What will you do with your stimulus check?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I was on the Internet and they mentioned that the stimulus checks will be issued / deposited within the next few weeks. Can you say "rocket money" I think all the vendors should have a stimulus sale kind of like BF and BS. Now that would be cool!

I'm a college student who is listed as a dependent, so I'm not getting one. Kinda sucks, could have gotten my L3 with it and still have the majority left over.

We will probably put a good chunk of it in our son's college fund and spend the rest on a cabin in the mountains for a much needed break when this mess is over.

We aren’t getting a check. I’m not sure “stimulus” is the right term for the payment anyway.

We’re not going to get one either. Pension and Social Security put me over the criteria.

But I haven’t let that little detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY: Mach1 Red Shift 54 in the mail. It’s the second Mach 1 kit I’ve purchased since quarantine and fourth kit overall in the past three weeks.

Next on my list is the Egg Finder GPS “Whole Enchilada” with Black Aero case.

We’re not going to get one either. Pension and Social Security put me over the criteria.

But I haven’t let that little detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY: Mach1 Red Shift 54 in the mail. It’s the second Mach 1 kit I’ve purchased since quarantine and fourth kit overall in the past three weeks.

Next on my list is the Egg Finder GPS “Whole Enchilada” with Black Aero case.

We haven't let the detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY either. I might pull the trigger on a Black Fly...

CrSyveBg.jpg

money-banking-economy-credit_crunch-recession-bail_out-bailout-kpon21_low.jpg

We haven't let the detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY either. I might pull the trigger on a Black Fly...
The Black Fly is an awesome bird.

A club member has one done up in red and black. He did his L1 cert with it from the pad next to mine a month or two ago.

There might be photos of it somewhere here on TRF.

Will we have to pay taxes on this money???

No.

The only caveat is the check is considered an advance payment on a 2020 tax credit. If your 2019 income allowed you to be sent the full amount, but you make enough in 2020 that you would not have received a check or would have received a smaller one, you'll have to pay the difference.

Most, if not all will go into the sons account.
I may take $100 to put into my account for the eventual purchase of my Pitmaker Vault smoker.

I'm gonna spend about $2400 on Coor's Light and enjoy My summer next to the grill with all this meat I stock pilled !!!!

My wife's hours have been cut in half, both cars need tires...

And with my luck the house AC unit will need work :(

If you are a college student and you get one, play with a compound interest calculator and see what that 2000 could look like when you retire in 40 years

https://www.getsmarteraboutmoney.ca/calculators/compound-interest-calculator/

I actually got a small inheritance from a distant relative in Japan who is still living but decided to hand out money early so she could enjoy giving it away. I'm very grateful and decided to spend about a third of it covering a college bill, invested a third in index funds and am planning on spending the last third on a business idea I had.

However, I triple checked and sadly I am not eligible for it. It would have been nice to have some spending money as the place I usually work during the summer said they are not going to be hiring this year, which sucks.

Not eligible. Enjoy your checks and stimulate the economy.

The only caveat is the check is considered an advance payment on a 2020 tax credit. If your 2019 income allowed you to be sent the full amount, but you make enough in 2020 that you would not have received a check or would have received a smaller one, you'll have to pay the difference.

That actually works out for me because what I said above is what I would have used my 2020 return for anyway, but since I get it early, the debt I am dropping most of the money into doesn't have as long to generate interest.

If they use my 2018 tax return to calculate it, we won’t get much. If they use 2019, we will get most of it. Our income varies a lot year by year. So far our business is holding up well through this, so if that looks like it will continue, and we don’t need the money, we will probably donate a bunch of it to local food banks and relief organizations.

The purpose of the checks is to keep the economy alive with money flowing, so I’d encourage everyone to spend it or give it away to someone who will. Get it into the economy. Support a business you want to see survive.

Yeah, I have three kids in college, well not mine LOL, they belong to my auto mechanic. I did the timing belt last week, so the two sets of tires latter this month will help him out ;)

Oh, and I will buy a couple of rockets :)

I am thinking of getting parts to make an L2 rocket with my check. Probably TRY to buy a roll or two of toilet paper with the wife's check.

Last edited:
Likely the food bank and the group supporting homeless students at our high school. We'll see how much we get.

Back