What telescope do you own?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who is lucky enough to have observed through more than one large telescope I can tell you, magnification has its place! I love galaxy clusters. And the DIMMER the better! I love challenges!

When under dark skies I let all the fan boyz around me do the same old Messier merry-go-round. Year after year... ho humm...

I head for the charts of Alvin Huey's faintfuzzies.com PDFs. Once the field of view of those babies is in the center... mo mag please!!! On a good night is not unusual to head north of 500x on the UC. Now I don't have a set of Zeiss orthoscopics ($3500!) or TMB Monocentrics (likewise) like my large scope brethren, but I make do. When they are going deep, really deep, motto is: "less glass and mo' mag"! That is their battle cry. I use in the UC (the scope is crap but the optics are great!) Baader or Takahashi Orthos. I have a few of each. Lately I got me a 5mm 110mm Lunt. While there is a lot of glass in there, the generous FOV keeps objects in there longer. So do not discount mo mag! For deep sky use!

YMMV.
Clear skies!

Eyepieces go from scope to scope. Always a good investment. I have a full set of 100* ES eyepieces. At the time I bought them they were 80% (or less) the price of the TV ethos and 95% the performance. That said, I still kept the 31mm and 12mm Naglers. And the TV Powermates and Barlows.
I Wish I could afford a TV Ethos or Nagler or Delite. Ive got the basic TV 11mm with a TV x2 barlow. I get some nice views of Saturns rings though.

I Wish I could afford a TV Ethos or Nagler or Delite. Ive got the basic TV 11mm with a TV x2 barlow. I get some nice views of Saturns rings though.
Don't wish. Just enjoy. That 11mm if TV is a great good quality EP. And the barlow! I've got 1.8x, and 2.5x TV barlows. They are almost transparent. Just mo mag! Stop wishing you could 'afford' X/Y/Z. Be an American (or anyone else), and be grateful for what you have!

Im always grateful for what I have. Hard work, time, and patience makes those wishes come true.

Im always grateful for what I have. Hard work, time, and patience makes those wishes come true.
Yep. Finally we can be Americans and PROUD. I am fortunate that for whatever reason I decided in the 1980's to learn to code. No college education. No breaks. Took forever to get anyone to see me as an engineer. But when they did, I realized that intelligence and perseverance are what any solid human is about. Same with 'what you have'! Don't cheat. Work! And be happy. And BTW: everything you have for astronomy, unless the worse piece of crap, is STILL better than all of the 17th century scopes!

Be well! Clear skies! I love Biden and Harris!

Back