What other types of software tools do you use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Besides Spacecad and Rocksim, what other types of software tools do you use? And, do you like them?

These could be shareware, freeware or whatever.

VCP and WRASP, these are the basic freeware simulation programs that I started out with.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I use QuickCAD by Autodesk.

They also make AutoCAD so it's compatsble...just a smaller version.

Great for making drawings without the choppy lines you get with "Paint".

sandman

A tool I really love is Visio. It's not the best for drawing curved shapes like nose cones, but it is really quick and easy for most drawings. It's main feature is a many libraries of 'objects' that you can drag into your drawings, then scale, rotate, etc. Custom objects can be saved and used for future use.

Originally posted by sandman
I use QuickCAD by Autodesk.

They also make AutoCAD so it's compatsble...just a smaller version.

Great for making drawings without the choppy lines you get with "Paint".

sandman

I was just thinking about that today. Funny, I was standing in front of a box that said QuickCad wondering if it might be something I should look at...

I have a copy of QuickCAD but haven't used it much. could you QuickCAD users show me how to make it do rocketry-tricks?

thanks!!

Lightwave 3D.

Makes motion pictures and rockets!

shrox

I still occasionally use older programs such as Rasp and VCP as they still have their purpose. I also use PaintShop Pro for drawing my plans and cropping pics. Finally, Microsoft Excel is a great tool for re-sizing rockets...you can enter a column with all the specs of the stock one, then either up or downscale to your liking.

Carl

Carl

do you have any Excel templates you'd be willing to share with the class?

Originally posted by CTulanko
I still occasionally use older programs such as Rasp and VCP as they still have their purpose. I also use PaintShop Pro for drawing my plans and cropping pics. Finally, Microsoft Excel is a great tool for re-sizing rockets...you can enter a column with all the specs of the stock one, then either up or downscale to your liking.

Carl

I forgot totally about spreadsheets. I used to run one on a pocket PC (well, its kinda a PC) just for that purpose. Could leave it in the rocket dungeon (aka the basement) without affecting my surfing.

I also use Paintshop Pro for editing my photos. Still can't get a decent looking icon. Can make it small enough, but they always look lousy. Luckily someone made the one I'm using for me :)

grey,

I've attached an Excel spreadsheet I cooked up several years ago to make quickie scale conversions. The data in it was planned for a scale-up of the Satellite Interceptor when my delusions of grandeur had me scaling up for a Level 1 attempt.

Still hope to do it someday...

Enjoy,

Now that I look at it closer, it seems I have a mixture of data from several different things in the sheet. Should give you an idea, though.

Since it's over four years old, I'm sure that newer body tube dimentions would need to be added to the BT tab (from Totally Tubular and others). If I recall, I plugged these in basically straight out of "The Art of Scale Model Rocktry" as a starting point.

Enjoy,

I use:

Trellix for Web - Publish Anywhere Edition for my Classic Golf Architecture website. It allows me to use the best WYSIWYG design tool available. Unfortunately, its no longer produced although Cute-Site builder has taken over for it. My site can be seen here:

https://members.tripod.com/silverleaf_design/architecture.htm

Paints Shop Pro 7.2 for graphic and artistic flare. I personally found PSP 8 to be a system hog, and did not keep the new version. In the long run, I made the right decision - based on other designers chiming in with the same problem.

DeltaCad for all cad based designs, its the cheapest at 39 bucks and is extremely easy to use.

The images listed here:

https://members.tripod.com/silverleaf_design/id57.htm#sd

were all done with PSP 7, and the large cad drawing was done with DeltaCad 5.0

VCP - The MVP of Rocketry based software, the transition templates alone are worth Rocksim's outlandish price.

Microsft Office 2000 Professional Edition - yeah, the new version is nice, but this one just rocks with my system. 8)

For my audio needs, I use Cool Edit Pro and NTI Cd Maker Professional along with Cowan's Jet-Audio Extension.

For my Architecture designs and golf course layout I use PGA 2000, along with several private software packages that I'm beta-testing at the moment.

Of all of those, my favorite hands down is PSP 7. I edit tons of images for golf design, and it is by far the one software program that I must have. DeltaCad is a very close second.

Just realized this was supposed to be rocketry based only..ahh well..lol

Back