What to do with CYA?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjbatglen

Reaction score
I was trying to take off the top off my medium CYA tube when it snapped off at the base of the tip. The tip is inside the cap and there is about 1 oz. left in the bottle.

Is there some thing that I could do to save the rest. What contain could I transfer it too.

Thanks.

if you have some waxpaper handy,,, cut a small piece out and fold it over the remaining spout with a rubber band

I have had the same problem more than once
heres a couple tips I've learned since than,

the glue in the tip will likely become contaminated by physically touching the tip ,to the part you are glueing,,try to keep the bottle tip off of the part (not easy sometimes)

also make sure to wipe any excess off before recapping
also ocasionally wipe the cap out with a paper towel If necessary

If you are glueing a piece that only requires a few drops or less
.squirt a small amount out onto something suitable ,than apply the glue with a toothpick ,balsa scrap ,whatevers handy,ect...

the best place to store cya is in the fridge(ice box).It will keep much longer ,(yet still evaporate over time)

Here is what I do:

When finished with the CYA tap the bottom of the bottle on a hard surface. This will drive what is left in the tip back into the bottle. Give the bottle sides a slight squeeze or two to make sure the tip is clear. Wipe the top of the nozzle off and put the lid back on. This is what I do and it works great.

the best place to store cya is in the fridge(ice box).

Ice Box!...Ice Box???

So...styme, how often does the "iceman" deliver ice to your house to fill up your "ice box"?

What are you 97 years old? LOL

ROTFL

sandman

Icebox...... thats what Emeril calls it... heh

Emeril also seems to have Turrets (sp?) Syndrome. He can't stop yelling <b>BAM!</b>

Peace :cool:

Mike

pjbatglen,

Icebox not withstanding... :p

After protecting the glue in the bottle, head on out to your hobby shop. Many carry extra tops, caps and the like for just this reason.

jim

PJ: I don't want to come off sound like a wise guy here but heres a little CA knowledge I picked up for the makers of Zap CA.

I must disagree with Stymye here on the keeping your CA in the referigerator.. That is the single worst place to keep an open container of CA. CA cures by contact with mosture in the Air. the best way to preserve your CA is to keep it in as Air free an environment as you can. I use Zap CA, usually in the 4oz bottle both Thin and Med. thickness. These cost me about 21.00 ea so after loosing one or two you learn real quick what is going on. Zap recommended keeping the bottles capped after use by gently squeezing out as much air as possible, (NOT an in and out motion remember its the air that caused the problem) Cap the bottle than place in a zip lock bag rolled tightly and sealed. I usually use Quart size bags with the 4oz bottle I'm sure the smaller bottles will fit in the Snack size zip locks. Not the ones with the slide thing it must seal tight. if you put a hole in the bag, get a new one.
Since i've started using this process I haven't lost a bottle of CA and my thin CA stays thin of up to a year:)
Hope this helps a little.

P.S. I left this alone as long as I can.. I really expected sandman or Jim to say something. I'm not sure how many of you are firmilar with the term CYA but in this neck of the woods is has a very different meaning then Cyanoacrylate easter adhesive... it's a more common term meaning "Cover Your A--" LOL :D

The best bottle around the house you might find to transfer the CYA to is an old glass nail polish bottle (clean it out with some lacquer thinner). You will probably have to pour the CYA out of the broken plastic bottle so be careful not to get the CYA on your hands or any where else important! You could also try plugging the plastic bottle with parafin wax from a candle.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Originally posted by Micromister

P.S. I left this alone as long as I can.. I really expected sandman or Jim to say something. I'm not sure how many of you are firmilar with the term CYA but in this neck of the woods is has a very different meaning then Cyanoacrylate easter adhesive... it's a more common term meaning "Cover Your A--" LOL :D [/B]

I must admit, when I was starting this thread I did snicker while I was typing the first post. ;)

I have begun to store the bottles in my fridge but I will have to give it a second thought since Micromister chimed in about the baggies. I will head off to the shop and buy some extra nozzles and caps.
I do remember seeing them on the shelf next to the bottles when I bought my last bottle. I remember thinking Why would anyone want to buy these things separately???:confused: I should keep an open mind.

Thanks

Back