What to go for first???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thingsgobang

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and building/launching rockets so i am going to need as much information as possible from everyone on here :wink: I have loved the idea of rockets for many many years from watching space movies through out my life to the old launch to the moon and mars etc, I have also always had a love for R/C i have owned helicopters, airplanes and cars so i have some experience in building and flying models and not going to lie love it a true passion if i could get in the real things and fly/drive i would haha.

So i have been searching online for a beginners build rocket kit for sale and there are quiet a few to choose from so i am a little stuck i am looking for something that i can take a few days building as a project and then take it to the field to hit the big air, the higher it goes the better :tongue: my 2 options and specs below.

001722 - Comet Chaser™

"Skill Level 1
A new shining star has been added to the Estes bluk pack line! The Comet Chaser is an easy-to-build Skill Level 1 rocket with laser cut wood fins.
You can use a wide variety of Estes standard engines to launch this rocket. A brightly colored parachute makes tracking a simple task. No doubt about it, this little star will shine brightly in every classroom and at every launch field."

"Skill Level 1

Length: 14.4 in. (36.5 cm)
Diameter: .98 in. (25 mm)
Estimated Weight: 1.3 oz. (36.8 g)

Laser Cut Wood Fins, Waterslide Decals, 12 in. (30.5 cm) Parachute

Recommended Engines: A8-3 (First Flight), B6-4, C6-5, C6-7

Projected Max Altitude: 1150 ft. (351 m) "

001949 - Viking™

"Skill Level 1
The Estes Viking is one fantastic research rocket with 48 possible different fin configurations! This kit gives you five special die cut card stock fins that allow you to create a rocket that's a truly unique rocket of your own design! Take your pick on how you want your rocket to look; fins up, fins down or fins whatever way. You call it, it's your day to be the rocket designer! Customize your own rocket...no matter how you place the fins, it still offers the ultimate in high performance model rocket flight!
The Viking stands just over 12 inches tall. When flown on standard engines, the Viking is able to reach amazing launch heights over 1600 feet and land safely with its bright orange streamer. The versatile Viking can be built in an afternoon. It's a great high altitude rocket for beginners, class projects, clubs and rocket demonstrations.

Skill Level 1
Length: 12.1 in. (30.7 cm)
Diameter: .74 in. (19 mm)
Estimated Weight: .6 oz. (17 g)

Card Stock Fins, Self-stick Decals, Streamer Recovery

Recommended Engines: 1/2A6-2, A8-3 (first launch), A8-5, B4-4, B6-4, B6-6, C6-5, C6-7

Projected Max Altitude: 1600 ft. (488 m)"

Es_11354048._estes-comet-chaser-model-rocket-kit.jpg
001949_main_2_2.png

Any information on these 2 rockets that you could give would be greatly appreciated!! which is better??

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Viking's a classic, hard to go wrong there. You get to do the basics, including cutting your own fins.

Suggest you start with the smallest recommended motor once you get landowner permission, or better yet find a club launch.

Good luck, and have fun!

Comet Chaser looks like an awesome builders kit! Take this one from start to finish and you got rocket skills!

Right well so far that's a 50/50 lets see what tomorrow brings, to be honest they both look great i am actually excited to order

As cheap as they are , I would opt for purchasing MANY rockets, you will want to build more after the first launch! Just ask everyone here how many kits they have that are waiting in the build pile!
Welcome to the forum
Seriously though if your an RC guy, many of these builds are pretty simple and will go quick.

I launched for 2 years before I found TRF and went to my first club launch and that day changed everything, I never even knew MPR and HPR existed.

Last edited:
I'll vote for the Comet Chaser, the edge going to the larger rocket. Easier to see in the air and on the ground. Picking up a moving rocket in the air is a learned skill and once it lands they can be surprisingly hard to spot in the weeds. The larger diameter airframe of the Chaser allows more room for the recovery device. The business end has a motor mount tube and hook for positive motor retention so that the ejection charge deploys the parachute rather spitting the motor out. The Viking is a nice model and a real hot rod but I've seen a fair share of one and done flights with it. Neck snapping liftoffs and "where'd it go" recoveries. Motor retention is friction fit with tape around the motor which is another learned skill you might want to forego on your first rocket. Welcome to the party, hope that helps.

The Viking I built some years back had die cut card stock fins. First flight, the fins started to delaminate. Crazy glue will fix that if they are still card stock.
With your building skills, I would suggest a skill level 2 kit like "THIS" one, or the "THIS" popular one. "THIS" one is one of my favorites, "THIS" one is too. And "THIS" one is a dandy. No need to start with a tube, fins & a nose cone.

If you want to go high, then go bigger. Smaller rockets will disappear.

That said, unless you are planning to build a dozen, it seems like the Comet Chaser is off the table. It seems to be available only in the bulk pack.

If you have ever built old school r/c planes, rockets will be an easy build with a slightly different skill set. I find THIS to be a fun build and a forgiving yet versitile flyer. I have flown it on motors from B up to a composite D21 and it is a regular at when ever I get a chance to launch.

You may want to look for a starter's set so you get a launch pad and controller with your rocket.

Right i am going to have to get both i have been watching YouTube videos and you are all right they are both awesome... I'm ordering both tonight i will place pics of the build and the first flight on here once i get them thanks for you help everyone

If I was starting over I would recommend a 12 pack of Vikings. Build 2-3 with different fin sets. Then build a couple with 13mm motor mounts. You can make your parts or buy them. (My preferred parts suppliers are BMS (Balsa Machining Service) and Jon Rockets.) Get a balsa sheet or some cardboard and cut some fins that you think look cool.

There are lots of plans here for launch pads and controllers from very cheap to Holy Cow!

Whatever you do, have fun!

I've always like the look of the Viking but never built one. I wouldn't buy them in bulk packs just to have a dozen rockets of the same diameter and same nose cone with different fins. One or two Vikings maybe. While you're shopping, consider the Estes PSII kits while they are on sale, if they still are. It won't be long before you will be wanting to build one and it will be too late, the sale will be over or they will be out of production. Same with the Big Daddy. Awesome flier, even in windy conditions and easily one of my favorite rockets. It has through the wall fins and to me that is easier than surface mount cardstock. I think I heard it is being discontinued, but not sure, get one while you got the chance.

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and building/launching rockets so i am going to need as much information as possible from everyone on here :wink: I have loved the idea of rockets for many many years from watching space movies through out my life to the old launch to the moon and mars etc,
I advice on what to buy can not give you, actually it depends on how much money you have, as will be ready model that only assemble you can buy and largest not necessarily start with a small rocket. If you follow the instructions and at least average intelligence should not have any trouble.However, if you want to do everything yourself is preparing for many experiments and a lot of reading, be ready to spend a lot of time and in no case do not give up at the first failure :)

Last edited:
Something no one has suggested yet, if you are going to order online, and spend $100 or more at a time, "AC Supply" is the place to get great deals.
Also, if you go to the "Water Hole" forum, at the top there is some Sticky Threads at the top that list most of the manufactures where you can buy anything you can imagine.
You can spend most of the day if you explore each and every site listed there. Took me an afternoon alone to go threw them all and bookmark them when I get my new computer.
From personal experience, if you order body tubes for scratch builds, Tubes from Sunward have very small seams lines to fill if build that way.

I would invite you to check us out at FlisKits, specifically the dooDad or Thing-a-am-Jig as a good first rocket. Or check out all of our beginner kits (there are about 7).

From our main page click on
PRODUCTS
KITS BY SKILL LEVEL
SKILL LEVEL 1

Enjoy :)

I didn't even think about FlisKits! Jim has something that will suit for sure. I haven't built them, but the Thingamajig and the Whatchamacallit both look like they come as close to shake the bag and a rocket falls out, yet I still think of them as builder's kits.

The only FlisKits I have are the Deuce's Wild and the Tres. Hopefully, I will get back to the Deuce soon (my first cluster). The only reason that the build stalled is my goof, it has been a joy to build and the canted mount is beautifully engineered. Based on this experience, I would not hesitate to recommend one of Jim's kits, especially if you are tempted to start with a design that is a bit more of a builder's kit. Just build and launch a few before you go for the clusters, otherwise, I highly recommend them!

Back