What scale kits do you like?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaar

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite scale kits were? Personally, I like the Phoenix.

I like the Nike Hercules but since there really isn't a kit out for it my answer would undoubtedly be Sandmans Little Joe II kit.

pheonix, hands down...

that and the thing labled "funky" in my siggy that i cant figure out what it is...

that and the thing labled "funky" in my siggy that i cant figure out what it is...

Looks like an Estes Python (OOP). I know one TRF member is looking for that kit.

Estes 1:70 saturn 1B, gemini and mercury were my all time favs. OH! And the WAC corporal.

others that I would love to see...
Mercury Redstone, any scale
Saturn 1B, any scale
Russian FROG (FROG-4 is my fav for some reason :) )
Thunderbird
Goddards First Rocket

I guess mine are the Estes Saturn V, Estes Saturn 1b, the ASP Super Loki Dart, and the ASP V-2.

AIM-120A and C versions of the AMRAAM, AGM-88A HARM, AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-65A and AGM-65D Maverick, AIM-7 Sparrow, AGM-54 Phoenix, AIM-9X Sidewinder, AIM-4D and F Falcon, AGM-78 Standard ARM, RIM-67 Staged ARM, AGM-62 Walleye, MGR-1 Honest John, SM-62 Snark, MIM-14B Nike Hercules and the Bomarc.

Are you seeing a pattern here or is it still too vague? ;)

Carl

Estes kit #1284!!! I have an original white ET version sitting in my collection. I don't think I'll ever build it. I'd rather slave and clone it before I open that kit!

Originally posted by phaar
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite scale kits were? Personally, I like the Phoenix.

My favorite is Aerospace Specialty Products 24mm Kappa 9 M.
It's a booger to get the stainless steel paint on top the aluminum paint without ruining the aluminum with masking, but once it's done, it looks great. I really like the rub-on decals too.

Originally posted by CTulanko
AIM-120A and C versions of the AMRAAM, AGM-88A HARM, AGM-84 Harpoon, AGM-65A and AGM-65D Maverick, AIM-7 Sparrow, AGM-54 Phoenix, AIM-9X Sidewinder, AIM-4D and F Falcon, AGM-78 Standard ARM, RIM-67 Staged ARM, AGM-62 Walleye, MGR-1 Honest John, SM-62 Snark, MIM-14B Nike Hercules and the Bomarc.

I was going to start naming them all, but it is easier to use Carl's reply....... My answer is anything military plus the saturn v.....

Polecat Aerospace was to introduce a 6' 38mm 2-stage Nike Hercules last year. They were beta testing a (4) 38mm staging to a a single 38mm version that would sell in the $400 range...

Thats close enough for me, the Nike Hercules is my kit.

Saturn V
Saturn IB (though I've yet to build one...it's just a cool rocket)
Black Brant (II, III, V, X...pretty much all of them)
Terrier/Sandhawk
Mercury Atlas - got the OOP Estes kit last year on auction. That was a fun build!

I think the Apogee Saturn kits are probably 2 of the finest anywhere. Don't have them but intend to one day. Also the one from Sirius looks awesome but I don't do HPR. My favorite that I have is the Estes space shuttle, took me a long time but came out nicely, only one flight on it so far which didn't go too well, but will be trying again this weekend. I'd also like to get the Merc Atlas and V2, and I keep hoping someone will one day come out with a new kit for the Gemini Titan with 2 motor cluster, I'd prefer not to pay $500 for a 30 yr old one on ebay, hehe! Oh also I'd love to get one of Sandman's LJII's, maybe he'll do another run someday, hint hint!

Glenn

Originally posted by GlennW
I think the Apogee Saturn kits are probably 2 of the finest anywhere. Don't have them but intend to one day. Also the one from Sirius looks awesome but I don't do HPR. My favorite that I have is the Estes space shuttle, took me a long time but came out nicely, only one flight on it so far which didn't go too well, but will be trying again this weekend. I'd also like to get the Merc Atlas and V2, and I keep hoping someone will one day come out with a new kit for the Gemini Titan with 2 motor cluster, I'd prefer not to pay $500 for a 30 yr old one on ebay, hehe! Oh also I'd love to get one of Sandman's LJII's, maybe he'll do another run someday, hint hint!

Glenn

Thanks for the Kudos Glenn!

The Apogee kit is awesome! And we would hope you think ours is too. We developed our kit about the same time, and it has been in existance for about 6 years, and our only recommendation is if you love the Saturn, then get an Apogee, and get a Sirius! I do not know about Apogee, but I know many strictly scale Saturn V modelers who are not into model rocketry, but heavily into scale modeling who simply love our kit. Never meant to go into competition with Apogee, just the timing was almost the same, and Tim chose a scale and I chose a scale, and I would say that these two are the best Saturn models you can find! If you want to fly on a G, Tim's model is highly recommended!

At Sirius, we love scale, and we do listen to those who express desires in unique kits We have a lot under development at this time. Hopefully we can finish all the projects we have in store! Keep on checking with us at https://www.siriusrocketry.com , we have some neat things in store. And check out Apogee rockets, because Tim has a desire, like me, to make some really unique products!

We are all in this business together to make things that you have wanted for years, and between us all, we are doing it.

Thanks for the comments, and Fly HIGH and, above all, have fun!

Dave
Sirius Rocketry, LLC
www.siriusrocketry.com

Originally posted by eugenefl
Estes kit #1284!!! I have an original white ET version sitting in my collection. I don't think I'll ever build it. I'd rather slave and clone it before I open that kit!

Wow, the original White ET! You must have bought it the same time I did!

What I did way back them was accidentally shoot the white paint with a can of "Wrought Iron" paint. Looked like a handrail when I got done, but with about a week or two of sanding and another shot of paint, it looked normal again.

Don't open that kit!

Don't shoot with White Wrought Iron paint!

And don't fly when the wind is high, because the Orbiter glided away, and the booster also moved far away on an unexpected thermal. Lost the whole thing. But, ****, it may have had a white ET, but the launch was pretty spectacular!

Those Shuttles may not have ever been the best gliders, but when folks took the time to trim them, and they glided as well as a rock could glide (just like the real thing) they were always an incredible amount of fun to watch!!!!!

Dave
Sirius about rocketry!
www.siriusrocketry.com

For Christmas of 1969, my grandmother bought me the Centuri Saturn V, which at the wise age of 11, I had decided, was a much better kit than the Estes version that had just been released. (And it was.)

That kit, if I recall, listed for $19.95... which means, adjusted for inflation, that you can get it cheaper today!! :eek: :eek: (It's going for $65-$70 on eBay, and I can assure you that's cheaper, in real dollars, than what $19.95 was in 1969. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I brought home that beautiful Saturn V, took it down to my desk in the basement, opened the box and... holey moley!! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

For an 11-year-old kid, I wasn't a bad rocket builder, but I wasn't ready to build the Saturn V. I'd have hacked that thing into bits. Maybe in another year or so, I thought ... so I stashed the boxed kit up in the corner of my bedroom closet.

A couple years go by and I discover football and girls and partying and college and all that stuff, and the Saturn V sits silently in my closet.

In the meantime, Estes buys out Centuri, and as it turns out, the Centuri-designed Saturn V becomes the "official" Estes version. But for about 20 years there, I had lots of other stuff to do...

I move out of the house and out into the world, and every time I come back to see mom and dad, I look in my old closet - yep, there it is.

So we finally arrive at the year of 1994 A.D. - twenty-five years after I got the kit. My mom passes away, and my dad starts to think seriously about clearing out the house. So I come home to visit, and there in my bedroom closet is the Centuri Saturn V.

One night after three or five beers, I get seized by a wild impulse. A few weeks of pretty intense work later, there it is - in pristine, immaculately-constructed glory! :D (One thing you understand when you're 35 that you probably didn't when you were 11 is that it's usually a good idea to follow the directions... :p )

My grandmother, it just so happened, was still around - by now, at the age of 98. She had asked me a couple times over the years how the rocket came out, and I always said, "I might build it one of these days." One time in about 1979-80 - 10 years later -she just asks me out of the blue, "What ever happened to that rocket?"

So you can imagine the reaction when I walked into her apartment that day in 1994 with a nearly 4-foot-tall Saturn V in my hands. She says, "What is that?" and I say, "You remember Christmas 25 years ago?" She says: "Oh my god, I don't believe you finally built it."

So we drove out to a school field a few blocks down the street. I told her, "OK, now when i count down to zero, you just push the button."

Five, four, three, two, one, zero...

Homer Hickam, eat your heart out! :D

saturn%20launch.jpg

(Note, credit to WOOSH for the stolen photo - but it really did look like that!!)

I should have asked NAR to make her an honorary member - I wonder how many 98-year-old launch officers they've had??

:D :p

Back