What "Level" are you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you want to see the movie

• yes

• no

• the what?

• yes

• no

• the what?

Results are only viewable after voting.
lately ive been trying to get my dad addicted to rocketry so he can help me out alil on the spending... (FYI when he gets involved in somethine he'll do a months work of research and get everything he can possibly find on the stuff)

i figure all i gotta let him do is press the button the next time i launch and he'll be hooked for life

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
(FYI when he gets involved in somethine he'll do a months work of research and get everything he can possibly find on the stuff)

Yep, I'm the same way. I spent weeks researching stuff on the 'net before getting my first mid & hi-power kits. Even took the L2 practice test online (got an 82% on the second try)!

Originally posted by rabidsheeep
i figure all i gotta let him do is press the button the next time i launch and he'll be hooked for life

When I was a boy, that's how I got my dad started. Many of my fondest childhood memories are flying rockets with Dad, myself and a friend.

While I enjoy flying all of my A-E kits, which are mostly Estes, I recently sent up an Interceptor G which is of course a 29mm kit. So now I have the bug to convert some other Estes kits to 29mm(i.e. The Shadow and Optima). Well that's just not enough. I want to try at least a 38mm kit.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I plan on going for my level1 this year, and maybe L2. I have been getting all my info from Tripoli Rocketry. I just nedd the $$$$$.

https://www.tripoli.org/

Certing any level with TRA or NAR requires membership in that organization. My renewal dues with TRA this year are $60.00 and that is without HPR magazine. NAR is $25.00 to $62.00 depending on your age, also, SR magazine is not included. Both magazines are an additional fee.

Unless you fly sponsored you or your sponser will need a LEUP, $100.00 or a LUP, $25.00 and have to comply with BATFE storage requirements. Then, a L1 capable rocket and "H" motor and the RMS casing. Then, buy gas to get to the site, food, a big canopy to get out of the sun, a table, lawn chairs and a big range box chock full of everything you could possibly need.

Course, you won't just fly your cert rocket so you'll need a bunch more rockets and lots of motors.

Aint cheap, but it is so much fun!!!!

Originally posted by Swimmer
Unless you fly sponsored you or your sponser will need a LEUP, $100.00 or a LUP, $25.00 and have to comply with BATFE storage requirements. Then, a L1 capable rocket and "H" motor and the RMS casing. Then, buy gas to get to the site, food, a big canopy to get out of the sun, a table, lawn chairs and a big range box chock full of everything you could possibly need.

It's... a... hobby... if you wanted to save your money, go put it in the bank or the stock market!

Hobbies are SUPPOSED to turn your money into happiness... look at anything else: golf, backpacking, stamp collecting for crying out loud! People spend hundreds of dollars for a piece of paper!

But it's whatever makes you happy... personally, I love HPR (swoosh, pop got old ;)). But modrocs are just as great, if not more of, a challenge for me, because I can't get my fingers (or hands... or arms...) inside of them to work on them. I still love to fly em too... I consider one of my greatest feats last year a 7x 13mm cluster model! THAT was fun :D

It's... a... hobby... remember that!

Certing any level with TRA or NAR requires membership in that organization. My renewal dues with TRA this year are $60.00 and that is without HPR magazine. NAR is $25.00 to $62.00 depending on your age, also, SR magazine is not included. Both magazines are an additional fee.
Not be nit-picky, but SR does come with your membership in NAR. If you want First-class postage, then that is extra, but the magazine subscription is not extra.

Prowlerguy,

Don't want to split hairs, but you are paying for the magazine as the $12.00 subscription is is included in NAR'S dues per the last paragraph on the "Join the NAR" page, you just don't have the option of opting out of the subscription and getting $12.00 deducted from your dues unless, when a family joins, one member pays full dues, which includes SR subscription of $12.00 and all subsequent members of the same family that join can deduct the $12.00 from their yearly dues. Then, if one chooses, add $14.75 for first class postage.

What NAR is saying, dues are $50.00 for me a senior, $12.00 for SR magazine that I have to take, and if I want the magazine before the sun burns out, add $14.75.

Then, buy gas to get to the site, food, a big canopy to get out of the sun, a table, lawn chairs and a big range box chock full of everything you could possibly need.

Don't forget the launch fee that some clubs charge if you're not a member, and plenty of sunblock, especially if you're Irish [I go white-red-burn-peel in 45 minutes].

Certed L1 on a PML Callisto with an AT H97.

Certed L2 on a PML Hydra with a Pro38 6g (J330).

Going to L3 on a BSD L3 Horizon on a AT M1315 possibly some time in the next year or so...

Well, I would vote, but your poll doesent have a .9999999999999999999 (Close Enough, aready!) option.

What the heck, I fly Hs and Is, I'm as good as L1. Should I vote? Ill vote for my dad anyway. Either way, he has the card, and I just fly rockets WITH his card.... Close enough. L1 is my vote, but soon he will be L2.

Level 2...many J and K flights under my belt! I fly through my dad technically, but I know just about as much as any other L2 flier. I'd love to fly a 75mm Motor this year, maybe a K560W if I can make a relatively cheap rocket. We'll see how it goes:)

L2 here. L3 will come someday. I would have done the L3by now, but all my designs keep getting converted for EX superpower and become unfeasable for a L3. Such as the 4x upscaled Arreaux, the upscaled matrix, and the most recent Sumo which would have been very cool on an M1315.

I will build them all, but the plans have changed on them because SOMEONE you all know on this forum has been putting bad ideas in my head.:kill: ;)

Level 2 is not far off for me...as soon as I get this rocket retrofit for hybrid flights.

[photo taken in February 1993 at a launch in Morris, CT]

Thats what, 2 dozen fins on that thing? you got a Rocsim file for that? I would like to see the design... How did it fly? Thats quite a bit of plywood you went through, thats for sure! The things you can do when you have a job.....

16 fins, actually. I used a pretty heavy plywood, too; I think maybe 3/16". Never RocSimmed it. The first two times I flew it, it flew straight as an arrow. Its last flight, at LDRS 15 [see High Power Rocketry April 1997, page 68, bottom center photo] on an I284, was in more of a corkscrew pattern due to a kink in the tube. It sat in my mother's garage in Connecticut for 6 years until I cut it into small enough pieces to fit into my Neon for the drive back to Georgia. I haven't yet started on repairs only because I want to have all the pieces in place before I begin so I can do it right the second time.

You never simmed it? Thats odd.... I sim all the rockets I make, and many I dont make! It just feels safer that way... Especially if I were making a rocket with 16 fins..... To each his own, I guess. You really need to get yourself a big van or something... Neons just can hold that many rockets.....

Originally posted by Neil
You never simmed it? Thats odd....
Not really. Keep in mind I built it over 11 years ago,; all we had back them was a computer program that crudely calculated CP.

Ahh yes, Neil, I remember him well...PM'd him once asking for his whereabouts, and he said he has moved on, that rocketry was not his 'thang' anymore...actually said alot more, but I'll refrain.

Anyone else here remember the enthusiasm in this young flier?

Johnnie

Certified Level 1 but never use it! Biggest thing I fly are 5 D12 BP clusters. That's more than enough smoke, fire and Noise for this Ol'e rocketeer with more then enough lift to carry my 3.3lb LMR's to a respectable altitude:)

You're really tickling the limits ...

Launching a five-motor D12 cluster, you're just 0.35 grams of propellant from requiring Level 1 certification for the flight! If one of the motors has just 1.5% too much propellant in it or your rocket weighs just a little more .... :)

-- Roger

It's... a... hobby... if you wanted to save your money, go put it in the bank or the stock market!

Hobbies are SUPPOSED to turn your money into happiness... look at anything else: golf, backpacking, stamp collecting for crying out loud! People spend hundreds of dollars for a piece of paper!

But it's whatever makes you happy... personally, I love HPR (swoosh, pop got old ;)). But modrocs are just as great, if not more of, a challenge for me, because I can't get my fingers (or hands... or arms...) inside of them to work on them. I still love to fly em too... I consider one of my greatest feats last year a 7x 13mm cluster model! THAT was fun :D

It's... a... hobby... remember that!

I'm with David on this one. Eveyone has their thing that they are more than willing to spend WAY too much money on.. For me it's high power rocketry.

But that's why it's a hobby. Some of my friends are really into computers, so they always have the greatest, fastest, newest gadget on the block. Some folks are into horses, some are into cars, and some are into clothes/accessories. Some hobbies are cheaper, some are more expensive, but the cost of the hobby shouldn't be relative to the enjoyment you get from it.

I used to be NAR L1, but I've let it lapse, so I voted none but planning to. I think once I get some more time or turn 21 I'll re-cert.
Reed

Got L1 in 2007 at NERRF 3 with a LOC 4" V2 and a Cesaroni H143 Smokey Sam. Then flew the rest of the event with H, I and cluster flights that required the cert.

Later in the season, that same rocket grew to include a ring fin and dual deployment and was going to by my L2 until an unplanned thermal event resulting in garbage bag recovery :surprised:

Finalized plans for my L2 project today and ordered tubes from LOC: a 4' dual deploy with angled tube fins. Plan to go for it in April when my club, CMASS, starts launching again.

How about .5? I certed and everything went well but I lost my paper work so it never got sent in.

Absolutely certifiable
and L2 certified...:D

Building a couple L1 designs and a large L2 design,
a few L3 projects taking shape in rocksim as a feasibility
study...

Not likely to happen this year thou...

Level 1.5 wasn't a choice in the poll. I've passed the Level 2 written test and, if the rocket gods see fit, on Saturday I'll fulfill the flight part of the certification process!

-- Roger

Level 1.5 wasn't a choice in the poll. I've passed the Level 2 written test and, if the rocket gods see fit, on Saturday I'll fulfill the flight part of the certification process!

-- Roger
Good luck Saturday.

What are you flying?

Back