What would be a good scale build that has not been done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Hello looking for imput . What would be something cool to do but not something everyone has done yet . Thinking in 3-4 inch so not sure what the scale would be yet .

Does your proclivity lean towards military missiles, scientific rockets, or spacecraft, may I inquire?

Cheers,
Michael

I would be open to all . Maybe more so with space or science

Yes very cool . And it could be a full scale at 60 inch long

Hello looking for imput . What would be something cool to do but not something everyone has done yet . Thinking in 3-4 inch so not sure what the scale would be yet .

The MR-1 was a Soviet upper atmospheric research rocket from the 1950's, sort of a Russian version of the Aerobee, with a liquid upper stage and a clustered solid booster. At launch, the upper stage exhaust fired through the space between the eight booster motors. I don't know of anyone in the US who has built one.

MR-1 32 dimensions.jpg MR-1 32 colors.jpg

Done rarely and a model rocket kit out there but a Falcon 9 with Dragon capsule, 3 clear fins and legs the deploy shortly after the main.
I keep waiting for someone to print up deployed legs with clear fin centers, should be plenty of surface.

Do the first re-used one in 4in!

Has anyone made a model of the Lockheed X-17?
Large fins, varied body, cool paint pattern, interesting history.
Should be a fairly straightforward build.
Specs are in Alway's Rocket's of the World.

As such there are likely many models of it already.

An internet source: https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app1/x-17.html

That would be great with a 7.5" first stage, about ten feet tall with a 2.6" third stage would be pretty close to scale.

Last edited:
I keep waiting for someone to print up deployed legs with clear fin centers, should be plenty of surface.

Do the first re-used one in 4in!

The launch would look silly since the Falcon doesn't launch with the legs deployed, but if it floated down in the same orientation that would be cool looking.

Not sure how to best deploy the legs when the parachute ejects then again the clear fins would ruin the look a little bit. I'd still love to see one.

The launch would look silly since the Falcon doesn't launch with the legs deployed, but if it floated down in the same orientation that would be cool looking.

Not sure how to best deploy the legs when the parachute ejects then again the clear fins would ruin the look a little bit. I'd still love to see one.
Sillier than what? All the other sorta-scalish compromises we make to get stable fliers without tiny gimbals? :)

The MR-1 was a Soviet upper atmospheric research rocket from the 1950's, sort of a Russian version of the Aerobee, with a liquid upper stage and a clustered solid booster. At launch, the upper stage exhaust fired through the space between the eight booster motors. I don't know of anyone in the US who has built one.

View attachment 316795 View attachment 316796

I like that one!

Cheers,
Michael

This is an idea that I have thought about, but haven't got around to, yet. There was a TV series that was shown back in about the 1960 time-frame called "Men Into Space". In the show they put a spacecraft with slight wings on top of the Atlas.

A plastic 1/48 scale model of the Men Into Space is available at the link that follows:

https://www.fantastic-plastic.com/men-into-space-type-1-spaceship---catalog.html

It remains to find an Atlas model that is close to this scale. If you go to page 2 of the TRF thread below, you will find that rocketguy101 gives instructions how to build a 1/45 scale Atlas from a BT-80 tube, which is about 2.64" diameter. I am thinking that the 1/45 scale will be a close enough match to the 1/48 Men Into Space upper spacecraft to make the entire vehicle. To the best of my knowledge this has never been done. I would think that this completed model would be eligible to compete in the NAR future fiction category. I wish rocketguy101 offered a kit. If so, I wouldn't hesitate to buy all the parts to finish this model.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?45347-Mercury-Atlas&highlight=atlas+mercury

Last edited:
Back