What makes this Big Bertha so desirable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Super Sabre
Is this Vern Estes ? Is this really the first Big Bertha ? Year photo taken ?

Well, that sure looks like Vern. The lack of a crew cut, and the graying sideburns, probably put it more recent than the 1960s, but that's guesswork.

And the BB in the photo looks an awful lot like the pictures of the original BB that Vern has, as shown in Launch Magazine issue #1 (he still has that original, which he himself built as a kitbashed Astron Ranger).

Can someone provide some information about this picture ? Is this Vern Estes ? Is this really the first Big Bertha ? Year photo taken ?

bigbertha.jpg

Thanks for any info provided !!

SS

Ummm yeah, I took the pictures. It is Vern, it is the original Big Bertha and it was taken in the Early to Mid 80s at a NARAM most likely in Allentown PA.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Ummm yeah, I took the pictures. It is Vern, it is the original Big Bertha and it was taken in the Early to Mid 80s at a NARAM most likely in Allentown PA.

That's great Rokitflite !! Thanks for the info (and for posting the picture earlier in this old thread I dug up from 2004). This is one great photograph.

Thanks, SS

Originally posted by stymye
I thought they were always plastic?

They started coming with plastic nose cones around 1972 or 73. About the time the Goonybirds came out.

Note that the plastic nose was almost a 1/2" shorter than the balsa nose cone. (You can get an original shaped balsa cone from Semroc)

Also, there were two types of plastic cones. The originals were injection-molded, two piece, with a back plate that took a screw-eye. The second one was the blow-molded version we're familiar with.

Also, due to the wear and tear on the plumb grinders Estes used to make the balsa cones, the shape of the cones tended to vary, at least as far as O.D was concerned.

Originally posted by Steve
Believe me - I wish I had some kits that would sell for that much. :)

I think sandman's right about the model's ugliness being it's charm. It's not futuristic, or slick-looking like some others - but it came out in what, the mid 60's? (Even earlier, if you count the Ranger). I won't argue that it's not ugly, but it's size and shape make it a good outlet for some creative decorating - if you're into that. To each his own...

S..

wowee... That's exactly how I painted my second or third Bertha back in the day, except my nose cone was black. I used painted Scotch Magic Transparent tape for the stripes.

(grrr... Can't attach in an edit, and can't delete my own post to start over. I HATE this software.)

Anyway, here's a pic of me and my friends and some of our rockets. Summer '69 timeframe. The Bertha I'm holding is mine, minus the spiral stripes I soon applied.

That's great Rokitflite !! Thanks for the info (and for posting the picture earlier in this old thread I dug up from 2004). This is one great photograph.

Thanks, SS

Here's that same Bertha in 2005 at NARCON.

Originally posted by Fishhead
Here's that same Bertha in 2005 at NARCON.

I note that the fins (esp. at the bottom) are rounder than the current BB design. IIRC, they were rounder in some of the pictures of the Ranger I've seen in old Estes catalogs. Is it accurate that they were originally rounder than they are now, or is that just wear and tear?

man, i can't tell you how many things i bought off ebay for Nostalgia purposes

but recently i bought a Phoenix rocket cause of the memory of my dad and i launching and losing one.

Originally posted by Jirimar
man, i can't tell you how many things i bought off ebay for Nostalgia purposes

Me too, it's like an obsession sometimes.

OK,
This thread is forcing me to make a decal sheet to match the yellow, black & white roll pattern scheme of the early 80s Bertha. If I EVER get the model finished I will post pictures.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by kenobi65
I note that the fins (esp. at the bottom) are rounder than the current BB design. IIRC, they were rounder in some of the pictures of the Ranger I've seen in old Estes catalogs. Is it accurate that they were originally rounder than they are now, or is that just wear and tear?

Based on an "up close and personal" observation, I'd say years of wear and tear.

Back