What to do with un-fired Aerotech RMS motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So yesterday based on the weather forecast I registered for the Tripoli North Texas "Texas Shootout". In preparation, I assembled the 29mm H and 54mm J motors that I had planned to use today. So I drove the 4 hours to the launch site only to be met with rain....typical Texas weather lol. Thought about waiting it out, but looking at the radar it looked like it was going to get REALLY bad over the next couple of hours. So, since it looked like a rain-out, I unfortunately headed back home (But I got my t-shirt lol)

So now I have un-fired RMS motors. Obviously I can't store them for the next launch, but can they be dissembled and re-used (with maybe new o-rings? What are my options here?

That’s great to know that they CAN be stored successfully!! I have a vacuum sealer and oxygen eaters, would that be a suitable storage solution?

I wouldn't even bother with that. Just toss it in a plastic bag, and make sure to label it.

I just tape the ends with green painters tape and stick them in a plastic bag, if they are small enough. Heck, I grain bond (to the liners) pretty much all my motors as soon as I get them and just tape the ends of the liners with green tape and some plastic wrap. I have stored them that way for years with no issues.

I've read that you can unscrew the closures slightly to ease the pressure on the o-rings a little bit, then tighten them back up when you get ready to launch. This makes sense but I don't know if it is necessary.

I left some 38/720s loaded for literally 20 years with the closures fully tightened. They worked perfectly!

I've read that you can unscrew the closures slightly to ease the pressure on the o-rings a little bit, then tighten them back up when you get ready to launch. This makes sense but I don't know if it is necessary.
How do I ease the pressure on o-rings in single use motors? 🧐
O-rings don’t require pressure relief. It’s a good thing too because we are surrounded by machines of all kinds that have o-rings.

How do I ease the pressure on o-rings in single use motors? 🧐
O-rings don’t require pressure relief. It’s a good thing too because we are surrounded by machines of all kinds that have o-rings.
To relieve the pressure on the o-rings in a SU motor, you must first increase the pressure by firing them, after firing the pressure will be relieved 😊

Back