases you would need to theoretically fly all the 29mm motors. The apogee website says that you would only need the 360ns and 120ns case along with the RAS while I found a TRF post about how the 100 and 60 are strange grain died and you would still need 6 cases and the RAS to fly the full range of motors.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors/AeroTech_Accessories/AeroTech_29mm_Reload_Adapter_System

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?121405-AeroTech-Reload-Adapter-System-questions

Which of these are correct?

I've found conflicting info about the 29mm RAS and how many cases you would need to theoretically fly all the 29mm motors. The apogee website says that you would only need the 360ns and 120ns case along with the RAS while I found a TRF post about how the 100 and 60 are strange grain died and you would still need 6 cases and the RAS to fly the full range of motors.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Motors/AeroTech_Accessories/AeroTech_29mm_Reload_Adapter_System

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?121405-AeroTech-Reload-Adapter-System-questions

Which of these are correct?

The 29 RAS comes with three spacers... Two of the same size and one odd length. You can only use two of the spacers at a time and still fly safely. Therefore you only need two cases (the 360 and the 180) to fly the full range of motors.
I have all the parts, not just speaking from my butt. LoL!

The 29 RAS comes with three spacers... Two of the same size and one odd length. You can only use two of the spacers at a time and still fly safely. Therefore you only need two cases (the 360 and the 180) to fly the full range of motors.
I have all the parts, not just speaking from my butt. LoL!

So with the 360 case and the RAS you would be able to fly the 240 and 180 cases as well correct? So wouldn't you want the 120 case to fly the 100 and 60ns cases with the RAS since the 180 case would adapt to just the 120 and 100 and you would already have the ability to fly the 180 case with the 360 case with 2 spacers?

So with the 360 case and the RAS you would be able to fly the 240 and 180 cases as well correct? So wouldn't you want the 120 case to fly the 100 and 60ns cases with the RAS since the 180 case would adapt to just the 120 and 100 and you would already have the ability to fly the 180 case with the 360 case with 2 spacers?

I'm dizzy. LoL! I'll bet you could use the 360 to fly 180 loads, it just never occurred to me to do so because the 29mm special came with the 360 & 180. So if you're looking to fly the 60N loads, you can do that in the 120 case or the 180 case.
Think of it this way... The RAS system comes with three spacers: 2 60N spacers and a 20N spacer... That's not exactly it, but that's the idea. You can fly the 120,60, and 100 loads in a 180 case with the proper use of spacers.
Call Tim (Wildman) and see if he has any of the 29mm RAS specials. They were $60 on Black Saturday. I don't know what the price would be now.
Hope that all helps, and I'm 90% sure I'm correct on everything.

For what it's worth, the 60,100, and 120 cases are better covered by loads in the 29/40-120 case, and thisenloads are cheaper and more common.

Id get a hobbyline case, 180,360 and RAS. Or hobbyline, 180,240, and 360 and a set of closures

For what it's worth, the 60,100, and 120 cases are better covered by loads in the 29/40-120 case, and thisenloads are cheaper and more common.

Id get a hobbyline case, 180,360 and RAS. Or hobbyline, 180,240, and 360 and a set of closures
Or! Start buying used with an eye toward saving money but then end up with a giant pile of pretty aluminum tubes.

But maybe that's just me.

Or! Start buying used with an eye toward saving money but then end up with a giant pile of pretty aluminum tubes.

But maybe that's just me.

not just you.....
11719995423_65823322e4_c.jpg

I'm dizzy. LoL! I'll bet you could use the 360 to fly 180 loads, it just never occurred to me to do so because the 29mm special came with the 360 & 180. So if you're looking to fly the 60N loads, you can do that in the 120 case or the 180 case.
Think of it this way... The RAS system comes with three spacers: 2 60N spacers and a 20N spacer... That's not exactly it, but that's the idea. You can fly the 120,60, and 100 loads in a 180 case with the proper use of spacers.
Call Tim (Wildman) and see if he has any of the 29mm RAS specials. They were $60 on Black Saturday. I don't know what the price would be now.
Hope that all helps, and I'm 90% sure I'm correct on everything.
It's $160 now, so I'm probably just gonna have to be content flying out of the 29mm 360 case for now once I get it for my level one cert. Now on a completely unrelated note I'm in the market for a used 360 case with closures and the seal disk if anyone wants to relocate them to a good loving home :)

It's $160 now, so I'm probably just gonna have to be content flying out of the 29mm 360 case for now once I get it for my level one cert. Now on a completely unrelated note I'm in the market for a used 360 case with closures and the seal disk if anyone wants to relocate them to a good loving home :)

Yeah... I love the 180 case. Have 3 now. G75J fits and there's 3 H loads also. Use the spacers and you have a good range from F to H.
If I had a spare 360, I'd send it your way. Good luck! And keep in mind, black Saturday is right around the corner of you're patient, you can score new hardware on the cheap.

I'd happily purchase a complete set of special edition 38/54 from Loki. Dark bronze, architectural hard coat.

A feller can dream :)

I've kind of done the same thing. I just have the 180 and 240 cases. Anything smaller I use the Hobbyline, anything bigger, I move up to 38mm. I've kind of don3 the same thing in 38mm, only have up to the 720 case and go with 54mm for anything bigger. Of course I bought most of my cases before the RAS came out.

Last edited:
I've kind of done the same thing. I just have the 180 and 240 cases. Anything smaller I use the Hobbyline, anything bigger, I move up to 38mm. I've kind of don' the same thing in 38mm, only have up to the 720 case and go with 54mm for anything bigger. Of course I bought most of my cases before the RAS came out.

Only reason I'm tempted to pick up a 120 case even though I have a 40 120 is because there are some interesting reloads like the G25W and the G77R that aren't available in the hobby line case.

Only reason I'm tempted to pick up a 120 case even though I have a 40 120 is because there are some interesting reloads like the G25W and the G77R that aren't available in the hobby line case.

There are the endless rumors that the G71R will return... but the G25 is an interesting one.

I've kind of done the same thing. I just have the 180 and 240 cases. Anything smaller I use the Hobbyline, anything bigger, I move up to 38mm. I've kind of don3 the same thing in 38mm, only have up to the 720 case and go with 54mm for anything bigger. Of course I bought most of my cases before the RAS came out.

I had the RAS for 38, and a 360 and 720. Found myself only flying the 360 and 720 loads. Eventually sold all my AT and CTI in 38, now I fly 120 and 1200 in loki mostly.

I initially focused on getting hardware to cover everything possible.... I've found after a few years that I tend to find a motor I like and focus on it.

I initially focused on getting hardware to cover everything possible.... I've found after a few years that I tend to find a motor I like and focus on it.

Ditto. However, I tend to fly whatever motors I can get cheaply and then find a rocket to fly it in. TRF yard sale has been exceedingly good to me the past couple years and now I can fly any motor 18mm to 54mm in AT and CTI. I was lucky in that I bought all CTI+spacers first, then when they dropped capacity for awhile, I caught a bunch of good sales to build up my AT hardware after they had released the RAS system.
Favorite motors, though... I'll always be a sucker for dual thrust, Whites, and reds.
For 29mm, nothing gets more use than my hobbyline cases. I do fly longer 29s fairly often in sport sized rockets that could fit a 38 but only have a 29 mount.

yea, can't beat hobby line cases for bang for the buck. I had six at one point, but cut back to a sane 2 now.

If I was starting again, for AT I'd get a hobby line, 29/240, a 38/720, and a 54/1706 to start. I'd eventually wind up with a 29/360 and and 38/1320, because ZOOM.
If I was starting Loki, I think I'd grab a 38/240, 38/1200, 54/1200 and 54/2800.
CTI, you really can't beat the 3/6 and spacer starter sets.

Back