What to fillet fins with?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich56

Reaction score
trying to get a nice seam between the plastic fuselage and balsa fins on my Honest John. Did about 4 coats in the corner with Titebond II and could use more for a good fillet. Is there a better alternative?

As far as wood glues go,
TITEBOND NO-RUN, NO-DRIP WOOD GLUE

Yup, doubt you're gonna end up with any kind of reasonable bond with wood glue to plastic. Epoxy's about the only thing I know of that would work for fillets..

30 min Z-Poxy, dip fingertip in 91% isopropyl alcohol, and smooth out the bead, and let cure. Do two joints at a time with the rocket laying on it's side. Comes out really nice.

Yup, doubt you're gonna end up with any kind of reasonable bond with wood glue to plastic. Epoxy's about the only thing I know of that would work for fillets..
Really happy with my results using J&B Weld KwikWood epoxy putty. Made fin/body fillets between wood fins and plastic tailcone on my Estes V2.

Attachments

• 1CB5A620-0126-4EE3-8EA6-E68619D57C8D.jpeg
    1CB5A620-0126-4EE3-8EA6-E68619D57C8D.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 148
  • C0B4C122-4B4D-4637-8683-561D7E853BCD.jpeg
    C0B4C122-4B4D-4637-8683-561D7E853BCD.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 132
Fins were glued with super glue first, then four coats of tite bond II. I’ll try the epoxy/isopropyl/finger shmear last coat for the filets. Thanks

30 min Z-Poxy, dip fingertip in 91% isopropyl alcohol, and smooth out the bead, and let cure. Do two joints at a time with the rocket laying on it's side. Comes out really nice.

Lazy/non-OCD person's version of that:

Any epoxy over 5 minute you're comfortable with or have on hand, (never, ever, ever use your bare finger to touch epoxy. I'm not a Safety Sally, but that stuff builds up. You might be fine now, but eventually you'll develop a sensitivity.)

Use a GLOVED finger, or pvc pipe, or popsicle stick, or whatever you have on hand with a radius you find pleasing to pull the fillets. Dip the object with the pleasing radius into whatever alcohol you have on hand before pulling the fillets to get a cleaner pull and aid in clean up. "91% isopropyl" isn't a requirement unless you want it to be. Just don't use the beverage you're currently consuming from and you'll be fine. Tape off the edges for slop.

Curious, what do people think about a clear silicone caulk as a fillet material?

If I ever finish my night-launch rocket, it's also meant to look nice during the day, and has stained wood fins and a painted airframe (cardboard, it's a Mini-Magg kit). So I'd like the wood and airframe to meet without a visible fillet. Was thinking about clear silicone, but not sure whether that's a good idea or not.

Curious, what do people think about a clear silicone caulk as a fillet material?

If I ever finish my night-launch rocket, it's also meant to look nice during the day, and has stained wood fins and a painted airframe (cardboard, it's a Mini-Magg kit). So I'd like the wood and airframe to meet without a visible fillet. Was thinking about clear silicone, but not sure whether that's a good idea or not.
Aside from the fact that I despise silicone, be it caulk or gasket maker/dressing, "clear" silicone is never even close to clear. If you want caulk that is truly clear and actually bonds to almost anything look for a product called Lexel.

Back