What's that one thing you always forget?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messedupryan

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan some summer launches. I live in a beautiful wide open state with a lot of potential places to launch. I am also a basket case.

I am trying to put together a launch kit that has everything I need, and possibly some things I don't need. I know that I am going to forget something, and probably a few somethings, but I'd like to try to plan ahead and be as prepared as possible when away from home. Can I draw on the wealth of launch day experience here and ask:

What is that ONE thing you always forget on launch day?

A stick. I always forget a stick.

A 1" x 3ft dowel is indispensable for thumping liners out of casings, *and* for lofting the shelter cover over the central pole.

Let’s see, I’ve forgotten my preflight checklist (twice now) and a knife/exacto blade for trimming igniter leads.

Not forgotten, but always bring - snacks, water, sunscreen, canopy.

It seems most everyone at club launches has a field kit which contains an assortment of tools, glue, tape, dog barf, spare batteries, etc. The great thing about flying at a club launch is that someone will have the thing you’ve forgotten.

So if not doing a club launch, I’d say bring a friend who will also be launching - both pack some kit and reduce the likelihood of both forgetting something.

Let’s see, I’ve forgotten my preflight checklist (twice now) and a knife/exacto blade for trimming igniter leads.
You need to have "bring the checklist" on your checklist.

As an aside, it's amazing how easy it is to miss things even when they're on your checklist. I've stopped using a checklist because I never remember to look at it. Of course, for the LPR stuff I fly, flight prep is way simpler than for HPR, with fewer opportunities for disaster.

Sometimes I buy a bike finder anti thief alarm for my rockets. It makes it a alot easier to find it when it drifts away. I just hit the button and the alarm goes off. Theoretically that is what’s supposed to happen. I wouldn’t know because I always forget to arm the darn thing

Bag of dog barf (I keep a spare bag in BOTH cars now)
Fresh batteries (when I was using an Estes controller)
My field repair kit. ( Glue/epoxy/CA, X-Acto knife and blades, shock cord material, swivels, quick links, baby wipes, etc.)
Motor casings/reload kits and adapters.

One time I forgot the gun case full of motor casings... That ruined my day.

Most of the time it's not that I forget to bring something. It's that I forget to apply sunscreen.

Usually something different. The most notable was motors and parachutes. When I do forget something I write it down in all caps on my check list. Its been a while since I have forgotten anything major, but I always make sure to do a once over on the checklist.

Hey Guy's,

The dumbest thing I've ever forgotten at a launch was to remove the bright red "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag to arm the electronics. The scratch built 7.5" MGM-140 screamed off the pad on a K-550W and had a not so good landing, LOL.

Remove.jpg

Bag of dog barf (I keep a spare bag in BOTH cars now)
Fresh batteries (when I was using an Estes controller)
My field repair kit. ( Glue/epoxy/CA, X-Acto knife and blades, shock cord material, swivels, quick links, baby wipes, etc.)
Motor casings/reload kits and adapters.
I forgot batteries before. Luckily there was a Walmart near by. Spending $15-20 on something as petty as 8C batteries when I only need 6, is going to be on my check list of “what not to do”.

That is all sorts of amazing!

It was a learning curve back in the winter of 2009 at Bong, WI and I think Justin took that picture. I flew a "TOTAL" rebuild with a bigger "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT FLAG" as a reminder for a successful flight in April of 2010, LOL!

IMG_2589.JPG

And that's the one thing you don't want to forget...

Hey Guy's,

The dumbest thing I've ever forgotten at a launch was to remove the bright red "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag to arm the electronics. The scratch built 7.5" MGM-140 screamed off the pad on a K-550W and had a not so good landing, LOL.

View attachment 455419
Might be easier to attach your igniter to your flag during prep... that way you go "oh... big red flag.. i do this before igniter"

Back