What to do with so many rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's most always a take it-fly it kind of event for youth at NARAM. If you know anybody that's going, just box them up and send them as a donation.

And I have a few more than 190 hanging from my garage ceiling and in a storage unit. I build way more that I fly.
Wow, no wonder you're BMS' best customer!
If you really want to get eyeballs popping, then what you do is you put my name and address (using my Chinese alias (written in Chinese)) on it.

龍吉
中国, 山东, 烟台, 芝福渠,
南大街, 261, 振怀浪帆 4, 阿斯顿英语, 264000
Be sure to peel the labels off the motor too.

Maybe try 13-mm mini motor downscale clones instead of full size kits. Or get into MMX power sized rockets.

Maximum fun in a minimum space.

Or get a TARDIS to store your collection! :)

Maybe try 13-mm mini motor downscale clones instead of full size kits. Or get into MMX power sized rockets.

Maximum fun in a minimum space.

Or get a TARDIS to store your collection! :)
There's a reason why most of my builds are BT-20 sized...

I still need to figure out a reasonably simple and affordable way to create my own decals, though. That's the biggest reason why I don't do more clones.

I've been thinking of just bringing a box to a launch with the ones I'm no longer interested in, or that need a little TLC with a sign "free to good home"

2 or three have Aeropack retainers on them and that may be worth picking them up, even if the rest is tossed.

Maybe I should strip them of the good stuff and build something else with the remains.

I've built a few shelves and that has done pretty well, but my large fiberglass stuff is a little big for that.

Launch a bunch in an area surrounded by trees. Gone in no time! 😆
Building on this ... one could design a kids' camp:

1. Have kids build rockets.
2. Make kids lauch rocket in woods.
3. Send kids on quest to find rockets in woods using scouting techniques.

Unless I dunno, is the idea of launching propellants in the woods a fire hazard? Like if the rocket goes sideways and the ejection charge goes off below the treeline? M'eh. That's all I got today. Be careful out there, the world is on fire.

My rocket building has slowed down big time, largely because I have no room for them. I have become a ROTRFO: a Rocketeer On TRF Only. 😆

I have that in my LOFT in the work shed in the back yard ; half are now "needing repair" when I get around Two-It. That's not going to happen some I am striping them of the good parts and junking the tubes that are broke.

Then you have not tried
I don't need to try to know what's involved. It takes special software and messing with printer settings to maybe get it to partially work. Then there's the issue of getting white decals.

Again, not saying it can't be done, but it's a whole process that takes time to learn and get right.

Rocket storage can be a big issue. Built rockets are much bigger than their individual components.
I know my wife says I'm not allowed anymore space so I've had to work out how to more densely pack them (and find a few places to stash some out of sight)
I ran out of closet space at home for built rockets, so I store my 4" diameter North Coast ASP in my office at the University. A 7-foot long, brightly colored rocket turns out to be a great conversation starter for passers-by. All the more now that I have a picture of it in flight hanging next to the bird!

I'd take them off your hands. One of the aspects of this hobby that I enjoy is taking older rockets, restoring them and making them fly again. Check out some of my rebuild/restoration posts. When / If the time comes to part with them, hit me up. I'll make sure they go on to live and fly again.

I'd take them off your hands. One of the aspects of this hobby that I enjoy is taking older rockets, restoring them and making them fly again. Check out some of my rebuild/restoration posts. When / If the time comes to part with them, hit me up. I'll make sure they go on to live and fly again.
I'll keep you in mind!

Rocket storage can be a big issue. Built rockets are much bigger than their individual components.
I know my wife says I'm not allowed anymore space so I've had to work out how to more densely pack them (and find a few places to stash some out of sight)
My wife started building rockets about a year ago and now has more than me!!! She has about 25 and I have about 20. The first picture is when she had fewer rockets (the two Saturns are mine.) The second picture are mine. We each have more since these were taken and are trying to find more space to store them. Some of these have never been launched. Maybe at NSL West this year!

Attachments

• Patrices - PXL_20221116_214633711.jpg
    Patrices - PXL_20221116_214633711.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220101_032119428.jpg
    PXL_20220101_032119428.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I’m in the same boat with so many collected but don’t want to get rid of anything. I did that once only to find out it’s hard to replace it today or pay extreme money to buy it back

I haven't yet, but I am going to put cross pieces on the rafters in the "garage" and put the rockets up in the rafters. I tried putting up strings a couple years ago, but 6 months in the sun caused them to fail.

"garage" = 3 walls & roof but no doors so everything is open to indirect sunlight.

If I knew of local organizations that wanted my rockets, I'd gladly let them have a few.
.I am a member of Central Ohio Spacemodeling and Rocketry Alliance based in Columbus Ohio. At our monthly launches we routinely give away build and unbuilt rockets to kids to try and get them to launch and build rockets. GIve them to us we will do much good with them

My friend runs the ROC Donate/TakeIt box. I give a few every few months.

At our monthly launches we routinely give away build and unbuilt rockets to kids to try and get them to launch and build rockets. GIve them to us we will do much good with them
YES!
Depending on your local club... My kiddos and my wife started with "donation rockets", now more than half of my son's collection is rockets "given" to him and my daughter has 4-5 kits we purchased from their "stash sale" this month and we can't wait for the next one.

Now we have to figure out how to store all of OUR rockets!

Maybe take photos of some of the ones you're not too embarrassed about and list them here for sale? I purchased a few built, half-built, flown and other "used" rockets from other members here. A little sanding, here and there, some surplus replacement parts, paint and maybe even stickeshock vinyl and they could be resurrected. 👍

Back