What to do about Performance Rocketry (Curtis Turner)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knarfster

Reaction score
I ordered a Competitior 5 kit from Curtis for my Level 3 rocket. I didn't need fins, just the nose cone and rings etc. he said he had a scrat and dent tube he could give me cheap with the nose cone and 75 mm centering rings and BH's. So i paid over $200 back in May of 2009, and no rocket. he even sent me a shipment tracking number months later that turned out to be bogus.

Any Suggestions?

P.S. If you use Paypal, make sure to file the dispute claim before the 45 days is up!

Frank Steele
L2
SSS (Supertition Spacemodeling Society) NAR/TRA
AHPRA (Arizona High Power Rocketry Association) TRA

Depending on how you paid, you may have some recourse there. If done via credit card, it's at least worth filing a complaint.

Your local Postmaster may provide you some options, as well.

I know it's too late to help you, but never order directly from Curtis -- always buy through a reputable dealer, and you'll avoid this particular problem.

-Kevin

Just keep bugging him. He will eventually get it to you. He is not a crook, he is just extremely slow and doesn't understand customer support. It took 6 months, but I finally got my Performance54 from him a few years back. I love the rocket.

Just keep bugging him. He will eventually get it to you. He is not a crook, he is just extremely slow and doesn't understand customer support. It took 6 months, but I finally got my Performance54 from him a few years back. I love the rocket.

Thats partly true. I saw him at Red Glare and he delievered an 11.5" Wac Corporal with booster.

Ben

Is that not fraud ?I spend thousands of $ on rocketry ,and use many vendors on these sites.
This dude ain`t gonna be one of them !Not the first I`ve heard about bad things about this vendor.

P

I really hate hearing this again and again. I have ordered from Curtis in the past and I never had a problem. Everything was delivered within a reasonable amount of time.

Then I keep reading these posts, and I really hate to hear it.

I guess the best bet is follow as others say, never order from Curtis directly.

Buy form Liberty Launch Systems, it's Performance Rocketry stuff and they will not hold your order.

Unfortunately i am too trusting. You only have 45 days to put a stop (file a dispute) on a PayPal payment.

Live and learn.

I will keep calling, but his voice mailbox is FULL.

Did you have PayPal pull the money from your bank account? Or did you have them charge it to your credit card? I ask because your credit card company may help even though the money got funneled through PayPal.

Curtis makes some of the finest stuff around period.

BUT

I was promised a full scale AMRAAM many years ago, paid up front to show I was 100% serious, after waiting almost a year, and after many times demanding the return of my money, it never happened, he owed Ken Allen money so Ken gave me supplies to build my Harpoon, and took that off Curtis' bill,, or something like that, anyway, I got my money back in a round about way. If you can get a Performance Rocketry kit that someone has in stock,, go for it, you can't go wrong. DON'T send money directly to Curtis,, who knows how long it will take to get your kit.

I own quite a few Performance Rocketry kits, and love them.

Tom

So i paid over $200 back in May of 2009, and no rocket. he even sent me a shipment tracking number months later that turned out to be bogus.

Any Suggestions?

Hmm . . .

9 years later, I say get a large group of ripped-off rocketeers, contact the State Attorney in Curtis Turner's home state and file criminal charges of Fraud, Grand Theft, and if the "ex-wife" is still involved, Conspiracy charges as "leverage" on Curtis ( other charges may apply, since this crosses state lines, maybe Federal ) . . . Pay up or be locked up, Curtis !

Dave F.

Hire a group of racially diversive businessmen/people. You'll keep everyone happy that way..With maybe the exclusion of Curtis..

So why has this post started again? You know as well as I do what your going to spend for legal action will be way more than your owed. 9 years later and this is posted again.

So why has this post started again? You know as well as I do what your going to spend for legal action will be way more than your owed. 9 years later and this is posted again.

Mostly because it’s rocket Black Friday again. Which sets the stage for the March “where is my stuff” whining.

The Government has way bigger fish to f
Because as stated earlier, he's still doing business as usual and knows there's no entity that'll waste time/effort coming after him. The new guys/gals need to know this..

Last edited:
I don't think you can buy direct from Curtis. So only purchase what a vendor has in stock. Or make sure you don't pay for items unless product is shipped. Ken should have never run cards untill product was shipped. So he must take the blame for this mess.

I don't think you can buy direct from Curtis. So only purchase what a vendor has in stock. Or make sure you don't pay for items unless product is shipped. Ken should have never run cards until product was shipped. So he must take the blame for this mess.

I suspect that Curtis gets all his money "up front", which leaves Ken "hung out to dry", when Curtis takes the money and uses it for other things.

Dave F.

Back