What's in your fleet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks! it wasn't like that a week ago I can assure you and it probably won't stay that way for long!

seems like I spend half my time in the shop cleaning and re-arranging. Then the next project comes alng and before I know the place is a disaster again.

It's been raining steady here all week so I got everything together...grabbed the vacuum cleaner, screwdriver, level and my wife to help with the layout.

This isn't everything...I'd say this is about 70%.

Most of the other 30% are on two more shelves in my office.

The ones in my office are built "Roachwerk's kits" along with my Astron Interceptor and Trident (not a Trident II!) signed my Vern Estes.
:D

Wow sandman, even at 70% I pictured you having way more than that. You'd better get busy:D :D :D

Now here are two pictures of my fleet, both built (8 model rockets) and unbuilt (9 kits).

This time they won't be reversed (the first time I posted them I had them flipped)!

Here's Picture 1:

Originally posted by JRThro
Now here are two pictures of my fleet, both built (8 model rockets) and unbuilt (9 kits).

This time they won't be reversed (the first time I posted them I had them flipped)!

And here's picture 2:

Still somewhat new to rocketry...

These are the rockets we've built and flown...

rocket_fleet_done.jpg

Front to back, Bull Pup 12D, Patriot, Blue Ninja (well... once was blue)
At the back, the obligatory Fat Boy and a Gnome.

We are about to start building these ones...

rocket_fleet_new1.jpg

Stormcaster, Executioner, another Fat Boy, but this one's getting a 24mm motor mount. :D

Following a trip to Hobby Lobby, these are going to be keeping us busy during the cold winter nights...

rocket_fleet_new2.jpg

Screaming Mimi, Gemini DC, Python 4, Paveway, CC Express, Mercury Redstone.

Awesome fleet melvyn! I must get myself another Bullpup!
Karl

Wow sandman, even at 70% I pictured you having way more than that.

OK...let me clearify something.

The picture shows my current "in service" fleet.

I also have my "repitoire" of kits that I have made to sell...at least one of each and a few collectable kits signed and retired in my office. 22 Models there!

Retired, damaged and under de....I mean construction...at least 25 there.

Scratch kits I've made for ME...what I mean is parts all assembled and bagged, tubes cut, parts inventoried, plans and patterns printed, decals ready for a future build by me... when I have nothing to do...OK that may seem a little strange but I'm ready! I have at least 35 of those, 1/70th Saturn 1B's, Mars Lander...Some of Peter Always plans from "Scale Bash" stuff like that.

To be built kits...At least two 35 gallon plastic tubs FULL! I mean FULL!! marked "To Be Built"!;)

As for "collectable kits"...well...I'm with Micromister there!

"Our wives are gonna have one heck of a yard sale when we die"

...or sooner if she get's mad...hi honey:rolleyes:

Now you guys don't even want to know how much in collectable plastic space models and space memorabilia I have...they are in tubs under my HO train layout...oh...I have trains too!:D

I'm NEVER bored!

Originally posted by sandman
OK...let me clearify something.

The picture shows my current "in service" fleet.

I also have my "repitoire" of kits that I have made to sell...at least one of each and a few collectable kits signed and retired in my office. 22 Models there!

Retired, damaged and under de....I mean construction...at least 25 there.

Scratch kits I've made for ME...what I mean is parts all assembled and bagged, tubes cut, parts inventoried, plans and patterns printed, decals ready for a future build by me... when I have nothing to do...OK that may seem a little strange but I'm ready! I have at least 35 of those, 1/70th Saturn 1B's, Mars Lander...Some of Peter Always plans from "Scale Bash" stuff like that.

To be built kits...At least two 35 gallon plastic tubs FULL! I mean FULL!! marked "To Be Built"!;)

As for "collectable kits"...well...I'm with Micromister there!

"Our wives are gonna have one heck of a yard sale when we die"

...or sooner if she get's mad...hi honey:rolleyes:

Now you guys don't even want to know how much in collectable plastic space models and space memorabilia I have...they are in tubs under my HO train layout...oh...I have trains too!:D

I'm NEVER bored!

I aquiecse (sp).

Melvin,
How did you get your pictures to post like you did? By the way nice fledgling fleet, you'll love the Fatboy on 24mm, and it is real easy to convert to a 3 clustered 24mm.

I feel for you Sandman! It's rough being a hobbyist at times! I have been into just about every hobby that requires building but I always come back to rocketry. I was really into the train thing for some time but nothing beats the fire, smoke and whoosh of a rocket flight! Attached is a picture of a current "dust collector" up against the wall in my computer room!

Scott Now that is truely funny!
There must be a gene or inherent trait in hobbiest that draw us to varoius "speciaities" hobbies. I recently ran across this photo of my 4'x 8'x 16" deep fold up, fold away 3 lever 2 cab HO layout against the wall it what was to become Kathleens (youngest daughters) room. The bottom of the layout is a poster/bulletin board she filled with movie posters, patches and other push pin and thumb tack attached objects over the years. Note the 2 huge strap hinges attaching the layout to the wall. Haven't had the thing down in a long while.... it just hangs there waiting for the room to be clear enough to be lowered again....Maybe someday:(

Originally posted by kelltym88
Melvin,
How did you get your pictures to post like you did? By the way nice fledgling fleet, you'll love the Fatboy on 24mm, and it is real easy to convert to a 3 clustered 24mm.

He has his pictures somewhere on the Web, and he posted a link to them. He did not upload them to TRF like most people do. If you right-click on one of his pictures and choose "View Image" or whatever your browser of choice says, then look at the address shown up there in your browser where you type in addresses. That's where his pictures are located.

Sandman, Micromeister

LOL! got a big ol' HO train layout in my basement , its down there, patiently waiting for me to lose interest in rockets.

I think the common thing among us is the incessant need to create. To envision something and then build it is the tie that binds.

Mine won't "fold up"!

All my rocket "goodies" are stored underneith.

Hand laid track (with teeny tiny railroad spikes!) hand soldered switch frogs...yadda yadda yadda

This is my empire! My workbench is behind me.

'scuse me while I reel my eyeballs back in to my head!! some AMAZING pictures here people!!! oops my jaw just hit the floor again... wow, some real inspiration here.

Stevem, can you tell me about the Nike Hercules? and is that a Duck Dodgers up on the wall?

LOL - Sandman, looks a lot like my'empire' - got all the track laid. Whenever I get back to it will be scenery time!

CLS - The Nike-Hercules is one of my scratchbuilts.
4 engine 24mm cluster, turned the cone on my drill lathe and carved the transition by hand.

Nike in this thread

YEP - that's my Duck Dodgers Rocket hanging on the wall -
more info in this thread

Melvin,

As JohnT pointed out, I put the pictures on my webhost and linked to them. That way I can use bigger pictures, and not eat up TRF's bandwidth.

I was thinking about a clustered Fat Boy... the place we buy our supplies from has some pre-cut centering rings, including a set with three holes for 24mm mounts that will fit inside a BT80 tube. :D

I've always had a passion for trains myself, "N" scale. You guys have some nice layouts. My 4 year old is now enamored with Thomas the train. Boy, one of those layouts not being used would shure be nice in my house...Hint, Hint, wink, wink.

KelltyM88,
Shoot, It was enough of a pain in the backside getting this thing up one flight of stairs much less from Maryland to California! It only weighs about 20 pounds, it's all foam covered in plaster, but if it isn't the most awkward 20 pounds to manuver I don't know what is! If you choose to make one let me know, I'll give you plenty of advice!

Melvyn,
Thanks for the tip on posting pictures, I am going to do that right now!!!

Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery. I have a problem. I am, and have been, addicted to model rocketry since I was 11. This was not so much a problem when I got $3 a week allowance and really only got rockets for gifts. Then I got a paper route that got me $50 a week. Thats when the trouble started. I could have all the rockets I wanted. This coupled with the old Estes build-up program where you built display models for them in exchange for merchandise, started the model rocket collection from "heck". It also does not help that I have had at least part-time jobs in hobby shops for the last 22 years (darn emloyee discounts!!!). Now at 37 the problem was made very much apparent when I went through all of my model rocket kits and attempted to catalog and photograph them. The following links (thanks Melvyn but I realized your method would have taken up too much space so I did the next best thing!) show 90% of my disease which is still spreading. If I had a wife she would have several garage sales Micromeister but she would probably be the one to kill me! Let me just say that they are not for sale and there are very few kits that I am looking for to trade but since I enjoy looking at other people's collections I thought I would return the favor!

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc1

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc2

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc3

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc4

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc5

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc6

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc7

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc8

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc9

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc10

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc11

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc12

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc13

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc14

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc15

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc16

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc17

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc18

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc19

www.members.aol.com/plorkk/rc20

I seriously hope you've got a special insurance rider for all that!

Did you perchance buy out that massive find a couple of years ago? I think it was Great Lakes hobbies or something like that. It was a massive collection of old, unsold Estes and Centuri stock that was rumored to be going up for auction, but then nothing ever became of it. I had always suspected that someone made an offer and scooped up the whole lot.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery. I have a problem. I am, and have been, addicted to model rocketry since I was 11....

Now at 37 the problem was made very much apparent when I went through all of my model rocket kits and attempted to catalog and photograph them...

Let me just say that they are not for sale and there are very few kits that I am looking for to trade but since I enjoy looking at other people's collections I thought I would return the favor!

Wow, Scott!

I've only managed to look at rc1 through rc5, and... wow.

How many unopened kits do you have? I'd be willing to bet that you've counted them. And how many from each manufacturer?

How many rockets do you have that are built? Let's see pictures of them!

Also... wow.

:)

And thanks again, btw. I need to update my signature!

Am I the only one having a problem with your links, rocketflite? When I click on them all I get is crazy writing. Do I need aol?

Am I the only one having a problem with your links, rocketflite? When I click on them all I get is crazy writing. Do I need aol?

kelltym88,

The links don't work with Firefox, but they do work with Internet Explorer. I have no idea why. Actually, I'm guessing it's because he named his pictures without the ".jpg" extension. IE seems to be able to handle them anyway, whereas Firefox assumes they are text files, or at least that's what it looks like.

rokitflite,

Any chance you could rename those pictures with the ".jpg" extension on them, and then rename the links accordingly? That should make them work for everyone.

Hi Vjp,
No, the only massive aquisition which accounted for about 150 of the kits are from a friends collection who passed away. Most were purchased in the 80s and early 90s. By the way, Great Lakes Hobbies is selling those models on Ebay a few at a time, I just bought a pro kit Jayhawk for a friend from them.

JRThro,
The total number of kits pictured is, I believe, just over 1000. I have some that I did not bother to photograph like 40 more Explorer Aquarius (got em cheap) and several more of the re-released Maxi V-2. Then I've bought, traded and aquired about 50 more since I took the pictures last year (I'm telling you I can't stop!).

KelltyM88,
Sorry, I compu-stupid. I have no idea how to change file extensions or anything.

Originally posted by rokitflite

JRThro,
The total number of kits pictured is, I believe, just over 1000. I have some that I did not bother to photograph like 40 more Explorer Aquarius (got em cheap) and several more of the re-released Maxi V-2. Then I've bought, traded and aquired about 50 more since I took the pictures last year (I'm telling you I can't stop!).

What do you have that's built? :)

Back