What scifi movies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proflaser

Reaction score
What are some scifi movies or tv shows that depicted Earth in the future but without space travel? Nevermind films with the apocalyptic scenarios like "mad max" but have rather a static post modern 'brave new world' society?

I'd consider Logan's Run to be post-apocalyptic (remember the shots of DC with the monuments and Capital overgrown with vines).

Here's an obscure one: Questor Tapes

Also, I would personally consider Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea to be mildly SF

Another couple of contenders: Running Man, Robocop

Irobot.

Not sure how the movie portrayed it, but in Asimov's book, the world isn't post apocalyptic, just trapped in their giant cities because of their agoraphobia.

Nevermind. I think that there is spaceflight in that series if not in the original book. Spacecraft are probably like the airplanes that are described, no windows.

I'd consider Logan's Run to be post-apocalyptic (remember the shots of DC with the monuments and Capital overgrown with vines).

Here's an obscure one: Questor Tapes

Also, I would personally consider Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea to be mildly SF

Another couple of contenders: Running Man, Robocop

Robocop had SDI satellites (remember the news blurb about the accidental firing on a CA city that killed many retired POTUS's?).

Running man had satellites. Key plot point was hacking into the satellites.

The movie I cannot remember the title of had a distinctly 1930's/1940's style, but it was not set in our 1930's/1940's reality.

Ooooh, I've got one that I do not think had an apocalypse: Sleeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_(film)

"I Robot" (Will Smith)
"Minority Report" (Tom Cruise)
"Time Cop" (Jean-Claude Van Damme)
"Death Race 2000" (1976 Sylvester Stallone, David Carradine, Simone Griffith)
"Demolition Man" (Stallone, Sandra Bullock, Snipes, Dennis Leary)
"A. I. Artificial Intelligence" (Halley Joel Osment, Jude Law)
"Idiocracy"
"Virtuocity" (Denzel Washington & Russel Crowe)
"Back to the Future III"

I assume space travel is possible in some of these settings because there was no collapse of humanity and our technology, but the movie does not center around it.

A.I.

Wasn't bad but apparently some kind of apocalyps that appeared to be global warming took over NY.

"The movie I cannot remember the title of had a distinctly 1930's/1940's style, but it was not set in our 1930's/1940's reality."

I think you may mean "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

I liked that one.

Forgot "Quantum Leap". It was set in the future even though Scott Bacula spent all his time bouncing around in the past. There were a couple episodes in the last season that showed some activity in the lab and around town. Automatic Pilot for cars, voice-controlled everything, etc.

I don't really consider satelites and similar things to be space travel - besides, they are not really SF, but modern reality. I think the spirit of the op was space travel beyond the moon.

It really depends on your definition of "Space Travel" Are we talking about extra-solar travel with star drives, stargates, etc.? Or are we including anything at all involving space?

If you allow current technology, there is always "Marooned" and "Space Cowboys". Stretching to the other planets of the solar system, but not allowing extra-solar travel, you could include movies like "2001", "Silent Running", and "Capricorn One".

Personally, I think the best rule is allowing satelites, space shuttles and earth orbital travel ala NASA. Stuff like the Pan-Am Clipper of "2001" is a bit outside the realm of possibility, so consider that to be the definition of "Space Travel"

Just my 2 cents.

A.I.

Wasn't bad but apparently some kind of apocalyps that appeared to be global warming took over NY.

"The movie I cannot remember the title of had a distinctly 1930's/1940's style, but it was not set in our 1930's/1940's reality."

I think you may mean "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

I liked that one.

No, I linked to that one first. The one I'm thinking of was very dark.

And if we're listing Demolition Man, we need to list Judge Dredd;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd_(film)

I define "space Travel" as "Travel" in "Space".

If a rocket is built by humans and travels to space, that is space travel.

if we need a lawyer to define it for us, why not ask the original poster exactly what he meant?

I don't really consider satelites and similar things to be space travel - besides, they are not really SF, but modern reality. I think the spirit of the op was space travel beyond the moon.

It really depends on your definition of "Space Travel" Are we talking about extra-solar travel with star drives, stargates, etc.? Or are we including anything at all involving space?

If you allow current technology, there is always "Marooned" and "Space Cowboys". Stretching to the other planets of the solar system, but not allowing extra-solar travel, you could include movies like "2001", "Silent Running", and "Capricorn One".

Personally, I think the best rule is allowing satelites, space shuttles and earth orbital travel ala NASA. Stuff like the Pan-Am Clipper of "2001" is a bit outside the realm of possibility, so consider that to be the definition of "Space Travel"

Just my 2 cents.

A.I.

I was wondering about that one because it didn't really seem to play in the plot too much. Except for stupid things like the city "Man-hattan" where the humans live. I rolled my eyes a little bit on that one. Global warming really didn't wipe out most of humanity or send us back to the stone age... So that's a toss-up as to whether it meets the terms of the request.

N

And if we're listing Demolition Man, we need to list Judge Dredd;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd_(film)

I dunno;

"The Year is 2139. The Planet Earth has changed into a virtually uninhabitable place called the "Cursed Earth". All of the Earth's population have crowded into the cities across the planet, now known as "Mega Cities"."

That sounds apocalyptic to me, which is why I left it off. If that fits the bill, though, you can have credit for it. ;)

I suggest we go ask a model rocketry related question over on a movie discussion forum?

Maybe we need a poll on the subject? (but only if it's a very poorly worded poll where none of your desired responses are offered)

I refer you to item #7 in my post of 12:11 PM.

That one's mine.

I Robot belongs to John. I concede that one.

;)

What about Blade Runner or Johnny Mneumonic? I'm sure space flight existed in those worlds, but wasn't specifically a part of either film.

Almost busted out the Matrix series, but that's definitely post-apocalyptic.

Just watched the Gerry Anderson 1968 movie, Thunderbird 6 on HDNet this morning. It's just like the old series, but it's 90 minutes long. I couldn't believe HDNet aired it. :eyepop:

It had some nice explosions, better looking than in the few series episodes I've seen. Brains "built" a couple good looking models and smashed them. There was a nice looking missile with double combustion chambers and two strap-ons toward the end of the movie. Why do I always think about rockets when I watch a movie???

By 'no space travel' I meant 'no rockets' as to include no off world colonies, no orbital anything. Imagine humanity loses interest in leaving the atmosphere, where does it go? To lots of robots and computer controlled systems, according to the movies. My impressions are Rollerball, Soylent Green, and Idiocracy.

By 'no space travel' I meant 'no rockets' as to include no off world colonies, no orbital anything. Imagine humanity loses interest in leaving the atmosphere, where does it go? To lots of robots and computer controlled systems, according to the movies. My impressions are Rollerball, Soylent Green, and Idiocracy.

There you go...

Back