What's for Christmas dinner?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A dozen appetizers/finger foods, both frozen and homemade (sausage cheese balls! Addictive!). Plus homemade desserts. My blood sugar is going to be terrible tomorrow.:eek:

Geniece and the girls (Corinne and April) will eat turkey or ham, but they aren't big fans of either. Rib roast or steaks are both good but...on our first date Geniece put ketchup on a steak (she doesn't any more, thank goodness). And Corinne said she'd rather have a hamburger... We did the appetizer thing a few years ago and it worked pretty well.

So what is the rocketry community having tomorrow?

Happy Christmas and Reasonably-Sober New Year!
Terry

I work night shift tonight and my wife works 2nd on Christmas Day, so our big dinner will be Thursday. Lunch tonight will probably be some leftover chicken verde tacos. My partner said he would bring some cookies and fudge in for the 3 of us on duty.

Thursday, we are planning on smoking a turkey and serving sweet potatoes, a cheese potato casserole, green beans with bacon and cheese, homemade rolls and yet to be determined desserts. Looks like we should have plenty of sugar and starch to go around for everyone.

We have Christmas dinner at Wayco's sisters house and they always request that Wayne make his famous Crescent Rolls

And none of those rolls come home, either. The family will horde what isn't eaten....

I think they are cooking a ham and mashed potatoes. I'm bringing fresh organic Brussels sprouts which is Wayne's favorite vegetable.

I do a variation of this https://www.food.com/recipe/emerils-bacon-brussels-sprouts-326004

and I'll put together a veggie tray for appetizers from Blue Sky Organic Farms picked yesterday.

Holiday's with his family is a cross between fresh, organic real food and Standard American Diet. I just bring a lot of wine to compensate.

Ohh mann,,
You're all killin me..
Everything sounds so good,, lol..
I fry a Turkey for Thanksgiving,,
my wife Sandy makes a pork roast for Christmas eve..
Assorted sides and appetizers..
It's always so wonderful when friends and family gather for great food and laughter..

I have some killer recipes if anyone would like..
Just let me know what you're interested in..

Have a wonderful Christmas everybody..

Teddy..

We do a big spread. About 25 adults and another 20 or so short people. There will be Christmas goose, standing rib roast, probably a ham and/or turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean (casserole), carrots, tons of appetizers, a few dessert choices. It’s always a good spread with very few leftovers. All of it homemade except the goose.

We do a big spread. About 25 adults and another 20 or so short people. There will be Christmas goose, standing rib roast, probably a ham and/or turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean (casserole), carrots, tons of appetizers, a few dessert choices. It’s always a good spread with very few leftovers. All of it homemade except the goose.

Andrew,
I have always wanted to try goose but have never had the opportunity..
How is it cooked / roasted ??
During the cook / roast how do you deal with the rendered fat / dripping ??
I've heard there's a LOT of that..
The way you wrote your post it sounded like you may be buying it already cooked..
If so,, where ??

Teddy

The goose is the only thing we get already prepared. It’s pretty much all dark meat even the breast. There’s not much meat on a goose compared to a turkey. About the same amount of meat as an average chicken. We get it from the farmers market the next town over. The meat is rich and delicious, some parts can be a little tough. Not too fatty by the time we get it. You can tell there was a lot of fat though by the richness, also it’s like half the size of the geese you see alive. It looks like it was baked or roasted. I assume there’s uses for the rendered fat. The only time I get to eat it is at Christmas. Usually it’s accompanied by some dried fruit type of ‘stuffing’ that’s cooked outside the bird.

The goose is the only thing we get already prepared. It’s pretty much all dark meat even the breast. There’s not much meat on a goose compared to a turkey. About the same amount of meat as an average chicken. We get it from the farmers market the next town over. The meat is rich and delicious, some parts can be a little tough. Not too fatty by the time we get it. You can tell there was a lot of fat though by the richness, also it’s like half the size of the geese you see alive. It looks like it was baked or roasted. I assume there’s uses for the rendered fat. The only time I get to eat it is at Christmas. Usually it’s accompanied by some dried fruit type of ‘stuffing’ that’s cooked outside the bird.

Wow, I'm really surprised..
I always thought they were huge..
The whole richness thing makes sense though..
I wonder how that'd work if you fryed one..
You'd wind up with more oil in the pot then you started with, lol..

Teddy

I know they use duck fat to fry French fries in some places. It would stand to reason you could use the fat from a goose to fry things too.

I know they use duck fat to fry French fries in some places. It would stand to reason you could use the fat from a goose to fry things too.

Yep,,
For sure..
And duck fat is used for its richness..
I'd think you'd get the same from the goose fat..

Teddy

Butter baste for poultry: two sticks salted, softened butter, one handful chopped FRESH parsley, garlic, juice and zest of two lemons, salt and pepper. This goes under the skin of the bird. The two sticks of butter are for a 20 lb. bird of larger. This smells absolutely phenomenal as your mixing. Light, tangy and uplifting. You'd want everyone in the kitchen for this.

Visiting girlfriends parents in San Diego (my first time there). At thanksgiving she asked if her dad wanted to make Prime Rib and he said "sure!"

I'll pitch in helping get the rest ready im sure.

A simple way to moisten lean turkey is to simply roast it upside down. It's first roasted breast side up to brown the breast for 20 min. Then turn it upside down allowing the juices from the dark meat to gravitate into the white meat. No butter baste under the skin for this method.

For turkey gravy, of course I use all the drippings in the pan, two chopped Romano tomatoes, wing tips and butt end goes into the pan, chicken broth, three bottles of apple cider. Strain then thicken in a small pan while placing a couple of sprigs of FRESH rosemary in while thickening.

Last edited:
For a large bird I use an entire package of bacon to cover the breast side. Crumble up the bacon and put it in the gravy which I forgot above to state. I had also forgotten to mention we add a couple of halved lemons and onions in the cavity. These too will be incorporated into the gravy.

Tonight, no meat. So it'll be fish and pierogi. Similar to the Italians' Feast of Seven Fishes.
Tomorrow, the typical baked ham; probably with a peach glaze.

Not sure for New Year's just yet. In the past, I've fired a turkey, so may be doing that again. Otherwise, it'll be filet (pun intended).

Prime Rib, Ham, Broccoli w cheese sauce, and mashed potatoes. We have two meats because my sister-in-law has digestive issue with beef, of course she makes the best desserts. Appetizers are stuffed mushrooms 2 ways krab filling and italian sausage filling.

We have Christmas dinner at Wayco's sisters house and they always request that Wayne make his famous Crescent Rolls

And none of those rolls come home, either. The family will horde what isn't eaten....

I think they are cooking a ham and mashed potatoes. I'm bringing fresh organic Brussels sprouts which is Wayne's favorite vegetable.

I do a variation of this https://www.food.com/recipe/emerils-bacon-brussels-sprouts-326004

and I'll put together a veggie tray for appetizers from Blue Sky Organic Farms picked yesterday.

Holiday's with his family is a cross between fresh, organic real food and Standard American Diet. I just bring a lot of wine to compensate.
Brussel Sprouts saute'ed in butter, bacon and brown sugar...yum...

Back