What the heck is a BOAT doing here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Sorry Milo. If ya wanna pull this thread go ahead...

A couple of the guys in the chat wanted to see what was holding up the launch of my Military Orbital Transport and Carl's nose cone.

This is it...maybe it should be in the "Scratch Built" section. This was built from blueprints.

sandman

I spent the last two days finishing up the rigging on this thing. The sails, ropes and things.

I have been working on this boat on and off for the last 11 years...I wanted to finish it.

I won't post any more pics of this thing.

One more shot of the bow detail.

sandman,

It doesn't bother me. After all here is the description of the Coffee House forum:

Discussion of off-topic areas. This can be anything that is rockets and does not fit well into other forums and anything that is not rockets.

Seems that discussions of boats fit right in to that. :D

I agree, that's what the forum is for, as long as the material is not offensive. Thanks for the post!

Sandman, didn't you say there was an option for a JACO (Jet Assisted Cast Off, kinda like an airplane JATO)? :D

Since this boat was built to reflect an "old" style theme, all the lines and rigging is hemp rope.

After today I don't think I can get past a drug sniffing dog...my hands smell like HEMP!!

sandman

Uh-huh. I can see it now:

"Err...no, Mr. DEA agent...it's from the rope."

"Oh, *ROPE*...is that what you kids are calling it these days?"

"but..but...the lines..."

"Oh, 'lines' too? Sir, I'm pretty sure you need to come with me now."

;)

Beautiful work, really!

That is something i've always wanted to do, build a boat. I have my eye on a couple of canoe designs (the peterboro is my fav) and would love to build one from a kit, get the experience then design one of my own...

...my first retirement project, i'm sure *S*

on the subject of building boats, I partake in a strange ritual every year in NH to raise money for our local libary... The event is cardboard boat building. You build a full size boat out of courgated cardboard and paddle it around a 200 meter course. It's a hoot!

Check out the cardboard canoe i built a few years ago at:
https://jflis.com/leisure/canoeing/cardboard.htm

You've done a beautiful job, you should be proud, not only of the work you did, but the tenacity to stick with it for so long!

Jim,

I built this about 7 years ago. I even hand caned the seats.

It is an old Peterboro design called the Hiawatha.

It's cedar strip and covered with two layers of 16oz. fiberglass (the same stuff I used on Carl's nose cone) and epoxy.

I even made an outrigger to match with the left over cedar strips so i could take it out on Lake Huron.

sandman

Sandman,

That is truly amazing work. I am humbled by your skill! Granted, I'm sure over a lengthy amount of time some of us have potential to craft such nice creations, but I truly doubt most will never match your seasoned experience.

I can see you building a launch platform off the front or rear of one of these boats. :D

wonderful, simply wonderful :)

I just love seeing true art (and your boat *is*), that and a love of water craft and the sea...

Back