What was the first rocket you ever launched?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonB

Reaction score
Mine was an Estes Epic II Jan 5th 2021
I was at my friend’s farm. Unfortunately we did not recover it. So I built more of them :) i was pretty excited about my first launch, so I found some youtube videos to play in the back ground via bluetooth speaker at the time of launch

View attachment IMG_1092.mov

Estes Astron Starlight in 1971. I had Vern and Gleda sign it a few years back and now it sits on a shelf over my workbench.

MPC Pioneer 1 - the date is a minor discrepancy, either late summer 69 or spring 70 - neither my folks or I can remember if my MPC starter set was a birthday or Christmas present that year 😆

My first was Estes Ranger on a Estes D12-5........1988
Was with my wife buying some fish for our aquarium.....noticed some Estes kits hanging on the wall in the store
Told my wife that looks like fun, so I bought one.....been in rocketry ever since

My first was a Centuri Payloader2, way back in 1969 when I was eight years old.I continued flying it for another15 years after that.I think I've lost more rockets than most people have ever had.I've had easily over hundreds of kits, the exact number escapes me at the moment.I too had a Cox Honest John but it was damaged in a freak accident and wasn't repairable, but that was over thirty years ago and I've been looking for another one ever since.Anyone have any idea where I can possibly find one? I'd be willing to pay whatever price was asked.

Centuri Mercury Redstone. Already had modeling experience from plastic models. This was not difficult to build. $4.95 back in the day and snail mail brought it to my home.

My first was a Centuri Payloader2, way back in 1969 when I was eight years old.I continued flying it for another15 years after that.I think I've lost more rockets than most people have ever had.I've had easily over hundreds of kits, the exact number escapes me at the moment.I too had a Cox Honest John but it was damaged in a freak accident and wasn't repairable, but that was over thirty years ago and I've been looking for another one ever since.Anyone have any idea where I can possibly find one? I'd be willing to pay whatever price was asked.
I've had two cats who lived that long. That's a long time for either a rocket or pet. Look on eBay. You can also find the items that were already sold to give you an idea what the market is paying for them. You can get email notifications when something shows up as well.

Very early 80's, Estes 1906 Sizzler starter pack.

Keep meaning to scratch build one, and maybe do an upscale. I have a long list of things I mean to do.

-Hans

My first was Estes Ranger on a Estes D12-5........1988
Was with my wife buying some fish for our aquarium.....noticed some Estes kits hanging on the wall in the store
Told my wife that looks like fun, so I bought one.....been in rocketry ever since
Like going to a dealership to get your oil changed and come out with a brand new car. Pricey oil change.

Like going to a dealership to get your oil changed and come out with a brand new car. Pricey oil change.
Yeah, but that's the nature of the beast.There's a few on Ebay right now that I'm keeping an eye on,might just buy a few of them once my money comes in.Once that happens I'm gonnabe a busy boy.Going back to flying after being away from it for 35 years.I have a lot of time on my hands these days and I can't think of a better way to fill up that time.I was always a very deliberate builder so it would fit me very well now.However it's strictly low power because that's about all I can afford now.

Estes Brute-Max Honest John back in 77 on a D12-3.
Great kit.I had one of them right around the same time.Flew like a frozen rope every time, beautifully straight and just high enough to make it memorable.Had a bad bunch of D12's that destroyed it and the Maxi Brute V-2 I had.That was close to forty years ago!Guess I'm one of the old dogs now.

My first flight was in the early 70's. On a dare I couldn't tell you what it was. Of course, in those days I was more about building than flying (hmm, not much different from today, but nowadays I at least make sure to get every build into the air).

My hat is off to those who can remember back that far.

My first flight was in the early 70's. On a dare I couldn't tell you what it was. Of course, in those days I was more about building than flying (hmm, not much different from today, but nowadays I at least make sure to get every build into the air).

My hat is off to those who can remember back that far.
My first build was yesterday. 🤪

Estes WAC Corporal, maybe 1965-1967 (not sure how old I was). Sooo very careful building it.. but had the nosecone on too tight. Straight up, straight down! My dad and I were looking at it coming right back down at us and weren't sure which way to run! It lawn darted about 15 ft from the little red Estes battery-box launch pad. Fortunately the field was soft enough that it lived to fly another day, albeit with the body tube 1/4" shorter!

Back