What will you do with your stimulus check?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

AfterBurners

Reaction score
So I was on the Internet and they mentioned that the stimulus checks will be issued / deposited within the next few weeks. Can you say "rocket money" I think all the vendors should have a stimulus sale kind of like BF and BS. Now that would be cool!

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Spend mine on rocket stuff and give it all away when Starbucks re-opens.

Rocket501

Reaction score
I'm a college student who is listed as a dependent, so I'm not getting one. Kinda sucks, could have gotten my L3 with it and still have the majority left over.

NateB

Reaction score
We will probably put a good chunk of it in our son's college fund and spend the rest on a cabin in the mountains for a much needed break when this mess is over.

jmuck78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We aren’t getting a check. I’m not sure “stimulus” is the right term for the payment anyway.

Dipstick

Reaction score

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
We aren’t getting a check. I’m not sure “stimulus” is the right term for the payment anyway.
We’re not going to get one either. Pension and Social Security put me over the criteria.

But I haven’t let that little detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY: Mach1 Red Shift 54 in the mail. It’s the second Mach 1 kit I’ve purchased since quarantine and fourth kit overall in the past three weeks.

Next on my list is the Egg Finder GPS “Whole Enchilada” with Black Aero case.

Antares JS

Reaction score
Got some home improvement financing debt to clear up with most of it, but I got permission from the wife to buy the motor case and reloads for my eventual L3 rocket.

jmuck78

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We’re not going to get one either. Pension and Social Security put me over the criteria.

But I haven’t let that little detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY: Mach1 Red Shift 54 in the mail. It’s the second Mach 1 kit I’ve purchased since quarantine and fourth kit overall in the past three weeks.

Next on my list is the Egg Finder GPS “Whole Enchilada” with Black Aero case.
We haven't let the detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY either. I might pull the trigger on a Black Fly...

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
We haven't let the detail stop me from spending ROCKET MONEY either. I might pull the trigger on a Black Fly...
The Black Fly is an awesome bird.

A club member has one done up in red and black. He did his L1 cert with it from the pad next to mine a month or two ago.

There might be photos of it somewhere here on TRF.

NateB

Reaction score
Will we have to pay taxes on this money???
No.

The only caveat is the check is considered an advance payment on a 2020 tax credit. If your 2019 income allowed you to be sent the full amount, but you make enough in 2020 that you would not have received a check or would have received a smaller one, you'll have to pay the difference.

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Take that back, probably not getting one. Just open up the coffee shops.

TSMILLER

Reaction score
Most, if not all will go into the sons account.
I may take $100 to put into my account for the eventual purchase of my Pitmaker Vault smoker.

Toothless

Reaction score
I'm gonna spend about $2400 on Coor's Light and enjoy My summer next to the grill with all this meat I stock pilled !!!!

PXR5

Starship Hijacker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's hours have been cut in half, both cars need tires...

And with my luck the house AC unit will need work :(

BBowmaster

Reaction score
Past Due bills and food. Maybe even splurge and go to McDonald’s once.

Rocket501

Reaction score
If you are a college student and you get one, play with a compound interest calculator and see what that 2000 could look like when you retire in 40 years

https://www.getsmarteraboutmoney.ca/calculators/compound-interest-calculator/
I actually got a small inheritance from a distant relative in Japan who is still living but decided to hand out money early so she could enjoy giving it away. I'm very grateful and decided to spend about a third of it covering a college bill, invested a third in index funds and am planning on spending the last third on a business idea I had.

However, I triple checked and sadly I am not eligible for it. It would have been nice to have some spending money as the place I usually work during the summer said they are not going to be hiring this year, which sucks.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Not eligible. Enjoy your checks and stimulate the economy.

Antares JS

Reaction score
The only caveat is the check is considered an advance payment on a 2020 tax credit. If your 2019 income allowed you to be sent the full amount, but you make enough in 2020 that you would not have received a check or would have received a smaller one, you'll have to pay the difference.
That actually works out for me because what I said above is what I would have used my 2020 return for anyway, but since I get it early, the debt I am dropping most of the money into doesn't have as long to generate interest.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
If they use my 2018 tax return to calculate it, we won’t get much. If they use 2019, we will get most of it. Our income varies a lot year by year. So far our business is holding up well through this, so if that looks like it will continue, and we don’t need the money, we will probably donate a bunch of it to local food banks and relief organizations.

The purpose of the checks is to keep the economy alive with money flowing, so I’d encourage everyone to spend it or give it away to someone who will. Get it into the economy. Support a business you want to see survive.

PXR5

Starship Hijacker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I have three kids in college, well not mine LOL, they belong to my auto mechanic. I did the timing belt last week, so the two sets of tires latter this month will help him out ;)

Oh, and I will buy a couple of rockets :)

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting parts to make an L2 rocket with my check. Probably TRY to buy a roll or two of toilet paper with the wife's check.

Last edited:

boatgeek

Reaction score
Likely the food bank and the group supporting homeless students at our high school. We'll see how much we get.