what material do you use to make center rings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use the cardboard of the box that my rocket supplies come in. I order tubes, NCs and engines and get FREE cardboard! It has worked for my low powered rockets.

Well, I'm really curious how you make the honeycomb - I'm always looking for new techniques.

OKAY! Sorry for the delay. Got busy with house shizzle.

The first version was made from squares of cardboard with a honeycomb paper center. I simply cut out the rings, peeled the paper off the honeycomb inner structure, reglued it with Gorilla wood glue, and let them dry. BT-80 sized ring, 13mm thick weighed in at a touch over 4 grams.

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0334.jpg

My home built versions were a bit simpler in the inner structure, but with the same idea. These are going into a competition Parachute duration rocket that the rules allow a minimum diameter of 40mm, minimum weight of 120 grams, and running a C impulse 18mm engine. So far my BT-80 stubby rocket weighs in at 105 grams without a parachute (will be made soon).

DSCN0317.jpg

And they are quite light.

DSCN0318.jpg

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but here is my two cents worth. I was making CR yesterday and wondered if anyone else makes their own? Sure enough, I found this thread. I got a bunch for free last week from a club rocket launch,I can't believe no one else wanted them, and body tubes too! Anyway, I use cardboard seperators from licquer boxes. They are free,just ask for them, thick like CR cardboard and best of all, FREE!
There is a lot of good ideas here, Thanks guys!

centering rings 001.JPG

Back