What was yours?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say that it was my drill press my parents got me for my birthday! It is so totally awesome! :) :)

I think that the most awesome rocketry thing I ever bought for myself would be my NCR Phantom 4000 starter kit with my birthday money a coupla years ago, IIRC.

Jason

Yay! I'm the first to reply!

I *haven't* received any rocketry gifts yet, however I will be buying a tethys with my birthday money this year...

I don't suppose that anything purchased on your own... could be considered a gift...

In that case ... I've never recieved a rocketry "gift"...

Rats...

A gift certificate to the local hobby shop/motor dealer.

Well the only rocketry gift ive recieved was my Estes Tidal Wave starter set, so I guess that is the most memorable :D

Phil

Well, almost all of my rocket stuff was bought by me, but this past christmas I did get a little something from my mom.

I opened it up, and it was a box loaded with packs of D12 and E9 motors. I can't remember how many, but it was good.
I'm 29 years old and yelling woo-hoo with a big grin just like when I was 9 and got a Castle Greyskull.

I told my mom, "I didn't even think you'd know what they were."
She said, "I didn't. I had the clerk show me where they were and I just got the biggest ones they had."

Now that's a good Mom. :)

And then my Grandparents gave me a gift card to Hobby Lobby just a few minutes later.

And then my Stepdad asked me how old I was.
Then I said it didn't matter, because I'd never be as old as him.
All in good fun of course, since he goes with me to launch rockets quite often.

It was a Christmas I'll never forget. :p

Tim

Christmas 1971 or '72: my aunt and uncle gave me the Estes Saturn 1B. My uncle worked for Grumman, on navigation systems for the LM. A few years ago when my mom moved she showed me a bunch of old pictures. There was one of me and my brother in front of the tree, and there was no mistaking that big, plain white box!
Drew Tomko

I got the AT Initiator Starter Set (RMS) for my birthday a few months before the AT fire...

Loopy

My wife got me a air compresser and automotive paint gun for my birthday this year! Still haven't tried it out, but it will be happening soon. Woo-hoo! No more tiny little rattle cans!

Is without a doubt the Estes/Vashon Valkyrie 2 Cold Power Rocket kit that i got back in '69 or '70.

that memory kicked off this foray into rocketry as an adult.

About three years ago, my sister gave my son an R2-D2 starter set for Christmas.
About three days ago, we returned from LDRS 23.
Where it goes from here, no one knows.

The Christmas present from my daughter, Jen, that reads:

James Flis
President & CEO
FlisKits, Incorporated

:)

The very first rocket set I got. I was 11 and too old for an Easter basket, so my mom got me a Screaming Eagle launch set and a SkyLab rocket all from Centuri.
I wonder if that influenced me in some way...

Well, my most memorable was my Model Missile Aerobee Hi I got from my brother in 1957.

Then after that was the Big Daddy my daughter got me for Father's Day a few years ago...seemed appropriate.

sandman

I would have to say the <a href="https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes86/86est8.html">Estes Sizzler Starter Set</a> that my dad gave me back in '89/'90 was the absolute BEST gift I ever received. My friend Tim had gotten me into rockets. I just HAD to have one after one day when we launched one on his dad's farm. I still think that to this day it was one of the best investments my dad ever made. He still comes out to meets whenever he gets a chance.

I want to see if anyone knows what I am describing. Way back about 1958 or 1959 or so, I was given a rocket kit that was water-powered. It seems this rocket had a launch tower of some sort that hooked up to a water hose. After a short time, the pressure built up and you pulled a string that launched the rocket and it seemed it went way up there!:eek: I may be wrong but it seems that it also deployed a parachute too....but I don't know how it would have done that....I may be confusing this with later Estes type stuff. The rocket seemed to have black and white markings that I guess were some roll patterns....seems like it had a black "Mercury" type capsule....almost Merc Redstone like. Would this time period have been too early for Mercury Redstone based toys? I don't remember any company product name, but in this forum a while back, someone mentioned a publication on toy rocket history....water rocket segment....and the name Aurora was mentioned. This is vaguely familiar....of course I know of Aurora later in my plastic model building phase. If anyone is familiar with this, I surely would like to here about it!!!:)

Originally posted by jflis
The Christmas present from my daughter, Jen, that reads:

James Flis
President & CEO
FlisKits, Incorporated

:)

Cool! What was it written on?

It's an oak desk name sign with a brass inscribed plate. Very handsome :)

Right now it's sitting atop my monitor. Will look nice in my *office* once I have one :)

Originally posted by billEblurzz
I want to see if anyone knows what I am describing. Way back about 1958 or 1959 or so, I was given a rocket kit that was water-powered. It seems this rocket had a launch tower of some sort that hooked up to a water hose. After a short time, the pressure built up and you pulled a string that launched the rocket and it seemed it went way up there!:eek: I may be wrong but it seems that it also deployed a parachute too....but I don't know how it would have done that....I may be confusing this with later Estes type stuff. The rocket seemed to have black and white markings that I guess were some roll patterns....seems like it had a black "Mercury" type capsule....almost Merc Redstone like. Would this time period have been too early for Mercury Redstone based toys? I don't remember any company product name, but in this forum a while back, someone mentioned a publication on toy rocket history....water rocket segment....and the name Aurora was mentioned. This is vaguely familiar....of course I know of Aurora later in my plastic model building phase. If anyone is familiar with this, I surely would like to here about it!!!:)

Yep, I had one of those. I can't remember if it was the Merc Redstone or just the Redstone missile. The Mercury capsule was designed by that time, so it could have been.

as for the parachute, it was held in place by the pressure of the water. As the rocket went up, it released that pressure until enough was gone that the chute could pop out.

very cool, low tech model rocketry :)

Originally posted by eugenefl
I would have to say the <a href="https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes86/86est8.html">Estes Sizzler Starter Set</a> that my dad gave me back in '89/'90 was the absolute BEST gift I ever received. My friend Tim had gotten me into rockets. I just HAD to have one after one day when we launched one on his dad's farm. I still think that to this day it was one of the best investments my dad ever made. He still comes out to meets whenever he gets a chance.

That was my first rocket! I still have it, and it still flies occassionally! Love that kit! Much better than the newer sizzler kits...lol

Loopy

Fathers Day this year I got a gift certificate for PML and bought a teridactyl jr? haven,t finished it yet its on the bench with an Estes V2 that a friend bought me.

The best rocket present i've had is a Launch Pad 'matra magic'.It was given to me by Andy( the old owner of deepsky model rockets)for christmasI was completely chuffed as this was probably the last unmade Launch Pad kit in the U.K.:D

Originally posted by arthur dent
I was completely chuffed as this was probably the last unmade Launch Pad kit in the U.K.:D

I wouldn't be _too_ sure about that. I know several pathalogical kit hoarders!

Last Christmas...my mother-in-law gave me a substantial gift certificate to Magnum, thus finally kicking the door wide-open to High Power. Otherwise, I was too stingy to spend money on casings.:D

Back