What rocketry means to me...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
So I've been reflecting lately and taking stock of things...
Thought I'd share my thoughts on the hobby and what it means to me. And I'm curious to know what y'all think.
Basically, back in late 2010 and 2011, I had some major life changes going on. After a few years of getting back on track, I stumbled my way back into rocketry after a half a lifetime away. Since July 2014, I've been neck deep in the hobby. In that time, I've made some of the best friends I've ever had and I've had some of the best experiences of my life. Rocketry has become a standard family activity that gets us working together and traveling together, building our family bonds in ways that we hadn't prior. I've invested tons of time, money, and effort into it, and it's paid me back a million times over in memories, laughs, and simple joy. Every rocket I see taking off still gives me that childish sense of glee, a feeling I thought I had lost the ability to feel.
Rocketry has been a pathway for me back into a normal life from the chaos I had created for 20 years. To me, it's more than just fiberglass, AP, fire and smoke... It's a joy that makes and strengthens bonds between me, my family, and my friends. It's an amazing, niche community that I'm glad to be a part of...

1482982880854.jpg

I can only hope to follow in your footsteps. ..congrats.

Quote: We act as though the chief requirements of life are comfort and luxury, when all we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.

Rocketry has been for me an of-and-on-again interest for over 40 years. I got my first rocket kit and starter set at age 8 in 1974. The moon landings were still very fresh, and the excitement of the Space Age were still new. I drppbed out after a few years, picked it up again in college, dropped it, picked it up for a nephew, dropped it, picked it up again for a different nephew, discovered MPR and HPR online at TRF, and stuck. I've always loved the Space Program and Sci-Fi, and rocketry has been a way to live that out.

Although I'm not disappointed or dissatisfied with my life, I do realize I'll never work for NASA, I'll never be an astronaut, I'll never work for the space program. I've always believed with every fiber of my being that the true and only future humans have is in space. If we stay here and only here we will not survive.

Model Rocketry is my physical connection to that future. Every model I build and every launch is a spark, a connection to the effort of leaving this planet and moving out there. I wish I could have made a more meaningful, lasting contribution; but maybe, just maybe, some youth somewhere will be directly or indirectly motivated by my participation and enthusiasm, to peruse the dream directly. If not, then I've done my part to keep the hobby going and every launch is an attempt to get there.

First off CZ that's an impressive amount of building for a family guy in a 2 year period ! Secondly Thirsty is the big 50 !!! Me two LOL . I recall my first introduction to rocketry was in 3rd grade at a science fair , I kept at it thru jr high , I flew a few more times in my early 20s but when my children became old enough I introduced them to model rocketry and found high power at about that time. It is hard to believe that's been about 15 years ago now , my son made me a grandpa this year ! Rocketry is one of the few places where people from all kinds of backgrounds can come together and be mutually supportive of one another , Ive been to launches in Iowa , Illinois , Kansas , Nebraska , and Min. and most that I call friends I have met at these places.

First off CZ that's an impressive amount of building for a family guy in a 2 year period !

Yeah... That's what happens when Wildman is at every launch I attend, and they're within driving distance. Every one of those was purchased on sale (or gifted to me) with zero shipping costs.
I like it... My wife just chooses to not think about how much I've invested. Although, she's very supportive because she sees the benefits, as well.

Rocketry is the one thing I do where absolutely no one is counting on the out come. Work, being a decent spouse and father, taking care of house, volunteering, side-gig, etc. there is always someone counting on you. It is really beneficial when you are as naturally high strung as I am to have something "meaningless" to do sometimes...it is like my zen garden, but with fire.

Rocketry is the one thing I do where absolutely no one is counting on the out come. Work, being a decent spouse and father, taking care of house, volunteering, side-gig, etc. there is always someone counting on you. It is really beneficial when you are as naturally high strung as I am to have something "meaningless" to do sometimes...it is like my zen garden, but with fire.

Right on...

Back