What rockets did you fly "back in the day"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by kenobi65
Bill, I saw your write-up on the Condor clone on EMRR...very cool. Now I *know* I need to do this one.

Thanks. That may have been my very first attempt at a review, and it shows. Back then I had no idea how to include pictures, but now that I've crawled out of the stone age and into the '90's, that's no longer a problem.

I meant to list the rest of my fleet circa 1977, but got distracted here at work, so:
Beta (my first rocket)
Condor
Andromeda (currently on the clone bench)
Alpha (my first one flight wonder)
Odyssey
Satellite Interceptor (another favorite)
X-Ray
Mercury Redstone
Wizard (another one flight wonder)
X-Wing (the only original I still have left)
Gooneybird Cloudhopper (found it for $.99)
Centuri Mini-Dactyl (also under a buck, but I never built it)
I also had the battered hulk of a friend's Centuri E.S.S. Raven that got caught in a tree and soaked, but I never rescued the nose cone. I doubt that it would have flown anyway. It was in pretty rough shape by the time I got it out of the tree.

Rocketry in California before 1972 was hamstrung by outdated fireworks codes.

I had been building rockets for several years before I was able to get any rocket motors to fly them. My father and I made a 70 mile round-trip to pick up one blue-tube each of 1/2A6-2s & (I think) 1/4A3-2S(Shorty)s motors.

My first rocket flight was an Estes Falcon (K-13) glider. It worked!

Next was an Estes Sprite (K-15). The engine ejected so the model went straight in on its nose instead of 'tumbling'. Other than to top 1/4" of the nose cone now being flat, the rocket was fine.

Rockets I flew during the 1970s:

Estes
Alpha
Alpha II
Alpha III
Sky Hook
Semi-Scale Saturn V (K-39)
Little Joe II (K-30)
Midget (K-40, 'S' motors)
Star Blazer (K-31, 'S' motors)
Birdie (K-44, 'S' motors)
Vampire (RTF)
X15 (RTF)
Aero-Hi
Galaxy Guppy
Mini-Bertha
Mosquito
Quasar (Citation)
Screamer
Patriot (Citation)
Red Max (Citation)
Saros
Mini-Bomarc
Skydart

Centuri

Screaming Eagle
Little Joe II (KS-9)

Vashon

Baron

Other than the Alpha II, I still have all of these models.

I guess I did more flying back then than I thought!

Reading Initiator's post reminded me of a question that's been rolling around in my head since I got back into this, and have been reading about the old kits. This seems like a reasonable forum to ask...

It seems like most of the 1960s-era Estes kits had a sub-brand-name of Astron, and that some of the 70s kits (like the Patriot) were referred to as "Citation"s. Did these sub-names signify anything?

(My suspicion is that, in the 60s, Estes was the company name, and Astron the brand name for their rockets, but I might be dead wrong. )

Originally posted by kenobi65
It seems like most of the 1960s-era Estes kits had a sub-brand-name of Astron, and that some of the 70s kits (like the Patriot) were referred to as "Citation"s. Did these sub-names signify anything?

(My suspicion is that, in the 60s, Estes was the company name, and Astron the brand name for their rockets, but I might be dead wrong. )

My understanding is that Astron was a name Vern Estes added to each kit, because it sounded futrutistic. The Citation came from a time in the 70's when Estes sent out a small, hip pocket sized catalog with special "Boxed" kits, to try to attrack a slightly different maket into rocketry. Even the motors had different names, such as A-3, instead of A8-3, and C-3 instead of C6-3. This is how I had head these came about. If anyone has the difinitive answer please speak up!

you've pretty much nailed it. "Astron" was just a marketing gimick. It sounded cool and futuristic so that was applied to all the kit names for a while.

"Back in the day" for me would be the early seventies. My rocket fleet then included a Big Bertha, and an alpha X-ray. I set up the BB so it ejected a small paratrooper called "Blue Commander." Ladybugs in my neighborhood feared the very sight of the X-ray. My favorite rocket, however, was the astron Sprint. I still have my original Sprint from the mid-70's. I still fly it, but only on A's and B's - I don't want to lose it.

"back in the day" to me is Fall 1967...My 1st rocket was an Estes Scout.....I also remember having the Red 8 D-Cell Electro-Launch launch pad, the invader ufo, the spaceman, spaceplane,the streak, the x-ray,nighthawk,camroc,trident,GT-3,.... I placed a lightbulb and battery in the clear payload section of my Estes X-ray and laucnhed it at night....the tape must have come loose as the lightbulb went out and I lost the rocket....B(

For some unknown reason although I used centuri mini AB engines I never really purchased any centuri kits other than their Saturn 1B (?) that I can remember... I remember having the Cox Saturn5,Saturn 1B,Little Joe 2,X-15

I also remember having a Vashon Cold Power rocket before Vashon was purchased by Estes

I also had some MPC kits....a flatcat....
I attended NARAM-12 and 13
My first time with model rocketry was 67-72....
returned in the late 70's-early 80's, say 78-84....
returned again in 88-89
returned again 92-93
returned this last time 2002...

I'm a multi-BAR.....!

this thread makes me wish i had a memory:cool:

i KNOW that i had an orbital transport and something that MUST have been an alpha but other than that i can't recall. i DO remember having lots of fun building and launching:D

Showing my age, but all of my first rockets started with "Astron":

Scout (my very first - who could ever forget "tumble recovery")
Alpha
Sky Hook
Streak
Big Bertha
Mark II
X-Ray
Sprint
Gyroc
Apogee II
Farside
Orbital Transport
Mars Lander
Saturn V

Built a few Centuri kits but those brain cells seem to be dead -- I can't remember! :eek:

First kit I built (~1964) was Aerobee 300. In 1966, I bought one of my favorites, the BT-55 sized V-2 with balsa tailcone. I got that when I visited Estes Industries (and Vern did the tour for a bunch of us.)

I still have the order I placed -- I should scan it and post.

A/B/C motors were about 25 - 35 cents each, or "3 for the price of 2". I think the Cs were the most, at 90 cents for a 3-pack.

The D was not out yet!

Originally posted by Lee Reep
First kit I built (~1964) was Aerobee 300.

Its during these moments when you realise that the term "Veteran Member" is somewhat of an understatement !

You can remember your first kit !! From THEN ?!? I hope my mind will be as a sharp as yours in 2044 when Im asked about the what we were building "back in our day". I fear I shall be as sharp as Grandpa Simpson rather than Mr Reep however.

Paul

I have been somewhat "hesitant" to reply to this thread!

My "FIRST" was a Model Missles Aerobee Hi circa 1957!...ouch!

I remember having a heck of a time getting that little loop of nichrome wire to lite the motor.

My brother was in charge and he got so mad he bunched up newspaper under the rocket and started it on fire...that didn't work.

Later...when he wasn't around...I remade the fins (badly burned) and I redid the loop of nichrome and got some new batteries.

Then it lit!...I was hooked!

My brother recently retired from Thiokol Industries!

Fortunately...he was in personel...not in charge of ignition!

sandman

Here's a picture of some of my 'oldies', both flown and unflown:

L-R: Estes Wac Corporal, Citation Patriot (Transpo '72 D-motor demo special), Ranger (K-6), A-20 Demon & Arcas.

Man...I have tried and still cannot remember back that far...I remember a mail order in the 60's...that was about it.

Carl

some great memories being reveiled here :)

I also remember the Sputnik, spaceman, and Gemini Titan (my 2nd cluster after the Saturn 1B) Oh, and to make many of us feel REALLY old.... You may recall how *unobtainable* something like the 1:70 scale Saturn 1B was on our meger allowances... I mean, My God man, it cost $9.95 for crying out loud! :D

I also remember having crashed my 1B and used the carcas to make a Thor Agena (my very first scratch built). I remember making the cone out of paper shrouds after i figured out how to make *them* :)

Up close it didnt' look that good, but looked great on the pad (that's when i discovered that ALL rockets look good on the pad, from 15-20 feet away :) )

She flew great on D13's

Anyone remember the Phantom? Anyone else actually make the darned thing *fly*??? :D

All right! All right! I'll do it! Quit pushing me, dangit! (j/k) ;)

This has to be one of the oldest pics that I have of my rockets. A long time ago (ok, eleven-ish years) I won an Alpha III (the white and red one) in a contest at church, then after me and my dad launched it, we found out how much fun it was, then at some point, we bought this Alpha, and flew it! So, this has to be the oldest picture of my obsession!

Jason0

Jflis wrote:

"You may recall how *unobtainable* something like the 1:70 scale Saturn 1B was on our meger allowances... "

Jim, I well remember arguing with my mother when she refused to let me order $12.00 worth of rockets at age 12!! She said it was a waste of my birthday money. Dad sent the order...;)

I also remember rejoicing at locating my Mars Lander in 1978 in the back hallway of a small local magazine/cigar shop that sold rockets. My MM had been there for years and was all dusty. I bought it for $8.00 and could barely conceal my glee at such a 'steal'. :rolleyes:

As a kid, I remember that getting the Sat V was about as realistic as my buying a house!

Fred

Mid to late 70's was back in the day for me, we had

Blue Bird Zero (still had up until last summer, when it crashed)
Icarus (lost to RET about 9 yrs ago)
Mosquito (lost last summer, built a new one)
Alpha III (still have, although in very beat up condition!)
Vega (my stepbrother built that one, don't remember what happened to it)
Mean Machine (stepbrother's also, who knows what happened to it?)
Javelin & Super Flea combo (still flying today!)

Glenn

As a 70's kid, I built quite a few of the popular Estes kits already mentioned here. The memorable favorites were the der Red Max...the Orbital Transport...Scissor Wing Transport...and this one.

The ONLY survivor from my childhood rocketry days. Notice the "lean". I've been thinking of trying to restore this old girl, but I'm afraid I'll just screw it up. Where's that number for TangoPaPa?!?!

MVC-239F.jpg

John

Originally posted by jflis

I also remember the Sputnik, spaceman, and Gemini Titan (my 2nd cluster after the Saturn 1B) Oh, and to make many of us feel REALLY old.... You may recall how *unobtainable* something like the 1:70 scale Saturn 1B was on our meger allowances... I mean, My God man, it cost $9.95 for crying out loud! :D

Jim:
One on my favorite the mars snooper was $3.95 man They really were the good ole days:D
You guys made me go digging in the photo albums again. best I could do was from the late 60's early 70's in goup pics. These old polorids aren't the best quality to start with but her's the "First Fleet" pics from 71 in color and 73 b&w's Should bring back some memories...remember the 1:242 Scale Saturn-V?
It's hard to look at these photos and realize only 3 or all those models still survive, the three Scale models in b&w 1-of-3 are still around and flying..well the old Satrun-V was retired with 139 flights.

Micro... is that a Midget two-stager in the upper left hand photo? I've cloned that rocket twice, and have both booster airframes :D and of course no more booster motors. :mad:

This will make some of you groan, I'm sure; I get a little sick when i think of it... A fellow boy scout was just trying to unload some rocket kits as he'd lost interest in the hobby. So I bought an Interceptor AND Saturn IB for $8. yes, that's right, eight dollars U.S.

What makes me ill is that I was intimidated by the complexity of the Saturn kit so I never built it. Naturally all my rocket stuff hit the landfill during the Great Parental Move of 1983. :eek:

Yeap Greylensman it sure is, heres a little better look at that pic alone.
I thought about cloning one.. I think I still have about 6 1/2A6-os 18mm short booster motors in my range box... but no upper stage motors, could built it with a 13mm motor mount;)

Amazng the things we Scouts do! that 1:242 Scale Saturn-V, in the 1971 color pic was a gift for my Scoutmaster, I was an Assistant SM at that time.

Micro,

Those pix are incredible! Do you still have the originals? Any chance in scanning them in a very high resolution and posting them someplace?

Heck, pictures like that would make an INCREDIBLE article for Sport Rocketry.

We should seriously consider some of us with our old pictures putting together a nostalgia article and sending it in from TRF!

Micro,

Those pix are incredible! Do you still have the originals? Any chance in scanning them in a very high resolution and posting them someplace?

Heck, pictures like that would make an INCREDIBLE article for Sport Rocketry.

We should seriously consider some of us with our old pictures putting together a nostalgia article and sending it in from TRF!

Believe it or not I found 2 whole albums of "First Fleet" Photos, Mostly b&w polaroid's, many the type you had to develope and spread the "clear" goo overcoat on:) some color lift off ect. Like this set of my old Satrun-V and Gantry. or single model stills like the follow pic.. really not very goog:(

Originally posted by Micromister

Jim:
One on my favorite the mars snooper was $3.95 man They really were the good ole days

I don't quite remember them as the 'good' old days. When you are a kid getting about ten-cents-a-week for allowance, and no prospects for lawn jobs to earn extra cash, it was pure torture to page through the Estes catalog and see all that cool stuff just out of reach.

It may as well have been priced at $3,950.00

Well I was lucky I guess I got a buck a week, so if I REALLY wanted a model it took a month or so, or I'd go carry folks bags, mow lawns or do Odd jobs of extra money. Shoot sometimes my band even got a "Paying" gig and I'd be set for a couple months.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Instead typing...I'll say dittos tot he above, except I never finished my Saturn 1B. That is my biggest regret
Mine is that I did finish mine--it was actually given to me by a friend who was getting out of the hobby--but I never flew it. :(

When I was a kid, my family owned several wholesale distribution warehouses in Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma. We sold toys, games, hobbies, household goods, etc to the local retailers. Of course we carried rockets. I remember taking a tour of the Estes facilities back when I was about 3 or 4 years old (1971-72). I got to launch a couple of rockets there (don't remember what they were). I do remember one got stuck in some power lines! When I got older, I was able to get just about whatever rocket I wanted from the warehouse. That was my "allowance" for helping out around the warehouse. Also, we had a HUGE box full of returns that never got sent back to Estes. I remember digging through there and finding all sorts of stuff, I even found an old "Coldpower" rocket car! We sold the business back in the mid 80's. Man do I wish I could go back and dig through that box of returns!!!!!!

Back