What sanding sponges are you all using?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I started using some 3M Sandblaster Pro 220 grit sanding sponges on body tubes that have been covered with Bondo Glazy putty. The thing is, while they work well, they clog up really fast, and the grit gets worn down quickly. Once I clean them in water, and let them dry I can get some more use out of them, but they don't o remove the putty as well as new. I am not really happy about the price either, $7 for 2. I cut them in half to make them thinner and a little more flexible, but I am still only getting roughly one rocket, maybe 2, before they are used up.

I haven't had much luck looking for other vendors online - I've been getting them from Lowes, but I wanted a cheaper option. What are you all using?

When just wearing away glazing putty/paint, I use these, 10 for $6.

They don't last as long as the 3M stuff, but they work well enough for me. I usually keep a used sponge to 'wipe' clogs out of the sponge I am sanding with. It works better than washing for me.

For body tubes, I just use the cheapest sand paper I can find, and rub back and forth while slowly turning the tube. I can throw it away anytime without worrying about budget.

Sponges look like they would work nicely but if I used them the way I use sand paper, I’d have to skip meals.

Don't wash them, blow them out with compressed air. I like to use just plain sandpaper wrapped around a closed cell foam pad, especially when wet sanding.

Back