What screw-eye/bolt to fit an 3" LOC nosecone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to attach an shock cord to my new LOC 3.1" nosecone. There is an hole that looks like it is for inserting an screw-eye/screw bolt, but I am not sure what to use. The hole measures 1/4" in diameter, and obviously 1/4" bolts go into it, but don't thread (the hole is too big) but I need something bigger I can screw into it, preferably with an eye in it. I see the local store sells an 5/16" eye bolt, but am not sure that is the best choice for this.

What are you all using to attach to said nosecone?

You can cut two holes in it and pass the harness through them; LOC mentions that in their instructions and I think it's the simplest way. It's definitely the cheapest.

A 5/16" eyebolt will screw in, but you still want a nut on the other side because it's not terribly hard to strip the threads out. That requires you to cut a hole in the NC as well. If you need nose weight then it makes sense to go that way.

I cut a hole in the base of the nose cone, offset, big enough for a washer and nut. Install eye bolt into the center of the base and secure with washer and nut through the hole. Apply some epoxy inside and it is very secure.

As I bought the nosecone from LOC and it isn't part of a kit, there were no directions. :( Its a shame they don't mention on their website what to use in the provided attachment hole.

I'm going to be using #200 kevlar, and the rocket should weight around 23-25oz depending on the engine. I don't see a problem with putting 2 holes in it and running the kevlar through them, so long as the kevlar isn't likely to rip the nosecone material somehow. :)

Depending on the weight of the rocket. I use 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8 welded eye nut. I put a long enough threaded rod thru the hole in the base of the cone all the way to the tip of the cone. I drill a 3/8th hole offset from the middle. That hole allows me to add nose weight and epoxy once I determine how much I need after the rocket is built. So, epoxy and BB's in the nose cone and some JB Kwik Weld where the rod and bolt come out of the base of the cone. It is not a light way to do it though.

I’m a fan of the two holes method:

View attachment 516141

Where did you get the black cord? I haven't got anything like it here. I am really leery of just putting in 2 holes and running #200 kevlar through them. With my luck the kevlar would rip the nosecone material somehow, whereas something thicker probably wouldn't.

It's probably the 3/8" tubular nylon LOC uses in their kits. If you're tying knots in it, 200lb kevlar seems pretty light for a 1.5lb rocket. But I might just way over build.

I stumbled upon what looks to be some 1/4" bungee type material, so I am going to give it a try. Drilled 2 1/4" holes in the nosecone shoulder side, and double looped it on each end, and will attach the kevlar to those:

DSC02977.JPG

Where did you get the black cord? I haven't got anything like it here. I am really leery of just putting in 2 holes and running #200 kevlar through them. With my luck the kevlar would rip the nosecone material somehow, whereas something thicker probably wouldn't.

That’s 3/8” flat nylon on a 4” nose cone. 200lb Kevlar is pretty thin, but should be fine on lighter LPR. For MPR I use 250-1000lb Kevlar in the same manner and haven’t had an issue.

Back