What paper weight to use for different rocket sizes

Discussion in 'Cardstock Rocketry' started by Funkworks, Jul 8, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jul 8, 2019 #1

Funkworks

Funkworks

Funkworks

Paper can be classified according to "paperweight", which is essentially its thickness, or weight per unit of area: https://paperworks.com/about-paper-weights.

I am wondering what are suitable paper weights for building rocket parts of different sizes, and where can someone go to, to have a user-designed graphic printed on a a small quantity of paperweight-specified paper.

2. Jul 8, 2019 #2

Gus

Gus

Gus

IMG_6606.jpg IMG_5734.jpg IMG_5649.jpg

My daughter and I have been building competition rockets out of paper for many years. 16# vellum is very good for ultra lightweight airframes. We commonly use 67# cardstock for transitions, but have experimented with 32# "Presentation" paper, 40# photo paper, 20# waterproof paper, and 100# cardstock. Be aware that listed paperweights give you a relative idea of paper weight but, as the photo below of some recent transitions shows, the listed weights are VERY approximate and don't always correspond to real weight.

We print our models on an inkjet printer. Tubes and transitions are made with Scotch Magic Transparent tape holding the shape of the pieces. Tubes and transitions are held together with CA.

Attached Files:

heada, Danh and Funkworks like this.
  3. Jul 12, 2019 at 12:58 AM #3

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Gus those are fantastic!

Very useful info. I’ve used 14lb Tyvek paper too with some success.

Funkworks likes this.