What sort of Rocketeer are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What sort of rocketeer are you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tokind

Wizard Pretender
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I´ve spent a lot of time thinking about this. I am person number 3. This is why I am so passionate about launch controllers and pads. Honestly, there are several people in my section who have never noticed the new launch equipment or asked anything about it.

We are trying to appeal to rocketeers who take care of the operation of a range, and welcome your suggestions on how we might do this.

Thanks — Thomas

Last edited:
You should have made your choices;

A I am a total SH** and just use what is provided and don't care about anyone
B I am not A

"...We are trying to appeal to a small segment of rocketeers who care about the operation of a range, and welcome your suggestions on how to do this..."

Um, guilting people turns people off

Last edited:

B I am not A

"...We are trying to appeal to a small segment of rocketeers who care about the operation of a range, and welcome your suggestions on how to do this..."

Excellent point Payload. I´ll see if I can sweeten that up a bit. Please understand that I have been flying rockets for over 20 years and with various groups. Perhaps I am a bit jaded, but we always have a great time.

Many TRFers don’t fly with clubs. FWIW I have been all of the above and none of the above at different stages of my life. Currently VP of a NAR section. A hobby is a fun time spare time activity. Do as you will.

It all depends on the launch. I'm always glad to share experience, tools, and supplies at any launch. Also...

For smaller club launches where one person has it all under control? A
For multi-day club launches where there's a call for volunteers? B
For our TARC team? C and D

"Picky" best describes me. Not too hot, not too cold,not too far away, not too big, not too small, not too high, not too low, not to complicated, not too simple and above all, not too perfect. I AM the Goldilocks of rocketry....
I will help out whenever I can. That how you get to be the Raffle King.

Last edited:
Not quite sure how to react to this one with some of the early responses, but I'll give it the "old college try."

I find myself mostly doing 2, 3, and 4, though not much in the way of donating kits these days. My grands usually clean me out nowadays before I ever get to a launch.

And I too am VERY passionate about Ground Support and love to see a launch that's well supplied with good solid pads and a flexible launch system that can handle everything from 1/4 A's up close to P motors out at 2500 feet. It is a hoot to say the least.

Brad

I´ve spent a lot of time thinking about this. I am person number 3. This is why I am so passionate about launch controllers and pads. Honestly, there are several people in my section who have never noticed the new launch equipment or asked anything about it.

We are trying to appeal to rocketeers who take care of the operation of a range, and welcome your suggestions on how we might do this.

Thanks — Thomas
With out those that unpack/setup/organize/pickup/pack up what sense does it make to even invite others to come fly? LSO/RSO and organizers I thank you!

I fall into groups 1 and 4 mostly, but help the take down and pack up as well - seldom get to the range early enough to setup.
Oh and I forgot a shout out to the range cooks - range food always helps!

B I am not A

Wow, Harsh….
I think most people show up to fly rockets….and not to do the setup. Years ago our club gave away free flight cards if you arrived to setup and tear down. Otherwise, unless you make it mandatory for your group (good luck with that) folks will do what interests them….that is what the club dues are for and the entitlement to fly. :)

For me, mixed....
I only attend 2~3 launches a year. Typically a major event plus one or two others.
I admit for the one or two "others" I tend to concentrate on launching, although I will help someone if I see a need. Plus I frequently do help with the tear down and put away.
The major launch I try to do a volunteer shift each day.

I also support a local organization that holds a rocketfest where people get to build and fly a rocket. I put up a display of some of my rockets and help solve build/flight issues. I never get to fly anything at that event.

And I have supported 4H and scout groups for their rocket projects.

I believe I am all four.

When I go to other people's launches, I usually just fly my rockets and don't help out all that much. I have a couple of two-stage flights set for AirFest and a Q to O project for Balls, and there's just not much extra time. I'm sure Bob Brown thinks I'm a lazy SOB, but in my defense, I am the VP for our local club. In that capacity, I am responsible for all flight operations. That means I get to maintain all of the equipment, do setup and tear down (with lots of help) and serve as the launch director. I may have missed one or two of our monthly launches over the last decade.

I'm not quite sure what coaching is, but I write articles, do NARCON presentations, participate in TARC, SLI, and IREC, review Class 3 projects, mentor some of the local college clubs, and I'm a TAP. People say, "Jim, remember the rocket I flew back in blah,blah?" I say, sure, you bet!, and just cross my fingers.

Jim

I have offered to help our club in anyway they need. But the core group takes care of everything. I have helped with set up and tear down. I've also mentored a couple of people new to high power with the construction of their rockets. I show up for every launch.

I think the original question is too broad and the responses here reflect that.

There is a vast gamut of difference between flying some LPRs at your local park and attending an LDRS or BALLS level event.

If you refine the question down to "What is the best way to get people more involved with our local monthly club launch and to incentivize them to help out a bit more?" you may get some constructive feedback.

I think METRA in the NNJ/NY area is a good example. The incentives I have seen work at that relatively small club are things like appealing to everyone's desire to get rockets in the air - the more people that help out, the less time setup takes and the more time we have to launch rockets. Likewise, the simple ask of - "can you please stick around to help tear down?" works well when there is a small group of people.

More than that, though, the comradery I have built with other members during tear down and setup is invaluable to me. When I first joined, people were friendly and helpful, but once they saw I was willing to get there early and leave late in order to help out with duties, I found a perceptible increase in the amount of constructive advice and just great conversation. In short, it really helped to make friends there, which made me want to help out more.

I can't be there for every launch, but when I do show up, it has really made me want to be a part of the group. The more ways you can find to make people feel included and part of the family, the more they will want to assist.

Kind of "none of the above". My local launches are 4 hrs away and very small re attendance. When I get there it's a 20 minute setup and tear down which I help with when I manage to make the launch. Going to arrive at LDRS a day ahead of time to help set up, volunteering two days for two shifts a day as whatever and leaving a day late to help clean up. Thinking about getting involved with the local school about a rocketry program, frankly don't know if I have the patience.
Edit. Had the opportunity to ride around with Bob in a side by side at LDRS in Argonia helping out a bit. That was a great experience.

Depending on context, I can be any of the four choices (and the poll will only let me pick two). For my own club, I am number 3. For other clubs in the state I am generally number 1. On occasion, including at NSL this year, I was a bit of number 2 (one RSO shift, one LCO shift). And between TARC and support at the Museum of Flight, I am often number 4 as well, and this extends to flying on my own at the one park in the area that explicitly allows rockets.

no club, and rarely launch. i love the artistry, design and building more than the launch, and far more than losing my projects in trees. not saying i don't love to see them lit up, but i'm not risking my cool stuff unless i'm sure i'm getting it back.

Since I only get to fly with a club a couple times a year, I generally just show up and fly.
The clubs require L2 for RSO, LCO duties, so until I can get certified, my options are limited.
As a general rule, I try to help with take down, though that might be changing. I just can't handle the Texas heat like I used to.

I didn't vote, because I guess I'm a bit of a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. . .

For my 'local' club (about 1/2 hour away), I would help with teardown on Saturday, set-up on Sunday and teardown on Sunday. I get there around noon and set-up on Saturday is 10:00, so i miss that. I also got my L2 so I could help at the RSO table. I could also LCO, but I don't really like that part and there is a club member who loves doing it, so he is the LCO about 70% of the time, with the occasional fill-in so he can prep his rockets. I ran the contest flying for 2 years, prior to having a job change that meant I wouldn't necessarily be reliable for showing up at launches. In fact, I think i only made 1 or 2 launches over the following 4 years. . .

Having said the above, I have only flown with my 'local' club 2 times in the last 4 years due to schedules, weather, COVID etc.

The 'away' club that I also maintain membership with is about 2-1/2 hours away. I have only helped with teardown once, as they usually fly pretty late (close to sundown) and to get home before too late, I have to leave by around 5:00 or so, as I don't have ideal eyesight for driving at night. Also at that club, I am not as well known and there are fliers with much more experience, so I don't help with RSO/LCO at all. When I fly there, I'm pretty much a 'just fly' guy, but I do give away kits, help if someone asks for help (within my skillset) and if a kid seems to like a rocket, they get it or one similar (LPR obviously). I would be fine with helping set-up/teardown and RSO/LCO if I was closer, but I only fly one day a weekend and drive 5 hours round trip, so I end up being selfish and not doing those things. I know other people do similar drives and fly both days, but thus far, I haven't done the hotel thing and end up doing a noon-5 schedule when I go.

Sandy.

I have to answer "yes". There have been more than one launch where the only two people there are me and the fine gentleman that gives me a ride. He's also the prefect, rangemaster, calls in NOTAMS and arrainges things with AHJ. I help set up pads and what prep work I can do.

Back