What rocket do I build next?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I've put together the ones they sell at toys-r-us about 50 times.

Because of my experience with physics and technology I should go to the harder stuff.

HOWEVER. I want to "Pay my dues" and work my way up. Knowing what you know about me now.

What's my next step?!:confused2:

-TheTechAdmin

Lets think this one out. how large of space do you have to launch rockets in?
is there any clubs in your area that you can talk with members?
do you ant to go larger rockets and larger motors?
are you intrested in MPR or HPR?
Rockets that go high or ones that stay low?
if you want to fly motors larger than a G impulse you will have to join either NAR or TRA and get level qulified.
there are a bunch of great companys that make kits that range from micromax to 10" dia. or larger rockets depending on what you want to do.
you can do kits or you can scratch build.
the sky is the limit as is your pocket book.

What are you interested in?
What style of rocket blows your skirt up? (Sci-fi, scale, military, sport, staged, ect)
Do you want to stay LPR or go midpower?
What is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Check out the various manufacturers websites and catalogs to find what excites you most. Then hold up a bank and buy a few.
:D

Well, since you've done the Toys R Us ones, I have a few suggestions.

FlisKits
Heavenly Hobbies
Squirrel Works
Semroc

There are more...

All of these tend to stay in the low to mid power range, yet most of the kits are more complicated and challenging.

I would definitely suggest a FlisKits Deuce's Wild as a good step up.

Hang out with us for awhile and follow some build threads.

Read the Stickies under the Low Power heading. Full of links

Because of my experience with physics and technology I should go to the harder stuff.

HOWEVER. I want to "Pay my dues" and work my way up. Knowing what you know about me now.

-TheTechAdmin

As many have asked, give use an idea of what type of rocketry you think you would be most interested in. In many cases it comes down to what looks cool to you and nothing more. In that case you really should go to the various manufacturers web sites, look around and see what strikes your fancy.

With that in mind...

https://fliskits.com/

Come on down! :)

I had no idea there were so many aspects in choosing what to build!!! Due to my "newbness" ( yeah, I said it JUST LIKE THAT ), I will be taking note of my growth in experience to future help someone with the same question. I will be able to provide them with a nice little list to get them from nubblet to rocketeer!!!

-TheTechAdmin

Two thumbs up for FlisKits! Great products from a vendor who will bend over backwards to help you.

As far as that goes, I don't know of ANY vendor that hangs out here that doesn't also pretty much fall into that category. These guys sell these products because they love the hobby.

Be aware that (besides Estes) there is now another major model rocketry supplier, rapidly growing: Quest Aerospace. They have great products and (independent of Estes) also have a motor line for 18mm blackpowder motors.

Before you spot an old collector kit (the term is "OOP" for out-of-production) that makes you go all wet-brained, and before you go on ebay and spend mega-bux to buy one, note that there are tons of plans for old kits posted online for free. Check out
JimZ rocket plans -- https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/index.htm
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe -- https://www.rocketshoppe.com/
and there are other websites with similar content. If you can't find it there, try asking here on TRF and one of our "historians" may be able to provide it or direct you to a source. And we can help you find the parts and materials for these old plans at places like Balsa Machining Service, Totally Tubular (body tubes), Roachwerks custom balsa spinning, custom decal vendors, and others.

BTW, on JimZ there are also old Model Rocketry magazines that are well worth reading. Tons of good info there that is still useful.

If you have any Hobby Lobby stores near you then you may want to hold off purchasing model rocket kits until next week. Lately they have been running a 40% off coupon about every two weeks, like last week, which means next week they will probably post it on their website again. You can print as many as you like: check https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm each week on Monday.

Use the NAR website to search for local sections. If there is one within driving distance I would highly recommend getting in touch with them, attending some meetings, and watching for their next launch. Especially if they have any upcoming contest events, stay in touch with them because most of those little groups have a lot of experience behind them.

A big list of rocketry jargon and definitions on EMRR -- https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/resources/glossary.cgi
Their list of terminology can help you get up to speed quickly

Lots and lots and lots of good info, advice, experience documented here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41
(THAT oughta keep you busy for a while!)

And come on back here to TRF with more qstns! There are hundreds of more websites full of good info that we can point you to, if you tell us what you need. (Welcome to TRF? [despite last night's events?])

Last edited:
I had no idea there were so many aspects in choosing what to build!!! Due to my "newbness" ( yeah, I said it JUST LIKE THAT ), I will be taking note of my growth in experience to future help someone with the same question. I will be able to provide them with a nice little list to get them from nubblet to rocketeer!!!

-TheTechAdmin

Here is a fantastic place to start.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/

Lots and lots of reviews on models from lots and lots of manufacturers.

Info like how hard they are to build, how high, the quality of the parts...lots of "stuff"!

I've built quite a few FlisKits, and really like them. Plus the service is great.

One of the coolest kits I've stumbled across recently (Sorry, Jim) is the Squirrel Works Firebird SST (https://www.squirrel-works.com/catalog/firebird/firebird.html). It doesn't show in the photos really well, but there are some cute little angles that just make it that much cooler, when you see it in person.

I also just built my first Semroc kit; nothing but praise there, as well.

https://www.fliskits.com
https://www.squirrel-works.com/
https://www.semroc.com

If you pop down to the Vendors area you, can also find info on a couple RokitFlite kits that have caught my eye, and people have good things to say about 'em.

My 5 year old really wants a Rokit Flit Odyssey. Good choice, since I want one, too!

-Kevin

TTA - this isn't something that someone can do following a checklist. That's why everyone is asking for more information from you (which, may I point out that you didn't answer) so that the information you receive can be tailored for you. So, for right now, don't worry about elmer'ing someone in the future - let's see if we can get you there.

So, again... the question is: What do you want to do next? Fly something a little bit bigger? More powerful? Fancy (i.e. two stage, payload, etc.) or basic? Medium power or high power? C'mon... help us help you spend your next paycheck! :neener:

If you want a change of pace....

google 'art applewhite rockets'.

He has free and pay to play stuff. ALL of it is FUN.

I have seen old timers that simply show up occasionally and act bored at launches. They haven't flown anything in years. They see me flying this stuff and then they show up at the next launch with stuff and wanting to fly right away !!

-TheTechAdmin

Just go the Ben route,.....and build that M sized project.

Just go the Ben route,.....and build that M sized project.

My understanding is that Ben wasn't going his projects alone but was being mentored by knowledgable people in the rocketry community.

My understanding is that Ben wasn't going his projects alone but was being mentored by knowledgable people in the rocketry community.

I was trying to be funny,

Let's ask him.....

Ben: this guy's got some physics and technology experience, IF you were him..what would you build next?

Last edited:
OK OK!!!

It's kind of hard to say what I want, when honestly I don't know my full options here.

I can say, I want to do much more work. I want to need to spend a couple of days building my next rocket, instead of 15 minutes.
I think instead of a super fast rocket. I'd like a rocket that went very high, but not very fast. So it looks almost like it's a real NASA rocket. I don't know if that's possible.
I'll let you guys talk it out! I can't wait for your answer! I will order as soon as my new forum buddies give me my directions!

-TheTechAdmin

You might be interested in the Apogee motors then. A nice kit with a 24mm motor mount on an Apogee E6 would fit that bill nicely - it has nearly a 7 second burn, so it would get stuff WAY up there. Of course, that requires a 12V launcher, so you can't just use the estes ground support equipment with that. Alternatively, Estes's E9 is a nice longish burn motor (~3 seconds), and would give that effect with several kits (though obviously not to the same degree as the E6).

I was trying to be funny,

I figured that :) but this is the beginner's forum where a lot of newcomers to the hobby will be reading and I wanted to make that very clear.

Well I am partial to the PML Callisto.. I set mine up for dual deplyment as well as shortend it to the same lenght as the IO. Mine is the 38mm MMT and I adapt it down to 29mm to fly on G's. It gets up to 2000' on a G64-10W.

There are other rockets out there that will give you great results and everyone has their favorite one.

Cast the line ... oooh there is a nibble .... wait for it .... set the hook
Got ya! :)

This is about the most addictive hobby that you can find. Find a local club and get to their launch as soon as you can! Madness is more fun in groups. :)

In addition to the excellent suggestions already made I would recommend scratch building some of your own designs.

To that end, here is a link to the 30 day trial of rocksim (a rocketry simulation and design program):

https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_demo.asp

Try some scratch- building. Start collecting vaguely rocket- shaped packaging and build away. Or try converting paper models.

For NASA stuff check out Dr Zooch, his kits are a lot of fun, there are a couple build threads going in the LPR section on his Shuttle and Saturn's https://drzooch.com/

OK OK!!!

It's kind of hard to say what I want, when honestly I don't know my full options here.

I can say, I want to do much more work. I want to need to spend a couple of days building my next rocket, instead of 15 minutes.
I think instead of a super fast rocket. I'd like a rocket that went very high, but not very fast. So it looks almost like it's a real NASA rocket. I don't know if that's possible.
I'll let you guys talk it out! I can't wait for your answer! I will order as soon as my new forum buddies give me my directions!

-TheTechAdmin

If you mean "Low and SLow" I'm right there with you, just love slow lift offs.
Tube rockets may be a good choice, if you are so inclined. I would like to suggest our Kraken if you would like to stay in LPR or the King Kraken if you wish to venture in to MPR/HPR:
KingKraken_DSC_4953sized300x200.jpg

Tube rockets may be a good choice, if you are so inclined. I would like to suggest our Kraken if you would like to stay in LPR or the King Kraken if you wish to venture in to MPR/HPR:

Betcha won't build those in a day. ;)

My Kraken has finally arose, it has sniffed the air and it restrains itself until it has clear skies...

This was a great build, from the 'destructions', to the kevlar, to crafting and shaping the tube fins and guarding it all, a Hartle parachute!

Highly recommended!

KrakenLPR.jpg

Cast the line ... oooh there is a nibble .... wait for it .... set the hook
Got ya! :)

This is about the most addictive hobby that you can find. Find a local club and get to their launch as soon as you can! Madness is more fun in groups. :)

In addition to the excellent suggestions already made I would recommend scratch building some of your own designs.

To that end, here is a link to the 30 day trial of rocksim (a rocketry simulation and design program):

https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_demo.asp

I just downloaded it to my desktop and will play with it when I am done with my work; I'm so back up today.

THANKS A LOT FOR THAT THOUGH!!! I love Architectural-like programs.

It looks like this will be my next rocket. And yes, "low and slow" is my thing, as you put into better words. Can you possibly link me the correct page to place an order?

[OFF-TOPIC] How do I find local rocket clubs :confused2: ???
Thanks for ALL your help.

-TheTechAdmin

Back