What new things does the hobby want to see?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, for the fins and rings. It's the nose cones and transitions I miss from BMS, and a company doing those might as well do the laser cutting too.

An altimeter and camera in one. AltimeterFour??
I would like to buy an AltimeterThree but sold out :(

Altimeter 4 is allegedly coming, so may with that. And it makes a great deal of sense, since there has to be a basic altimeter inside the chute release anyway. Even if the combination corresponds to no other JL model, just add some Flash memory and a USB port and it would be pretty handy.

Hello Shockie,

There are at least three wireless launch control systems available right now. Maybe there are more. So I can only guess that they are not what you're looking for in a wireless launch system. Could you give us more details as to what you're looking for in a wireless launch system?

Brad

Hello Brad, @RocketRev
Are you still making a single station wireless ?
How do I order one ?

Last edited:
Serious question: was that a joke? Are you actually looking for a screw-on retainer in that scale? Are you looking for something, anything more than friction?

Perfectly serious, Joe.
Have you built MicroMaxx?
Ever tried friction fit on those motors?
In this day and age why are we still friction fitting MicroMaxx motors?
For that matter why are there rocket stands for 13,18,24 and 29mm but none for 6mm (Micromaxx).
It's a neglected market segment.
A wire engine hook for MX is perfectly doable.
Doesn't have to be screw on.
Rant over.
I feel so much better. 😁

Perfectly serious, Joe.
For that matter why are there rocket stands for 13,18,24 and 29mm but none for 6mm (Micromaxx).
Rant over.
I feel so much better. 😁
Seems like I touched a nerve there. Sorry. The notion of a screw-on retainer for 6 mm would be a joke, but I don't disagree about a wire retainer or some other solution. There should be a standard the moment another manufacturer expresses interest making in such engines, and I'd like to think there will be. As long as it's a one player market there's no reason for a standard.

There's a motor retention technique for minimum diameter rockets shown in Tim van Milligan's book that uses a piece of piano wire bent into three sides of a rectangle, two long sides and one short, where the short side goes over part of the bottom of the engine, staying clear of the nozzle of course, and the long sides are buried in fin fillets. I've started using that method on larger than minimum diameter rockets, with the ling sides going through pinholes in the aft centering ring. It seems like that should work nicely for MicroMax.

Modular Electronics - Altimeter, timers, apogee detection, camera, tracker, toaster oven, all modular to one bus. Buy the modules you need to plug into ONE bus & battery. Upgrade at your leisure
By "bus" do you mean data sharing among the modules? That would be very cool, to have a standard layout for that, along with a single battery rail and maybe dedicated event lines.

There's a thread here somewhere here from a person starting up a product line of PCBs that accept multiple modules and serves as a sled while using traces on the board to replace wiring. It's not what you're describing, since it has to be customized for each configuration of modules*, but it does seem like a small step in the right direction.

I think this would be a fun topic to discuss further, in a smaller group, if we can get at least two manufacturers into said group. Without two or more players ready to cooperate in adopting a new standard, it would be mostly pointless.

If you'd like, I could try to draw up some sort of rough draft proposal. If you've in mind to do such a thing yourself, or have someone else in mind to do it, then I will happily refrain from butting in.

* Actually, not every combination of modules needs a unique board. There are some board layouts that will accommodate module A or module B, but to a fairly limited degree.

Apogee has a very nice dual deployment bt55 ebay. I went that route because a fear the half deployed chute winding up as it comes down.

I'd like to see:
Pre beveled fins in fiberglass or carbon kits.

Generally longer airframes that require less nose weight.

Refinement of low power and medium power dual deployment systems and rockets. Particularly securing ebay to payload sections. Thin nuts and button head screws are what I use, not rivets.

Mylar streamers in cheap bt20 kits instead of orang steamers. Mylar seems to have more drag and opens better.

Modular Electronics - Altimeter, timers, apogee detection, camera, tracker, toaster oven, all modular to one bus. Buy the modules you need to plug into ONE bus & battery. Upgrade at your leisure
You forgot the microwave oven and flat-screen TV! ;)

Would a flatscreen be launched like a spool rocket? or would the motor be mounted / inserted in the base / stand?

Does it need to be turned on to launch successfully?

Perfectly serious, Joe.
Rant over.
I feel so much better. 😁
I think a heavy duty paper clip, or even a regular paper clip, could be easily fashioned into an engine retainer. All you need is a ruler, a needle nose plier and a snipper to cut it to length.

There's a thread here somewhere here from a person starting up a product line of PCBs that accept multiple modules and serves as a sled while using traces on the board to replace wiring. It's not what you're describing, since it has to be customized for each configuration of modules*, but it does seem like a small step in the right direction.

* Actually, not every combination of modules needs a unique board. There are some board layouts that will accommodate module A or module B, but to a fairly limited degree.
Siegecraft has been working on it, albeit slowly...
Yup, that's the one! But it's not really modular, as in you can take one altimeter (or flight computer, camera controller, etc.) out and put a different one in using a standard interface. That would need manufacturers to agree to comply with said standard interface.

Do you think this could be used as a wireless launch controller?
https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/2/6/alpha-firing-module
They sell these for fireworks, so it's intended for e-matches. It doesn't state the max firing amps for the one and four queue (base systems), so you would need to inquire of them what that is to make sure it can handle igniters. It does say it uses 9V batteries, which may be marginal; I only use 12V on MPR/HPR. It also doesn't look like the 1 and 4 queue systems have a lockout feature (keys visible on 12 and 32 queue units), so if safety matters, perhaps not a good choice.

The 12 queue systems (6V - 20V) and up (9V - 27V) have plenty of fire power. 100 meters will let you handle everything up through L2. 200 meters will handle L3. Why the 12 queue system only goes 100 meters and the 1 - 4 queue system goes 200 meters is a mystery.

My wireless setup, used flawlessly for 2 years now

12 volt MC Battery
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332121954674https://www.ebay.com/itm/350931757529https://www.ebay.com/itm/254393845207
All fits in small tool bag

View attachment 471910
Pretty slick rig - add a simple mechanical battery “interrupt” (I’m supposing a piece of flat plastic stock as a launch key) and this would probably even be within the NAR safety code - nice 👍

And under $50 depending on your power supply!

I like it. On the remote the on/off buttons are the safety key and there’s another button that has to be pressed for launch?

Back