What material are reload liners?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
What material are the black liners used in Aerotech and Cesaroni reloads? I know they are "phenolic," but what type/grade/etc.?

This is what's on CTI's Motor Data Safety Sheets for 24 - 98 mm:

Emergency Overview:
There articles contain cylinders of ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, encased in inert plastic parts.
The forward closure also contains a few grams of black powder. ProX Rocket motor reload kits are classified
as explosives, and may cause serious injury, including death if used improperly. All explosives are dangerous
and must be handled carefully and used following approved safety procedures under the direction of competent,
experienced personnel in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Avoid
inhaling exhaust products.

General Appearance:
Cardboard tubes contain various plastic parts. Inside the plastic tube are cylinders of composite propellant
(rocket fuel). The forward closure also contains a small quantity of black powder. All parts are odourless solids.

This is what's on CTI's Motor Data Safety Sheets for 24 - 98 mm:

Emergency Overview:
There articles contain cylinders of ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, encased in inert plastic parts.
The forward closure also contains a few grams of black powder. ProX Rocket motor reload kits are classified
as explosives, and may cause serious injury, including death if used improperly. All explosives are dangerous
and must be handled carefully and used following approved safety procedures under the direction of competent,
experienced personnel in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Avoid
inhaling exhaust products.

General Appearance:
Cardboard tubes contain various plastic parts. Inside the plastic tube are cylinders of composite propellant
(rocket fuel). The forward closure also contains a small quantity of black powder. All parts are odourless solids.

"Plastic" is a very general term applied to many materials. What we commonly refer to as "fiberglass" (cured resin reinforced with glass cloth) is properly FRP - fiberglass reinforced plastic. I was just curious if anyone knew offhand what specific type/grade/whatever the liners are. But, thanks for replying.

I worked in the automotive industry for a while with a lot of plastic injection molded and blow molded parts. The Cesaroni liner material reminds me of nylon. PA6 and PA66 are both really commonly used, not too expensive, and they hold up well against heat and chemicals (which is why they are popular for auto applications). I could be totally wrong also...there is a lot of plastic in the world. They could just as easily be a PE of some kind (PET, HDPE) or PVC, or something totally different.

Whatever it is probably isn't a big trade secret. Have you tried asking them?

What material are the black liners used in Aerotech and Cesaroni reloads? I know they are "phenolic," but what type/grade/etc.?
AT uses both spiral and/or convolute wound paper, and phenolic/paper liners.

CIT use an injection molded or extruded thermoplastic resin for the 38 mm motors. The larger sizes look like a convolute paper/phenolic.

Back