What type of paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teryglenn1

Reaction score
What type of paint do you use. I usually use spray paint from krylon, and then use masking tape to make my design. What kinda paint do you guys use.

I'll give you the same recommendation that most everybody around here will:

Do a search on here and you'll find a bajillion threads on this subject, and they all say pretty much the same thing! The big name brands tend to be better, try to avoid mixing paint brands/types, and use the finish compatability chart on EMRR!

WW

I like:

Krylon Paints and Primers
Dupli Color Metallics
3M Auto masking tape (auto supply stores)
3M masking Tape (Blue)

Flying-Silverad ...

gimme some advice on the Dupli-color. last week I used some of their metallic "anodized" green on a rocket.

The can dribbled all over my sprayer handle, fortunately it didn't spit too much on the rocket.

I used plenty of the "metallic base coat" primer, but the final finish did not come out very sparkly at all.

worst, as it dried a bunch of bubbles appeared and popped.

so now instead of a nice bright anodized rocket I have a lumpy toad!!

cls,

I had the same problem with the paint impinging on the can rim. The paint nozzle depresses down too far. I notified Duplicolor by email and got a full refund for two cans of anodized metallic blue paint. I found out Duplicolor is not interested in fixing the problem with their paint can/nozzles.

Originally posted by cls
Flying-Silverad ...

gimme some advice on the Dupli-color. last week I used some of their metallic "anodized" green on a rocket.

The can dribbled all over my sprayer handle, fortunately it didn't spit too much on the rocket.

I used plenty of the "metallic base coat" primer, but the final finish did not come out very sparkly at all.

worst, as it dried a bunch of bubbles appeared and popped.

so now instead of a nice bright anodized rocket I have a lumpy toad!!

It is tricky to paint with but follow these steps for best results:
-Paint only when humidity and temp are within limits. The drier, the better
-Never paint in the sun
-Follow the instructions on the can to the letter. If you wait too long to paint the top coat, you'll end up with a nasty finish.
-Always clean the nozzle before and after use. To do this turn can upside down and squeeze nozzle for a few seconds. This should clear most of the "snot" out of nozzle and leave it clean for the next use. I also do this just before I paint. Clean of nozzle face as well.
-Start your spray off the rocket and sweep through it.
-Your top finish is only as good as your prep...
-A tack cloth always comes in handy
-I paint about three coats of each base and top coats.
-IMHO>>Paint temp and ambient temp should be the same

Mighty Mick with Anodized Yellow

wow, Mighty Mick looks great. those metallic colors really show any defects in the prep!! (on my rocket, some of the fillets are sloppy and the green shows it. oh well. from now on, everything's gonna be black!)

the nozzle was certainly clean, I always check that. I think you are right about the weather, it was somewhat cool (55oF) and at 40% RH not as dry as usual.

between the poor final color, the bubbles, the dribbling and spitting, I think I'll use something else next time.

something I've noticed on TRF: in certain areas of the country - let's say that's equivalent to weather - people swear by certain brands of paint. in other areas of the country, people swear at those same brands of paint.

Originally posted by cls
wow, Mighty Mick looks great. those metallic colors really show any defects in the prep!! (on my rocket, some of the fillets are sloppy and the green shows it. oh well. from now on, everything's gonna be black!)

the nozzle was certainly clean, I always check that. I think you are right about the weather, it was somewhat cool (55oF) and at 40% RH not as dry as usual.

between the poor final color, the bubbles, the dribbling and spitting, I think I'll use something else next time.

something I've noticed on TRF: in certain areas of the country - let's say that's equivalent to weather - people swear by certain brands of paint. in other areas of the country, people swear at those same brands of paint.

If you ever find a real nice metallic paint, please drop me an e-mail!! I'm always looking to improve!!:D

I think I have tried all the "silver" and "gold" spray paints and am unimpressed by all of them. none of them are really shiny, some are just plain dull; they all lose their luster quickly in air and instantly from finger oils; none of them will take a clear coat ... bleah.

from now on instead we'll use that holographic sticker paper from TAP plastics. or else the "hammered look" rustoleum. (why does the phrase "hammered look" make me think of hangovers?!??)

cls,

Here is one of the cans of Duplicolor Metallic Anodized blue. I did get a first class paint.

Duplicolors customer service department told me not to buy their product at discount stores because people will sometimes spray the cans in the store. I told them I never buy paint that has been tampered with and besides that has nothing to do with this problem.

if you use the anodized you need to prime it with this really glossy white or silver primer then the anodized then a really really glossy clear coat... i did it to my playstation and when you go into the sun it reflects and is blinding...

for paints i use whatevers downstairs in the basement

edit:

also for really smooth finishes use a fatcap... im not sure if thats just a err... term that some of my friends use or if its the real name... what it does is sprays very wide... i think there the same caps on a wd40 bottle... they waste a bit of paint but you wont get any drips...

I used the Dupli-Color Gold and Magenta Mirage paint system on my PML Explorer and I was very pleased with the way it came out.

Just make sure to follow the directions for the best results.

Check it out at www.duplicolor.com

Back